Zeke & Recurring Cystic Blisters

On July 1st, I brought Zeke to the vet where he was treated for a cystic type blister on his back right foot. Fluid was drained, he was placed on antibiotics and it seemed to heal nicely. Today he was treated for two cystic blisters on his left rear foot that came on very suddenly. As his corns have quieted down for a bit, he has not been wearing his Thera-paws so we are not sure what is causing these blisters. The liquid expressed seems slightly bloody and the blisters immediately flatten out when the pressure is reduced.

Has anyone heard or had experience with cystic blisters and their cause? We'd like to prevent him from developing more but the vet doesn't know what the cause could be either. Thanks for your input and help.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Fasave

My "corn dog" had a cyst between his toes on a back foot which also had a corn. It too was treated with antibiotics and it too was pretty painful. This was the only time and it hasn't come back. Not sure what caused it. I hope Zeke has seen his last as well.

My "corn dog" had a cyst between his toes on a back foot which also had a corn. It too was treated with antibiotics and it too was pretty painful. This was the only time and it hasn't come back. Not sure what caused it. I hope Zeke has seen his last as well.

That is interesting to know. I wondered if there was any connection with the corns. The blisters formed between or above the toes where the pads had been treated for corns. Thanks for this information - its definitely a possibility. I hope your "corn dog" has success with getting rid of those pesky corns and no more blisters.

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Guest handpicked

Are the blisters on the margins of the pads themselves or between the toes? I personally haven't seen anything like this, but there is the possibility it could be some sort of mucus membrane issue (immune mediated like lupus.) Could also be infection or possibly even viral. Since I haven't seen this personally, I am at a loss!! Hugs to you and Zeke!!

No experience with this but sending good thoughts and hugs to you and Zeke.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Are the blisters on the margins of the pads themselves or between the toes? I personally haven't seen anything like this, but there is the possibility it could be some sort of mucus membrane issue (immune mediated like lupus.) Could also be infection or possibly even viral. Since I haven't seen this personally, I am at a loss!! Hugs to you and Zeke!!

The blisters are forming between his toes and above the pads on the foot itself rather than on the margins of the pads. In searching the net yesterday, I did find an article on "Interdigital Cysts" in dogs that sounded very much like Zeke's symptoms. There are a variety of causes including bacterial infection, allergic reaction to something in the yard, an insect bite on his foot or even thyroid imbalance.

As the right foot resolved with antibiotics, I'll see how his left foot heals with this new dose of medication. If there is still a recurring pattern I will suggest to the vet that we do a thyroid test. Between the corns and now this new issue, poor Zeke is having a tough time walking.

Thanks everyone for all your good wishes and thoughts.