Sam E Bammer Update!

Guest kaotic1

Guest kaotic1

Hello,

Long time no see. I haven't been on the forum lately. Lots and lots of things have been going on. I am really worried about Sam though and hope some of you might have some thoughts on what is going on with my boy. The Saturday before last I noticed Sam was circling the floor and would lay down then get up again. Over and Over. This is not like Sam he usually lays down and stays down. Then I let him out to potty and same thing circled acted like he was going to pee and wouldn't. Continued to circle 3-4 times before going. I immediately took him to the vet thinking urinary tract infection.

On describing his symptoms the vet said "sounds like obstructed tract" but on examining him his bladder was fine. As soon as he touched Sam's back he went thru the roof!! After much xrays and blood work the result was Sam has a herniated disc. They also said his creatine levels were high and were concerned about his kidneys but first we have to get him over his back issues. They put him on Prednisone and Tramadol and cage rest. After a week he was looking SOOO much better. Had more pep in his step wanted to go for walks (but can't).

We really thought he had turned a corner until this morning. We had lots of puppy pads down in the house because the pred makes him pee more and it catches his accidents. This morning he had another and in the middle of the pad was a spot of blood. Immediately he went off to the vet this morning. They could barely TOUCH his bladder and he hit the ceiling. They had to sedate him to get a urine catch (twice). He has had xrays and they see no kidney stones and believe he has a raging urinary tract infection.

They are still concerned about his kidneys but the blood work shows they have improved somewhat. The other issue I noticed is that in the week since his last visit his weight has dropped 5 pounds (give or take a pound or two for wiggling on the scale). Since he is on cage rest eating his normal diet I would think he would GAIN weight not lose it.

I am so worried about him!!! He just turned 6 in June. Until two weeks ago I would have said he was an extremely healthy boy. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Please think good thoughts for Sam E Bammer!!! He does not like sleeping downstairs and he whines and howls all night.

Jenn

Update 8/2

Sam just had another recheck and he is doing much better. I have been weaning him off the Tramadol to see if he is really better or just feeling better because of the pain releivers. He has been just the same without the tramadol so I think the pain has gone away. The vet examined his back and he had no pain during the exam! Vet says he can start short 5 minute walks and increase 5 minutes every 4-5 days. They are rechecking his urine as well today. Fingers crossed! I think he is doing better!

Edited by kaotic1

Poor guy. I hope he starts feeling better soon. He may be a bit stressed, which can make him lose weight. Also, depending on his meds, they can possibly cause him to lose weight. Also, was he weighed on the same scale as last time? If not, they can be calibrated differently, so as long as he looks like he's a healthy weight, I wouldn't worry.

Guest BlackandBrindle

As long as he's not emaciated, don't worry too much about weight fluctuations. I think it's a pretty normal thing to gain and lose, but since we don't weight them every day we don't always see it, ya know?

What antibiotics do they have him on?

We will think lots of good thoughts for your boy. Is chiropractic care an option for his back? Or acupuncture?

Guest 4dogscrazy

I'd either move his crate upstairs with you or sleep on the couch with him. The howling all night means he is not getting enough rest either, which he needs to heal. I'm guessing no stairs for his back, so I understand that. So sorry he's not feeling well...keep us up to date!

He's dropping weight because of the pred. They lose muscle mass very quickly. Did they culture the urine?? Might be time for an ultrasound.

And when you say quickly, you're not kidding. I saw this happen with Misty.

I too wonder if they grew a culture and what antibiotic he's on

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest kaotic1

Hello, Sam seems down today. He is on Clavamox for the urinary infection and Prednisone and Tramadol for the back issues. They are doing a culture on his urine but were unable to do it via a needle as even sedated he was too painful. They did draw it via catheter but they say that is not ideal. Hopefully the Clavamox will help. He seems kind of down today, although the Vet said he might seem a bit sore. He had lots of test done yesterday and was at the vet ALL day long. Poor boy.

Once they grow that culture, he may need a different antibiotic to knock that UTI out.

Hoping he feels better, poor guy has been through quite a bit

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Almost sounds like he's trying to pass a kidney stone. Keep mind that not all stones will show up on a radiograph. The only real way to check would be via an ultrasound. Is your vet equipped? Are you near a university? This is not just a uti--not if he had to be sedated just to obtain a urine sample.

Saw Sams name :o

Hope your vet gets to the bottom of it soon save him being uncomfortable anymore. Someone here said possibly it's a kidney stone. That sounds really feasible to me....

Sending well wishes for your special boy.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest kaotic1

I'd either move his crate upstairs with you or sleep on the couch with him. The howling all night means he is not getting enough rest either, which he needs to heal. I'm guessing no stairs for his back, so I understand that. So sorry he's not feeling well...keep us up to date!

Yeah the poor boiy is not allowed up stairs right now. If I could carry him I would but I do go downstairs for part of the night. I have to sleep part of the night upstairs or my back starts to hurt. He is getting better with it... but even a little whining and crying breaks my HEART.

Guest kaotic1

He seems much much better tonight!!! He trotted outside and did his number 1 without a problem!! Clear, golden joy!!! I never enjoyed watching a bodily function that much!!! He seems chipper and was happy to eat his supper! I, however, am a nervous wreck. Let's just not go into descriptions of the pill giving process... hmm? Suffice it to say I got in my car to go to the grocery store for cheese. Fingers crossed for till Saturday when he has a recheck at the Vet.

Jenn

We will think lots of good thoughts for your boy. Is chiropractic care an option for his back? Or acupuncture?

I am going to consider that when he gets past this hump. Right now... gotta get him over his bladder/kidney issues. Who'd thunk he would turn a corner like this? At 6 years too!

Guest kaotic1

Sam is doing much better. He had his follow up visit with the Vet and they were able to palpate both his back and his bladder without pain. He is starting really perk up and he hasn't had any accidents in several days. Saturday he shredded the puppy pads and knotted up a rug. I am not sure if that is a subtle hint he feels better or just some rebellion. He has stopped whining downstairs probably due to the nifty treats I give him when I go to bed now! LOL.

Vet stills says reduced activity is essential: no stairs, no walks, no high activity. I am trying to convince HIM of that. He has started rearing on his back legs again and getting excited. I am like "Yay SAM for feeling better but STOP NOW!" I am soo glad to see him getting back to his old self.

Jenn

Guest kaotic1

Sam is doing much better. He had his follow up visit with the Vet and they were able to palpate both his back and his bladder without pain. He is starting really perk up and he hasn't had any accidents in several days. Saturday he shredded the puppy pads and knotted up a rug. I am not sure if that is a subtle hint he feels better or just some rebellion. He has stopped whining downstairs probably due to the nifty treats I give him when I go to bed now! LOL.

Vet stills says reduced activity is essential: no stairs, no walks, no high activity. I am trying to convince HIM of that. He has started rearing on his back legs again and getting excited. I am like "Yay SAM for feeling better but STOP NOW!" I am soo glad to see him getting back to his old self.

Jenn

Almost sounds like he's trying to pass a kidney stone. Keep mind that not all stones will show up on a radiograph. The only real way to check would be via an ultrasound. Is your vet equipped? Are you near a university? This is not just a uti--not if he had to be sedated just to obtain a urine sample.

That's what I think; kidney or bladder stones. Those are some fairly classic symptoms.

If the Clavamox doesn't work FAST, ask your vet to prescribe Baytril. Clavamox didn't do it for George, but Baytril did. My vet refers to it as "the big guns."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thank goodness. Let us know how the urine checks out, OK? That was some scary stuff you guys went thru.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:yay :yay :yay

Hope he continues to get better.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)