Now Frightened Of Other Dogs?!?

Guest Hokie

Guest Hokie

Hello I am new to this forum, but I have been reading it on and off for the past 9 weeks since I adopted my 1st greyhound, Buster.

I have a wonderful park right across the street from my house that is about a .5 - .6 mile loop and I walk buster there 3 - 4 times a day for about 20 minutes at a time. We would routinely see other dogs there and Buster would act a little curious, or tuck his tail and be very nervous. But I never ever sensed that he was in danger or that he was 100% scared and did not want to be around another dog. The other morning while walking, we passed and older gentleman with 2 dogs, 1 large breed dog and a very small Shih Tzu type of dog that started flipping out as soon as he saw Buster and I. While he was on the leash, he essentially attacked his owner, causing him to drop the leash, then came after Buster and I. Well poor buster, while he did not get bit, he walked the rest of the time in front of me and kept looking behind him to ensure he was fine. I kept reassuring him, which may have been a mistake because I was not trying to re-enforce his fear.

After this mini-attack, Bust seemed ok for the first few days, I did notice he was a little panicked when he saw a man and his dog jogging one day, but it wasn't a negative response. Then today, during his lunch walk, we were entering the park and there was a couple with three dogs. The three dogs did nothing aggressive, they were jsut exiting as we were entering the park. First, Buster started pulling on his leash trying to go the opposite direction, which I would not allow. Then I noticed the hair all down his back was raised. While we avoided the other three dogs and I didn't allow Buster to be greeted or greet them, he keep pulling away and for a good few minutes after he was walking like after the other dog had attacked him. We also saw a woman walking a lab about 200 yards away, and even at that distance he was paranoid and wanted to get out of that area as soon as possible.

I am wondering if anyone has dealt with a change like this or had their dogs attacked and how long till they became more comfortable or if they ever did become more comfortable again.

Any help or words of encouragement are welcome...

Thanks!!!

I know there are several on the board who have had their dogs attacked by another that took quite a while to rehab back to the point where they could be around other dogs again. I would be curious to see if your boy acted the same way around another greyhound, since he has never really show great enthusiasm about meeting other breeds.

Hopefully someone can chime in here who has experience. I avoid parks with my hounds for that very reason.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

When you see another dog approach, offer your dog a small treat and tell him good boy. He will understand that when another dog approaches, he will get a reward and that it is not a bad thing. We used to do this with one of our dogs who was leash aggressive. But, keep yourself aware, so that you are not late on offering the treat. If he has spotted the other dog before you, you have to catch up with your offer. You will notice, after a while, when a dog approaches, he will look to you for his treat. Always have something to offer in your pocket.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Hokie

Thanks for the quick Reply Guys. Houndtime, I will try the treats. I have been looking for a treat that buster wants every time, he can be picky and decide he doesn't need a treat sometimes. Currently I am using a Lamb flavored liver pieces.

As for meeting other Greys... Buster met my Brothers greyhound, Uncle Jerry, and his first reaction was to run around the back yard with him even though Buster is 6 years old and Uncle Jerry is only 2. They seemed to enjoy each others company and I am looking for some people in my town that would be into a Greyhound play date because there are some great fields that are fenced around here and we could just watch them play and run for a while!

Thanks again guys. I will keep correcting and keep working with him!!

Guest Mom2Shiloh

If you do find some people for a Greyhounds only play date, it's a good idea if all the hounds are muzzled while they play... this is a standard precaution due to Greyhounds having thin skin --- Most Greyhounds are overjoyed to see other Greyhounds (aka "real dogs").

I think the treat idea is splendid, but I also think that your boy doesn't need to meet and great strange dogs.... if he can be relaxed and ignore them that's fine. I have found that it's absolutely necessary to carry minimally a club, heavy walking stick or staff with me. Unfortunately, we have been attacked more than once and I have friends whose Greys have been severely injured or killed by loose dogs. Not to scare you, but you need to be very aware of your environment. I also take my cell phone with me on walks so I can call for help if I need to.

I'd also see if you can find a mixed-breed obedience class with a good trainer somewhere near you. (Make sure that it's someone whos uses only positive, rewards-based methods.) I found this was a great way for my greyhound to meet lots of new dogs under controlled conditions, and learn about all those other weird and wonderful-looking dog breeds out there. I learnt a lot about doggy body language too, and it was a great bonding exercise for both of us!

As Buster is now nervous of other dogs, the trainer may suggest a one-to-one session to assess that and suggest some techniques, before you can progress to a class.

Hope that helps!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

When my Argos was attacked, he was afraid to leave the house for about a month or more, and a barking dog absolutely froze him in his tracks. Then we fostered for two weeks and walking the two dogs together snapped him right out of it. We never had an issue again. I don't know if that's possible for you, but even if you could borrow a dog for walks, or meet a friend for walks for a while, it might help. Good luck!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Hokie

Wow... thanks so much everyone. Buster did well last night and today so far, I have a friend about 20 minutes from my home that has 2 grey's from the same adoption agency so we'll have to try to get together and set a play date.Training is a whole different story. I think i've picked up on a common theme, that grey's will be trained when they are in the mood. I've been trying to teach buster "lay" or "down" command. it's been tough so far, he comes when I call him... but again, there are times when he hears me and just looks and then lays back down!!I'll keep working and hopefully I will be able to contribute to this board someday too! I've got 1 Grey, I wouldn't mind 2 or 50... -Kev

When you see another dog approach, offer your dog a small treat and tell him good boy. He will understand that when another dog approaches, he will get a reward and that it is not a bad thing. We used to do this with one of our dogs who was leash aggressive. But, keep yourself aware, so that you are not late on offering the treat. If he has spotted the other dog before you, you have to catch up with your offer. You will notice, after a while, when a dog approaches, he will look to you for his treat. Always have something to offer in your pocket.

This is what I've done, and my dog is not friendly with other breeds--he's not afraid, believe me...

It's helped a lot!

I'd also walk your dog somewhere else for a while.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck