Can't Shake A Uti

Poor Ducky has had what the vet believes is a UTI for at least around 6 weeks now. The first treatment was Amoxicillan (excuse my spelling) for 2 weeks, then the symptoms came back immediately after stopping the antibiotic. So the next urinalysis we also had cultured and showed ecoli bacteria, etc. and the vet next put him on Clavamoxx for 3 weeks. Now the symptoms have come back immediately again, so off to the vet we went to give another urine sample, and he's now on a 5 week dose of Cefpodoxime. We also had x-rays done to look for bladder stones but the x-ray thankfully was clear.

Has anyone else experience the never-ending UTI and trying several different meds? The next step if this doesn't work will be an ultrasound to look for a tumor :(

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

It sounds like he's on the right antibiotic now, so hopefully this should do the trick.

Unless they culture and identify, many times they're not given the antibiotic they need.

Please keep us posted and hopefully, it's better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

George took Baytril for 14 weeks after shorter courses of other medications failed.

It was expensive, but well worth it!

My question is this: does the urinating STOP on the other antibiotics but come back? Or does it not stop at all??

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

How long has he been on the new antibiotic? I'd check a urine sample after @ a week to make sure it really is killing the stuff; that sample should be clean. Then check the day after meds are finished. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TheDoggfather

Ever consider using cranberry tabs in his food? Might be something to try... we'd use them for a variety of issues including what you've described.

Whilst dogs are different to humans they are still mammals with the same basic physiology.

I suspect your dog has IC (Interstitial Cystitis) and the bladder glycocalyx lining needs to in effect be 're-lined' to prevent irritation and permeability. In human medicine Cystistat or similar drugs can be used for that purpose - it contains sodium hyaluronate.

I have experience of this looking after an elderly person and Ciprofloxacin is the only antibiotic that works, and even that often needs a follow-up course. Trimethoprim and Amox fail totally. See what your vet thinks about the IC idea.

Ever consider using cranberry tabs in his food? Might be something to try... we'd use them for a variety of issues including what you've described.

I should have mentioned that; George has been taking cranberry tablets now since the initial "cure."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Poor Ducky has had what the vet believes is a UTI for at least around 6 weeks now. The first treatment was Amoxicillan (excuse my spelling) for 2 weeks, then the symptoms came back immediately after stopping the antibiotic. So the next urinalysis we also had cultured and showed ecoli bacteria, etc. and the vet next put him on Clavamoxx for 3 weeks. Now the symptoms have come back immediately again, so off to the vet we went to give another urine sample, and he's now on a 5 week dose of Cefpodoxime. We also had x-rays done to look for bladder stones but the x-ray thankfully was clear.

Has anyone else experience the never-ending UTI and trying several different meds? The next step if this doesn't work will be an ultrasound to look for a tumor :(

I have been through this with Missy (my 11 year old)...many antbx with short improvement then return of blood and pain. Her urine was cultured, she cleared up...then returned with different bacteria (second culture) She is now on nirtofur (150mg) Brand name: macrobid. for at least 3 months! I HATE giving her so much medicine, but we had to clear up this UTI. everytime I walk her I am looking for bloody pee..I am sure to add yogurt to her food...Good luck!

Edited by dbullwinkel

I should have mentioned that; George has been taking cranberry tablets now since the initial "cure."

Another vote for cranberry tablets ....

My Lucy got a urinary tract infection last year and I put her on the cranberry tablets before she even finished the antibiotics. Luckily, she has not had a recurrence.

George took Baytril for 14 weeks after shorter courses of other medications failed.

It was expensive, but well worth it!

My question is this: does the urinating STOP on the other antibiotics but come back? Or does it not stop at all??

Yeah, this is the only thing that worked for my puppers. The vet knew not to even suggest anything else. (One of the vet techs used to tease him that I knew more than he did when it came to prescribing antibiotics for my dogs.)

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest eaglflyt

Our girl had numerous UTIs last year and early this year. We were always either culturing, giving another round of antibiotics, repeat culturing until negative .... then repeating the process and using another antibiotic depending on the most recent culture. We even had an e-vet visits because of a UTI. We knew she was *cured* after each infection because of negative urine cultures. We and our vet discussed what was causing this vicious cycle of UTIs. Our girl had a recessed vulva ... a skin flap over her vulva. No matter how diligent I was at keeping everything clean under the skin flap, bacteria that loved that area would enter her vulva, vagina, and ultimately urethra and ascend to her bladder causing another infection. This is a VERY common problem in female greyhounds and I have never actually met a female greyhound that didn't have a recessed vulva!

It seems the fix of repeated UTIs with our girl was surgery to remove that external skin flap. She had it done on March 24th of this year and I'm very pleased to report that she has not had any UTIs since. I know that's only almost 4 months, but we NEVER made it this long without a UTI last year. There's no more worry of the area under the skin flap being a bacterial haven and she's not having the pain of UTIs.

The surgery is called a vulvoplasty or episioplasty. She recovered very quickly ... only real discomfort was the first 2 or 3 days and then just keeping her from licking her stitches for 2 weeks.

Here are some links to more info: HERE and HERE and a veterinary study showing efficacy of the procedure HERE

I'm not suggesting that every female grey needs this surgery, but it has surely benefited our girl and we're very glad we had it done.

Oh, we also used cranberry capsules, Vitamin C, and probiotics. They were helpful, but not the cure for our girl. We no longer give them now ... just a good diet and plenty of fresh water available. ;)

Best wishes to you and your girl!

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I had a similar problem with Spencer last year. The vet would look at his urine and give him antibiotics but because he kept having reoccuring UTIs, the vet took his urine and sent it out for a full culture. When the results came back several days later it determined that Spencer had a problem with some other thing (sorry can't remember exactly) and he was given the wrong antibiotics for the problem so with the culture he was given the right antibiotics and the UTI cleared up and hasn't returned since.

Thanks everyone, I'm really hoping this new antibiotic does the trick. I also started him on cranberry pills today. The vet called today with the most recent urinalysis results which do show an infection, so I'm praying that its nothing worse than that and we will just keep fighting it. I'm at least glad to know it's not unusual to have to keep treating for a while, i worried about him being on meds for so long.

Oh, and eaglflyt, I'm glad to hear you found a solution for your girl! Ducky, however, is a boy :P

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest eaglflyt

Thanks everyone, I'm really hoping this new antibiotic does the trick. I also started him on cranberry pills today. The vet called today with the most recent urinalysis results which do show an infection, so I'm praying that its nothing worse than that and we will just keep fighting it. I'm at least glad to know it's not unusual to have to keep treating for a while, i worried about him being on meds for so long.

Oh, and eaglflyt, I'm glad to hear you found a solution for your girl! Ducky, however, is a boy :P

I am SO sorry! I guess Ady Bea's solution won't work for him very well, will it! :lol Next time I'll be sure to read a little more carefully. :P

Guest mcsheltie

A culture and sensitivity needs to be run. There are many strains of e Coli and each strain will each respond better to different antibiotics.

Boomer had the same thing. Two different rounds of Clavamox. Symptoms returned soon after both rounds. 21 days of Baytril cleared him up for good.

Reoccurring UTIs often need a longer period of treatment than the standard course.

Jen Strike had chronic UTI's and I had him on Baytril for 3 months followed by Amoxicillan. I really think what did the trick was when my mother started coming over midday and let him out. He never had another one after that. Hopefully this round on ab's will do the trick.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

It's odd that the culture and sensitivity has been done and the right antibiotics given but it's not helped. The only things I can think of is that he has prostate trouble or a mechanical bladder issue. A third possibility: does he lick his butt and then his wee? He could be transferring bacteria that way. He might have an anal gland/rectal problem that's causing him to lick the butt and then his wee.