Guest azlorenz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ChasesMum

hugs to your family, and know we are all weeping with you today, and praying for you all when Toby crosses the bridge. I know that the gang up there will greet him with swift paws....

:grouphug:

Thinking of you Falconschild and Allan. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest falconschild

Toby's passing was very quiet and very peaceful. Even though I have a Toby-shaped hole in my heart right now, I know we both were so very fortunate to have known him. And in time, Toby will send a successor to us, and we will have more stories to share. Thanks so much for all your guidance, advice, and comfort. Without knowing about the gabapentin, Toby's time would have been far more painful, and he probably would have had to leave us even sooner.

I'll put up his Remembrance post as soon as I can find the right words.

Guest roselle

Toby's passing was very quiet and very peaceful. Even though I have a Toby-shaped hole in my heart right now, I know we both were so very fortunate to have known him. And in time, Toby will send a successor to us, and we will have more stories to share. Thanks so much for all your guidance, advice, and comfort. Without knowing about the gabapentin, Toby's time would have been far more painful, and he probably would have had to leave us even sooner.

I'm so sorry for your loss Falconschild. You're not alone today, Run free Toby. :gh_runner:angel:grouphug

I'm very sorry for your loss of Toby. Making the decision to let them go is the hardest and the most generous gift you can give them when they are in pain. You will be in our thoughts during this difficult time.

Run free Toby, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry. My heart aches for yours. :(

You may have already, but can you tell us your name? I always hate referring to people by their screen names. I apologize if you already did and I've forgotten. :blush

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest vahoundlover

My heart goes out to you. I am so very sorry you had to say goodbye to Toby. I hate this damn disease and all it robs us of. It's so unfair. :grouphug

Guest falconschild

It's quite all right. I'm Rox, and DH is Allan. The rest of the family is Chewie, the 13-year-old border collie mix who was raised by our first grey and therefore thinks she is a grey, and Merlin, the Siamese-type who is our late Norman-cat's successor. And who has been trying valiantly to fill Norman's pawprints in the comfort department since yesterday.

We've given Toby the biggest doses of painkiller we felt safe giving over the last day...they aren't doing anything anymore. Allan spent last night dozing with him on the couch, but now that he's awake, he's crying again. We've talked it over and thought hard about it. We're going to let Toby cross the Bridge today. He's fought hard and we've fought hard, but persisting would be selfish and for us, not what's best for him. Allan made a very good point this morning. He said, "That's what makes it so hard, makes you want to put it off...aside from the cancer, everything's fine and you know it."

We're going to miss our sweet goofy Goober-dog terribly. Damn this monstrous disease. :weep

So sorry Rox & Allen - It IS a hard decision to make. We are now trying to decide when to let our beautiful Tatum go. Toby was lucky to have such a loving family.

Marilee

I love this message - what a nice way to express what you are feeling.

Marilee

Edited by Tatum

Oh no :grouphug

I lurk in here sometimes guys, wishing I could think of something, anything to say that might be the least bit helpful, but there isn't anything so just know that I am thinking of you and your sweet hounds :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Kyle, I meant to tell you that I will send the artemisinin your way. I think you already PM'ed me your address at some point, but if not, can you do that now? I will send it out sometime next week and I'll PM you exactly what I'm sendign so you know. You don't use artesunate or artemether, just artemisinin, right?

Anyone on the Gabapentin?

Neyla is home. I called the crematory this morning and told them I was ready so they dropped her ashes off this evening. Seeing her name and description on the certificate along with the words "companion of Jennifer..." really threw me. :cry1 I'm not a very spiritual person so for me this just really hammers in the finality of it, but I need to come to grips with it. I thought maybe I'd also write her remembrance tonight, but this was brutal enough so I'm going ot try to do it on Sunday maybe.

Hope everyone is doing okay. Rox & Allan, I hope you're hanging in there. :grouphug Marilee, I hope Tatum is doing okay. :goodluck

Kyle, haven't heard from you for a couple of days. Hope Charlie is still doing well.

Edited by NeylasMom

Mike and I have decided to say goodbye to Arathorn tomorrow. My heart is broken. His tumor has doubled in size in the past couple of weeks, he's not putting any weight on that leg at all now, he cries out in his sleep occasionally, he doesn't want to eat without major enticement (and then only reluctantly) and I believe his pain level has increased significantly. The meds just aren't doing the trick anymore and I cannot let him suffer.

We are 5-1/2 months post-diagnosis and every single day has been an enormous blessing. This is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done!

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Guest falconschild

We're hanging in there about as well as we can. Everyone in the house misses Toby terribly. Chewie is sleeping on his "woobie" (the dog bed he brought with him when he came to us; Toby always seemed to see it as a security blanket of sorts), and Merlin wants to spend a lot of time comforting us as best a little cat is able. It's very strange not to see a red-gold hound asleep on one of the woobies, not to have to step around him, not to have to fix two bowls at mealtime and two treats after potty time...not to be able to kiss the little "worry wrinkle" he had right down the middle of his head between his ears.

Lois, I'll be keeping you and Mike and Arathorn in my mind and heart. May his journey to the Gray Havens be as peaceful as his namesake would have it be.

{{{{{{{{{{Lois}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lois,

I am so sorry. Arathorn has been very brave during this battle and we will keep you all in our thoughts today. Please spoil him rotten today and know that we are all here for you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Lois, I'm so sorry that it is Arathorn's time. I hope the fact that you are doing the kindest and most selfless thing brings you some comfort when it's time. You will be in my thoughts. :grouphug

Too many pups in such a short period of time. :(

Guest roselle

Lois, I'm so sorry that it is Arathorn's time. I hope the fact that you are doing the kindest and most selfless thing brings you some comfort when it's time. You will be in my thoughts. :grouphug

Too many pups in such a short period of time. :(

Jen, I second that "to many pups in a short period of time". This is indeed a very sad and depressing time. Jen if you're holding and looking at Neyla's urn I hope your remembering fond memories of your time with her. Lois I'm so sorry you have to say good by to Arathorn please know that you are not alone today. Whenever we loose a pup it is felt deeply my myself and I'm sure by everyone else with a grey facing this disease. Run free :gh_child:brokenheart:bighug:weep

Guest ChasesMum

Hugs to you Lois and family! Arathorn is a lucky pupper to have such a compassionate family..lots of toasts being raised of late. It does sound like he is having a rough go of it... it sucks, it really really sucks.

Rox, good to hear you are hanging in there. Its so hard to re-adjust especially in the first little bit.

If anyone remembers the friend I posted about, oh a couple/three weeks ago. about her hound with lymphoma... well despite a wonderful response to chemo she had some major complications with that drug. Her momma and the vet we all use thought that she would recover - high test anti nauseants seemed to work last week - but I got an email this morning that Airborne Magic (aka Maggie) lost her battle yesterday. Such a sweet black houndie...and she was a good friend of Chase's too. I am sure they are having a big ol houndie sleepover up there just like the old days...

aaand we are having a MAJOR snowstorm up here. like 24" of snow big. :(

Arathorn went peacefully to the Bridge about Noon on Saturday. It was an incredibly difficult decision but I think it was the right one to make. His pain level had gotten pretty high and we felt it was just selfish for us to keep him here with us when we couldn't offer him a good quality of life. He gave me a kiss this morning, "flat on the lips", which I took as a sign that this was the right step. There's a big empty spot on the couch tonight and it's going to be weird not having to fight for a spot in the bed later but I know he's free of pain and running like crazy at the Rainbow Bridge.

Thanks for all the support from our friends on Greytalk.

Edited by AndysMom

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.