Osteo Diagnosis

Jen,

Charlie's numbers are elevated (protein/creatinine ratio). It came back at 2.7 and today we received the third results at 2.1. We are discussing options and will hopefully make the right decision that will help address this. He's doing fine otherwise, not showing any indication there is anything wrong. It could be the Palladia, it could have been the Doxyrubcin that was given to him (Chemo drug) or it could be genetics. I believe we may stop Palladia for a while and test him again to see what happens.

Here he is surveying his domain. He has gone so white since his dx.

DSC_00853656.jpg

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad to hear that Charlie is doing so well. I think of all of you often. Sirocco has been gone 4 months now and whenever I think of him, it is always with a smile. But then, I don't think my audacious brat is too far away from us in spirit form.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Shannon, I am sorry. :grouphug

Kyle, Charlie is just gorgeous. Give him a big hug.

Jen, give Neyla a big hug, too.

Enjoy every second you have with your hounds. We still miss Whizzer like crazy, but we are assured she is no longer in pain and suffering. We spoil our hounds because they deserve it. There's still a void. . . one of the dog bowls cracked and Whizzer's still sits empty. I still count dogs and feel like there's one missing. Some days are worse than others. But I am really glad I have the other hounds in my house. Although there's a void, it's not completely empty.

Good thoughts for everybody during this holiday season.

Shannon, I am sorry. :grouphug

Kyle, Charlie is just gorgeous. Give him a big hug.

Jen, give Neyla a big hug, too.

Enjoy every second you have with your hounds. We still miss Whizzer like crazy, but we are assured she is no longer in pain and suffering. We spoil our hounds because they deserve it. There's still a void. . . one of the dog bowls cracked and Whizzer's still sits empty. I still count dogs and feel like there's one missing. Some days are worse than others. But I am really glad I have the other hounds in my house. Although there's a void, it's not completely empty.

Good thoughts for everybody during this holiday season.

Thanks, and you too Jen. I hope things continue to get easier for you.

I have a really morbid awful question. I realize there may be other people who haven't joined this thread although thankfully I haven't seen any new osteo threads in H&M recently, but are Charlie and Neyla the only ones still fighting? :cry1 Or are there people who haven't checked in in a while whose pups are still doing okay?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen,

I believe Gracy (or is it Gracey?) is still fighting the brave fight. I don't recall the exact date of her dx but she had amp & chemo. Of course there is also Joejoe who is doing well based on a conversation I had last week with Jane. Unfortunately there are so few left of the original thread...it even surprised our local vet when we mentioned Charlie is one of the last. We did explain though that many did not undergo amp and chemo so this made more sense to him then. This disease is so quick, so horrid as your pups seems fine otherwise until near the end.

Thanks everyone for rooting for Charlie, it does mean something special to him and us. Things are going along well so far and he continues to be a cheeky boy, at night especially. For example last night, we always make sure he goes out after his cottage cheese, flax oil and flax seed treat around 10pm. He will stay out there for ever and it was -6c or around 21f but he didn't care. He runs from one end to the other end of the yard sniffing and doing his thing. Then he decides he wants to go out again at 4am! Does the same thing, no jacket or PJ's on either. I just turn on the spots to make sure everything is lit up well and then I stand there dazed and sleepy while he runs around. Finally he comes back all happy and tucks back onto his bed.

I know it will not be easy for everyone at the holidays without their pups. My heart goes out to all of you and I do hope that in time you will smile when you remember your pups as you gave them something special and they gave back fourfold with their endless love.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Of course, I knew I had to be forgetting someone. :headwall We haven't heard from Gracy's or Joe's moms recently. I'm glad to hear that Joe is continuing to do well. I hope Gracy's mom will check in soon.

Kyle, did you follow Winslow's diary when he was still with us? There were always tons of great stories about his Mr. Fanny. He always ran hot after he went through his chemo. Glynis and Craig would have the AC pumping at the oddest times and Mr. Fanny always had to travel with them. :lol I miss that sweet boy and all of the wonderful stories that were told through his parents. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest roselle

Of course, I knew I had to be forgetting someone. :headwall We haven't heard from Gracy's or Joe's moms recently. I'm glad to hear that Joe is continuing to do well. I hope Gracy's mom will check in soon.

Kyle, did you follow Winslow's diary when he was still with us? There were always tons of great stories about his Mr. Fanny. He always ran hot after he went through his chemo. Glynis and Craig would have the AC pumping at the oddest times and Mr. Fanny always had to travel with them. :lol I miss that sweet boy and all of the wonderful stories that were told through his parents. :(

I thought I posted last night. Yesterday I went to the Ballet, gone 4 hours. Gracy has been great, but when I got home she was screaming in pain. She couldn't sit or lay down. when she tried she would start screaming. Finally she sat on herbut with her one hind leg out in front, but rocked back on her pelvis, very weird. She continued crying. I have never seen her in such pain, NEVER. I gave her metacam and 100mg of tramadol crushed put in liquid (because she kept spitting out the pills in cheese, peanut butter, liverwurst). I couldn't leave her side, she would try to get up and start screaming more. Finally took her to the E.R., USELESS and after 4 hours there took her home. I was a mess. I was crying so hard, my daughter was filling in words for me when speaking to the useless dr. Gracy and me slept on the floor together and I took her to my vet this morning. They are evaluating her now. I was sure there was a fracture in her other hind leg. I'm so scared the beast is back and I am NOT ready to say good by. I don't know how you all go through this with more ten one dog or over and over again. This is a_ell. Please pray for bladder infection or flue. :goodluck:crying:devil:(

I thought I posted last night. Yesterday I went to the Ballet, gone 4 hours. Gracy has been great, but when I got home she was screaming in pain. She couldn't sit or lay down. when she tried she would start screaming. Finally she sat on herbut with her one hind leg out in front, but rocked back on her pelvis, very weird. She continued crying. I have never seen her in such pain, NEVER. I gave her metacam and 100mg of tramadol crushed put in liquid (because she kept spitting out the pills in cheese, peanut butter, liverwurst). I couldn't leave her side, she would try to get up and start screaming more. Finally took her to the E.R., USELESS and after 4 hours there took her home. I was a mess. I was crying so hard, my daughter was filling in words for me when speaking to the useless dr. Gracy and me slept on the floor together and I took her to my vet this morning. They are evaluating her now. I was sure there was a fracture in her other hind leg. I'm so scared the beast is back and I am NOT ready to say good by. I don't know how you all go through this with more ten one dog or over and over again. This is a_ell. Please pray for bladder infection or flue. :goodluck:crying:devil:(

Roselle, I'm so sorry. I only saw your thread a few minutes ago. Did the e-vet at least take an x-ray to rule out osteo/fracture in that leg? What I've been told is that if you see that kind of sudden pain in a leg you know has osteo, if the vet looks at an x-ray and suspects a hairline fracture but can't confirm, that you should assume the leg is fractured. But I would think you would at the very least see evidence of osteo in the leg at the potential fracture site so if they x-rayed and didn't see anything, I would be hopeful that's not what's going on. I will be thinking of you today and hoping for something else, that is easily treatable. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how hard it is to see your precious pup in so much pain so I can only imagine what last night was like for you. Please keep us posted if you can. Thinking of you and Gracy. :hope

Guest roselle

Roselle, I'm so sorry. I only saw your thread a few minutes ago. Did the e-vet at least take an x-ray to rule out osteo/fracture in that leg? What I've been told is that if you see that kind of sudden pain in a leg you know has osteo, if the vet looks at an x-ray and suspects a hairline fracture but can't confirm, that you should assume the leg is fractured. But I would think you would at the very least see evidence of osteo in the leg at the potential fracture site so if they x-rayed and didn't see anything, I would be hopeful that's not what's going on. I will be thinking of you today and hoping for something else, that is easily treatable. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how hard it is to see your precious pup in so much pain so I can only imagine what last night was like for you. Please keep us posted if you can. Thinking of you and Gracy. :hope

Jen, yes I did follow Winslow's diary, it was very funny and a great way to follow a real hero for those fighting Osteo. I do miss him too, he was a very special pup.

Guest roselle

The vet took X-rays, saw nothing. The E.R. vet was useless. I took her to my vet this morning, he rex-rayed her, saw nothing. He is on his way now to tumor radiology with her films. I should hear something after 2 p.m. west coast time. I've kept her tramadol going so she is much more comfortable, but she can't up and when she walks she can barely hold herself up. I have never cried so much, i don't want to say good by and I feel so helpless when she is in such pain. :crying

Gypsy has a vet appointment at 4:20 . She will be going to the Rainbow Bridge. We had a year with thyroid cancer, and only a month and 2 days with osteo. It is a horrible decision to make and I so wish I didn't have to. But her pain is too much today; she no longer has anything left that is good. She told me this morning that it is time. I hate this.

Connie

The vet took X-rays, saw nothing. The E.R. vet was useless. I took her to my vet this morning, he rex-rayed her, saw nothing. He is on his way now to tumor radiology with her films. I should hear something after 2 p.m. west coast time. I've kept her tramadol going so she is much more comfortable, but she can't up and when she walks she can barely hold herself up. I have never cried so much, i don't want to say good by and I feel so helpless when she is in such pain. :crying

Could you maybe ask your vet about a fentanyl patch until you get this figured out? I am pretty sure it can be used with other meds although I am not positive, maybe not Tramadol, but it might provide more immediate/stronger relief. I really have no idea, just sort of thinking out loud. I hope you get some answers soon. Any chance the pain is in her back and not the leg? Continued good thoughts for your girl. :hope I'm headed home, but will check in again later, hopefully for a positive update! :goodluck

Guest roselle

Really good advise, fentanyl patch, do I need to shave her hair to apply it? I asked him about her back, hip, pelvis, leg. He's at radiology rounds now with her films. The tramadol has kicked in, if she dosn't try to move. But I won't take her home without something stronger just in case. Thanks for the advise, it was good.

Gypsy has a vet appointment at 4:20 . She will be going to the Rainbow Bridge. We had a year with thyroid cancer, and only a month and 2 days with osteo. It is a horrible decision to make and I so wish I didn't have to. But her pain is too much today; she no longer has anything left that is good. She told me this morning that it is time. I hate this.

Connie

Oh Connie, I'm right there with you, It's so hard and so sad. Gypsy, you've been a brave girl now go rest and be pain free :gh_runner:angelwings:angel:bighug Roselle and Gracy

I am very sorry to hear about Gypsy. Please know that we are all here for you in your grief.

Also, lots of prayers and thoughts of comfort for Gracy. Hoping to hear she overcompensated on one side and pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Connie

Connie, I am very sorry. I wasn't aware that Gypsy had Osteo. Yes it is a very cruel and unforgiving disease for these pups. She will be met my many of the pups that are part this thread and they will show her the way.

Oh no Connie, we were posting at the same time so I am only seeing your news now. I am so sorry that you have to let Gypsy go. I have been thinking of you regularly - I know you didn't like to come in here too often to post, but you have been on my mind since Gypsy was diagnosed. I hope that Gypsy's passing is peaceful. What a terrible situation when that is the type of thing you wish for someone. :cry1

Roselle, I'm not sure about whether you have to shave to apply the fentanyl patch. Makes sense that you would, but maybe it can be applied somewhere where she already has less hair?

Speaking of shaving, I know this is really stupid, but I think they are going to have to shave Neyla's belly for the ultrasound tomorrow and I am really sad about that. I know it's only cosmetic, but she always had a fairly bare belly until all of this started. I suspect it's from the fish oil or some other supplement, but she now has this ridiculously furry belly and I just love it. :wub: Stupid as it is, I am sad to see it go. :dunno

Interesting thing, I got home and she did not have an accident today. Totally dry after 6 hrs. Unheard of since all of this started. We've seen other small improvements over the wkd - vet says it's possible that it is a UTI after all and that it's just responding slowly to Baytril. Not holding my breath, and still doing the u/s, but one can dream...

Guest greytfulhounds

Just stopped in to catch up on how everyone is doing. My heart & my prayers are with Gracy & Gypsy. :hope I HATE this disease, what it takes from our sweet babies & what it takes from those of us that love them! :angryfire

Jen, keeping you & Neyla in my thoughts as she goes for her ultrasound. :hope

Hugs & smooches to the handsome Charlie.....the one bright spot in this thread was to see Charlie looking so handsome & happy. :grouphug:kiss2

Guest azlorenz

Connie

Connie I am so sorry about Gypsy. :grouphug

Fingers crossed Gracy's problem can be easily remedied. And hugs for Mom.

Edited by azlorenz
Guest roselle

Connie

Connie I am so sorry about Gypsy. :grouphug

Fingers crossed Gracy's problem can be easily remedied. And hugs for Mom.

Connie I was thinking of you today. Here is a huge cyber hug. Roselle and Gracy :bighug , Run free Gypsy :gh_runner

So very sorry to hear Gracy and Gypsy each took turns for the worst. This disease is just a nightmare for everyone it touches. It's important for us to remember that their suffering has ended now and they're all running free at the Bridge.

As for checking in, Arathorn's still fighting the good fight. His tumor's not much bigger and the Tramadol X3 and Rimadyl X2 seem to still be working so far as managing his pain. He went to a "Christmas party" on Saturday where I got his picture taken with our 12-year-old Tribute. I'm afraid neither one of them will be with us much longer. But, Saturday, he was happy to be out and working the public, his tail wagging a mile a minute.

We did have an incident last Friday. Arathorn's still sleeping in bed with me. About 4 AM, I must have bumped his leg in my sleep. His face was near mine and I woke up when he snapped at my face. Unfortunately, he caught my upper lip, but didn't go all the way through. I've got a 1/2-inch laceration but it's not very deep. I'm certain he didn't do it intentionally and that it was a startle reflex. He's still sleeping in bed with us but a friend suggested putting a muzzle on him at night. He doesn't seem to mind the muzzle and he really, really wants to sleep in the bed. This seems to work for all of us. Some day (too soon) he won't be here and I'll really miss sharing the bed with the little devil.

Arathorn is now 4.5 months post-diagnosis. And every extra day is still a blessing.

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Guest roselle

Well, Gracy is by no means back to her self, but much better. She is comfortable on 100mg of tramadol 3xd and medicam. She is standing and walking a bit. After $900.00 the vet found nothing. It's a day by day wait and see. The good news is that she has no lung mets :banana:bounce1:confetti:yay . I had a pomagranet martini tonight and Gracy had a chicken strip. Now I'm doing this :bath . One other issue . the vet thinks I should cut back on her exercise/walks. We do 10=15 min walks/day and loves them. The walks keep her back leg strong. I'm leery of doing this. She may get weak. What do you all think?

I forgot (martini) we do the 10-15 min walks 3xd. :colgate