Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all. Batmom asked a question in my Deramaxx thread, which made me realize how much I'm struggling with decisions for Neyla right now. Posting my rant here b/c I didn't think I should go off topic in my own thread. :P Batmom asked what stage I thought Neyla's progression is in and this is what came out:

I wish I could answer that. The oncologist looked at the last x-ray and said the progression wasn't "substantial", which was a relief, except that her increase in pain does not jive with that at all. So was she wrong? Or has it already progressed a lot more in the 2 weeks since that was taken? Or are we in some sort of vicious cycle with things being exacerbated by her back right toe issues? I just have no idea. :dunno Another x-ray might tell us something, but I'm not made of money and if we're going to pursue pamidronate, I'll need every penny for that (and we'll probably redo the x-ray then anyway). Couple all of this with my complete inability to make a decision and my irrational fear that Neyla will be the one dog who suffers the acute kidney failure with the pamidronate or gets the horrific gastric ulcer with the increased Deramaxx and I am paralyzed.

Someone help?! I am so terrible at trusting my own judgment. I keep telling myself that I am making the most informed decisions I can and regardless of the outcome, I will be able to console myself with that knowledge, but frankly I think that's bull**. The truth is, there is never and there hasn't been at any part of this journey, an easy or straightforward answer and with each new challenge I kill myself doing endless hours of research online trying to find a clear "right" answer, unsuccessfully. And yes, Neyla has done amazingly well and maybe that's because I made some good decisions, or maybe it's because we got lucky with her tumor - it doesn't really matter, it doesn't do anything to reassure myself about my judgement. Stupid perfectionist personality! :rolleyes: Anyone, any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Things like chill out, have a few shots, you're freaking nuts are all acceptable. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen,

I believe another x-ray will not really do much for you. My thinking is you are doing everything possible for Neyla and have been successful for whatever reason. I wish there was something proven in your methods that could be published so that at least for those pursuing pain management alone could get 6 months+ of quality time with their pups post diagnosis. Unfortunately the world of cancer is like a spider web, one thread goes this way and you follow it just to turn and follow another thread hoping it might lead to a better solution/method/protocol to deal with this disease. All the while not realizing that we are just tangling ourselves up and eventually the spider or in this case cancer will take our precious hounds before it's time.

We too are giving Charlie things that we hope are the right choices and at the same time we worry that these drugs might just cause other issues so we have blood tests every few weeks at $$$ due to the special test the vet wants to perform to ensure nothing is going South. Our last two vets visits were $1000 and another $800 within the last month. Is it worth it? Yes, 100% so because Charlie is doing well. Things can change tomorrow and then we will curse and shout that the path we chose was wrong. We are lucky we have been able to afford what we have done however when looking at the cost, it's not feasible to do this for 2,3 or 4 hounds so what do we do if it happens again??? We have always sworn we will do everything in our power to help my pups be healthy and happy as they are our fur kids.

So what is the bottom line? There are no sure fire solutions to treat this disease. There is no right or wrong path because there is no known cure/prevention. We can just do what we can by whatever means we have and in the end something (likely cancer) will take our pups no matter what happens.

Give Neyla a hug from me and enjoy a stiff drink, you're doing right by her.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yikes Kyle, that is a lot of money. Makes the pamidronate seem reasonable. ;) I'm glad you are in a situation where you can get the treatments you feel are right.

Well you summed it up. That's the horrific thing about this disease - no clear paths and all to lose our pups far too soon/too quickly. I like the spiderweb analogy except that instead of the spider, I feel like the fly caught in the net. :(

I'm just having a bad day b/c we've had a couple of rougher days. It's starting to weigh on me with each additional bad day that we have that we're getting closer to the end and I'm trying really hard not to let that affect my decisions or how I enjoy my remaining time with Neyla, but unfortunately that means that all the bad feelings just surface occasionally, often inconveniently.

The good news is Neyla was still feeling good when I got home so today is officially a good day. I'll take that for today. :)

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest 4rooers

Jen,

No advice here, I go through the same feelings, as I'm sure everyone who deals with this cancer horror does. In the end, you just do the best you can, and know that Neyla loves you and is in the best place she could be, surrounded by all the love you have for her.

Hugs for you both :grouphug

Kim

Guest azlorenz

Hi all. Batmom asked a question in my Deramaxx thread, which made me realize how much I'm struggling with decisions for Neyla right now. Posting my rant here b/c I didn't think I should go off topic in my own thread. :P Batmom asked what stage I thought Neyla's progression is in and this is what came out:

I wish I could answer that. The oncologist looked at the last x-ray and said the progression wasn't "substantial", which was a relief, except that her increase in pain does not jive with that at all. So was she wrong? Or has it already progressed a lot more in the 2 weeks since that was taken? Or are we in some sort of vicious cycle with things being exacerbated by her back right toe issues? I just have no idea. :dunno Another x-ray might tell us something, but I'm not made of money and if we're going to pursue pamidronate, I'll need every penny for that (and we'll probably redo the x-ray then anyway). Couple all of this with my complete inability to make a decision and my irrational fear that Neyla will be the one dog who suffers the acute kidney failure with the pamidronate or gets the horrific gastric ulcer with the increased Deramaxx and I am paralyzed.

Someone help?! I am so terrible at trusting my own judgment. I keep telling myself that I am making the most informed decisions I can and regardless of the outcome, I will be able to console myself with that knowledge, but frankly I think that's bull**. The truth is, there is never and there hasn't been at any part of this journey, an easy or straightforward answer and with each new challenge I kill myself doing endless hours of research online trying to find a clear "right" answer, unsuccessfully. And yes, Neyla has done amazingly well and maybe that's because I made some good decisions, or maybe it's because we got lucky with her tumor - it doesn't really matter, it doesn't do anything to reassure myself about my judgement. Stupid perfectionist personality! :rolleyes: Anyone, any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Things like chill out, have a few shots, you're freaking nuts are all acceptable. :)

Jen,

This is my advice for what it is worth. Trust your heart and don't second guess yourself.

Hugs for both you and Neyla,

Shannon

Edited by azlorenz

Guest roselle

Jen,

This is my advice for what it is worth. Trust your heart and don't second guess yourself.

Hugs for both you and Neyla,

Shannon

Hi Jen, I'm so sorry you're in this horrible place right now. The sad truth is that your the one who knows what to do, no one can know your pup like you do and you'll know when the time comes to end the pain. I'm struggling with the same thing, not with Gracy, yet but with Howard he will be 18 next month. He has bad arthritis in his back and hips. He hqs started lowering himself to the floor by dropping to his elbows and plopping down, not even bending his hips. I just cringe. I increased his tramadol to twice a day and he looks more comfortable, but I really don't know how much pain he is in. It's easier to not think about it and I know he is suffering. As I'm writing this it's becoming clearer what I have to do. Maybe we do need to chill out , look at our pup's and see what they are not telling us, make the decision and then have that stiff drink and then do it. I wish I could come to you and hold your hand and you come to me and hold mine but were 3000 miles apart . Now I changed my mind. I can't picture myself having our vet inject that needle into Howard and ending his life. I don't know what I'll do with Gracy when her O.S. acts up. I'm sorry, I meant to help you. :headbang:sbox:headwall:dunno

Rant along please. Misery loves company, right? <_< I'm sorry you're facing these decisions with not one, but two pups. :(

Well we had a good day yesterday and this morning, Neyla's limp is really bad again. She is still her usual personality but of course when she's in pain like this, she doesn't want to play and can't really take walks. Anyway, I think we're going to pursue the pamidronate. Now what I'm questioning is when to do it. They need a few days to order it and Friday is Neyla's 6 month anniversary so I was thinking I'll schedule it for Monday so we can take the weekend to do some special stuff, even if that's just sunning ourselves outside somewhere for a bit and eating extra Burpdogs, but I'm worried that's too long to wait. I think that's what I'm going to do though - I think I need to on the very very slim chance this does cause an adverse reaction. I really hope it gives her some relief and we can do it with minimal stress to her, she is not going to like being at the vet's for all of that time. :(

Guest roselle

Rant along please. Misery loves company, right? <_< I'm sorry you're facing these decisions with not one, but two pups. :(

Well we had a good day yesterday and this morning, Neyla's limp is really bad again. She is still her usual personality but of course when she's in pain like this, she doesn't want to play and can't really take walks. Anyway, I think we're going to pursue the pamidronate. Now what I'm questioning is when to do it. They need a few days to order it and Friday is Neyla's 6 month anniversary so I was thinking I'll schedule it for Monday so we can take the weekend to do some special stuff, even if that's just sunning ourselves outside somewhere for a bit and eating extra Burpdogs, but I'm worried that's too long to wait. I think that's what I'm going to do though - I think I need to on the very very slim chance this does cause an adverse reaction. I really hope it gives her some relief and we can do it with minimal stress to her, she is not going to like being at the vet's for all of that time. :(

WHAT IS PAMIDRONATE? What will Gracy go on after chemo?. ;)

Guest ChasesMum

hugs Jen...Neyla is one strong pup!

I think Monday is a good plan. at this point, a few days probably won't make enough of a difference to ruin her 6 mo partay!

WHAT IS PAMIDRONATE? What will Gracy go on after chemo?. ;)

"Pamidronate is a second-generation bisphosphonate, which inhibits bone resorption. It is used to prevent bone loss, and treat osteoporosis. It is also used to strengthen bone in Paget's disease, to prevent bone loss due to steroid use, and in certain cancers with high propensity to bone, such as multiple myeloma. In multiple myeloma, it is usually administered as an intravenous infusion, lasting about 3 hours. The therapy is repeated monthly, and lasts for the life of the patient. Due to its ability to sequester calcium in bone, it is also used to treat high calcium levels. It is also used as an experimental treatment of the bone disorder known as Osteogenesis Imperfecta, or brittle bones."

As for Gracy, that is the ultimate question, what does one do after amp and Chemo? You can do more Chemo but most vets will say and studies show that the effectiveness likely won't be there. We have chosen to try Palladia to stave off lung mets, nothing proven but some findings are positive. Other than that, keep Gracy healthy as much as possible with good food, exercise, supplements, etc. Charlis is also on a protocol of herbs, maitake mushrooms, artemisinin, flax oil...hmmm, what else?

It's not easy decision on what to do next as there are no tried and true options.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Pamidronate is an IV bisphosphonate used for bone cancer when amputation has not been done. It's been shown to provide palliative relief, and there is some thought/evidence that it may have anti-tumor activity and/or help with bone regeneration. It's a very new treatment so there's limited information available and it's still fairly expensive, but if it works, we will hopefully have 3-4 weeks of good pain relief in between treatments. Radiation is our other option (aside from continuing to increase meds), but we'd have to stop her artemisinin protocol for 2 months to do that, and it would require mild sedation 2 days in a row, which I'm not keen on. Although the odds of getting pain relief seem to be higher for the radiation. Which all brings me back to the no good options rant. Harumph.

Yeah, I'm Debbie Downer lately.

Other than that, keep Gracy healthy as much as possible with good food, exercise, supplements, etc. Charlis is also on a protocol of herbs, maitake mushrooms, artemisinin, flax oil...hmmm, what else?

:nod If I had chosen amputation and chemo, my protocol afterward would certainly include high doses of fish oil (same as we are doing now, so around 1800 mg EPA daily, which is 2-3x the recommended dosage for a healthy dog), a mushroom supplement to boost immune health and increase the killer cells in her body, and a preventative artemisinin regimen of some type. I would probably also identify one other supplement that has shown good results specifically in preventing mets - Dr. Dressler's book does mention some, which would give you a good starting point. Dr. Dressler's book does also have good information about herbs that can help with teh side effects of chemo and he goes so far as to indicate which herbs for which type of chemo. I can't recommend his book as a resource enough.

Also, because I know we have some new people, I thought I would repost this link to an article on palliative care. I come back to this repeatedly, it's a good starting point for understanding bone cancer pain and how to address it, with good links to research articles.

ETA: Oh, and raw diet. I always forget to mention it because my dogs were on it long before this dx, it wasn't something we did in response to it, but I believe it's contributed to our success.

Edited by NeylasMom

Just heard back from the oncologist. They're only in on Tuesdays and Thursdays so we're scheduled for 11 am on Tuesday. She still needs to email me an estimate, at which point I will probably have a mental breakdown over the totally outrageous costs, then have to call them back to try to eliminate some of the unnecessary ones, and then I'll spend the remainder of the week being incredibly nervous and second-guessing whether this is the right decision. Anyone want to place bets on whether I cancel the treatment or go through with it?

If I had chosen amputation and chemo, my protocol afterward would certainly include high doses of fish oil (same as we are doing now, so around 1800 mg EPA daily, which is 2-3x the recommended dosage for a healthy dog), a mushroom supplement to boost immune health and increase the killer cells in her body, and a preventative artemisinin regimen of some type. I would probably also identify one other supplement that has shown good results specifically in preventing mets - Dr. Dressler's book does mention some, which would give you a good starting point. Dr. Dressler's book does also have good information about herbs that can help with teh side effects of chemo and he goes so far as to indicate which herbs for which type of chemo. I can't recommend his book as a resource enough.

Also, because I know we have some new people, I thought I would repost this link to an article on palliative care. I come back to this repeatedly, it's a good starting point for understanding bone cancer pain and how to address it, with good links to research articles.

ETA: Oh, and raw diet. I always forget to mention it because my dogs were on it long before this dx, it wasn't something we did in response to it, but I believe it's contributed to our success.

Yes fish oil was the other one that I forgot, thanks Jen. Here is a list of what Charlie is getting currently along with Palladia (cycling) and Cephalexin (cycling). The herbs and mushrooms are in natural form (not pills) except for Artemisinin.

Maitake Mushrooms

B100

E400 (3 a day unless cycling Artemisinin then we do not)

C0Q10 100mg

Selenium 100mg 2 a day

Salmon Oil 1000mg 2 a day

L-Artinine 500mg

Ester-C (cycling)

Artemisinin 100mg 2 a day (cycling)

Curcumin mixed with other spices (other Indian spices that I can't remember!)

Echinacea (cycling)

Mix of Hawthorn Berries, Slippery Elm, Red Clover and Burdock (cycling)

Astragalus Root (cycling)

Teas:

Cat's Claw (cycling)

Yerba Mate (blend of Yerba Mate, Stevia and Piper fulvescens leaves) and Pau d'Areo (Tabebuia Impetiginosa) (cycling)

What he also gets along with our other pups:

Lecithin

Bone Meal Powder

There are other herbs we cycle as well but I just don't remember them all. DW is better at that than me. We do not feed raw as based on all the feedback we have received from several specialists, it will not help/prevent Osteo. Now saying that, we did eliminate basically all carbs from his diet. He gets grains, vegetables mixed together in the food processor along with a protein such as salmon, mackeral or raw turkey.

Guest roselle

Other than that, keep Gracy healthy as much as possible with good food, exercise, supplements, etc. Charlis is also on a protocol of herbs, maitake mushrooms, artemisinin, flax oil...hmmm, what else?

:nod If I had chosen amputation and chemo, my protocol afterward would certainly include high doses of fish oil (same as we are doing now, so around 1800 mg EPA daily, which is 2-3x the recommended dosage for a healthy dog), a mushroom supplement to boost immune health and increase the killer cells in her body, and a preventative artemisinin regimen of some type. I would probably also identify one other supplement that has shown good results specifically in preventing mets - Dr. Dressler's book does mention some, which would give you a good starting point. Dr. Dressler's book does also have good information about herbs that can help with teh side effects of chemo and he goes so far as to indicate which herbs for which type of chemo. I can't recommend his book as a resource enough.

Guest roselle

If I had chosen amputation and chemo, my protocol afterward would certainly include high doses of fish oil (same as we are doing now, so around 1800 mg EPA daily, which is 2-3x the recommended dosage for a healthy dog), a mushroom supplement to boost immune health and increase the killer cells in her body, and a preventative artemisinin regimen of some type. I would probably also identify one other supplement that has shown good results specifically in preventing mets - Dr. Dressler's book does mention some, which would give you a good starting point. Dr. Dressler's book does also have good information about herbs that can help with teh side effects of chemo and he goes so far as to indicate which herbs for which type of chemo. I can't recommend his book as a resource enough.

Yes fish oil was the other one that I forgot, thanks Jen. Here is a list of what Charlie is getting currently along with Palladia (cycling) and Cephalexin (cycling). The herbs and mushrooms are in natural form (not pills) except for Artemisinin.

Maitake Mushrooms

B100

C0Q10 100mg

Selenium 100mg 2 a day

L-Artinine 500mg

Ester-C (cycling)

Echinacea (cycling)

Teas:

Cat's Claw (cycling)

Yerba Mate (blend of Yerba Mate, Stevia and Piper fulvescens leaves) and Pau d'Areo (Tabebuia Impetiginosa) (cycling)

Lecithin

Bone Meal Powder

There are other herbs we cycle as well but I just don't remember them all. DW is better at that than me. We do not feed raw as based on all the feedback we have received from several specialists, it will not help/prevent Osteo. Now saying that, we did eliminate basically all carbs from his diet. He gets grains, vegetables mixed together in the food processor along with a protein such as salmon, mackeral or raw turkey.

Maitake Mushrooms

B100Oh My God, thats a lot . It must be helping, How long post diagnosis is Charles? :o

C0Q10 100mg

Selenium 100mg 2 a day

L-Artinine 500mg

Ester-C (cycling)

Echinacea (cycling)

Teas:

Cat's Claw (cycling)

Lecithin

Bone Meal Powder

Guest roselle

Maitake Mushrooms

B100

C0Q10 100mg

Selenium 100mg 2 a day

L-Artinine 500mg

Ester-C (cycling)

Echinacea (cycling)

Teas:

Cat's Claw (cycling)

Lecithin

Bone Meal Powder

Maitake Mushrooms

B100Oh My God, thats a lot . It must be helping, How long post diagnosis is Charles? :o

C0Q10 100mg

Selenium 100mg 2 a day

L-Artinine 500mg

Ester-C (cycling)

Echinacea (cycling)

Teas:

Cat's Claw (cycling)

Lecithin

Bone Meal Powder

Maitake Mushrooms A lot going on and a lot of information. Thanks, I'll start reading B)

B100

C0Q10 100mg

Selenium 100mg 2 a day

L-Artinine 500mg

Ester-C (cycling)

Echinacea (cycling)

Teas:

Cat's Claw (cycling)

Lecithin

Bone Meal Powder

Maitake Mushrooms

C0Q10 100mg

Selenium 100mg 2 a day

L-Artinine 500mg

Ester-C (cycling)

Echinacea (cycling)

Teas:

Cat's Claw (cycling)

Lecithin

Bone Meal Powder

Guest greytfulhounds

Just wanted to stop by to say that I am thinking about you all & continuing to send good thoughts & prayers to all of you. I am so sorry to see new members but encouraged to see some of Danny's team mates still in the fight. You guys are tough & can do it! Love & hugs to you all! :grouphug

Well it's here! 6 months post-dx! :yay

We had a great day yesterday. Neyla is a little more painful today as a result, but not so much so that she wasn't up for playing or getting in bed with me this morning. With the increased Deramaxx, our bad days are what our good days were last week so that's a small win. I hope that the pamidronate treatment on Tuesday will allow us to back off of the Deramaxx again with even greater pain relief, but I know the odds are not necessarily in our favor. Doesn't matter, today we focus on today and we celebrate. :)

Way to go Neyla!!! :bounce1 Keep it up girl!