Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Thank you everyone for your support. It means so much to me.

This is not the news any of us wanted to hear, especially you. You have done wonders for Neyla and I really hope she continues to do well by your treatments. There is something that I hope will get to you this week for Neyla. We will keep both of you in our thoughts.

Kyle

Oh, I will let Neyla know tonight so she has something to look forward to! I ordered a little something for her this weekend myself so it should be a fun week!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest azlorenz

Oh, I will let Neyla know tonight so she has something to look forward to! I ordered a little something for her this weekend myself so it should be a fun week!

I'm so sorry Jen. I didn't see this until tonight. I hate this crap!!!!

Me too! :angryfire

Thanks Shannon. Hope you guys are doing well.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest azlorenz

So far so good. I heard Flash cough on Saturday but only once. He is still taking his daily walks and he's still eating like a champ.

Still here rooting for everyone. Charlie is doing well so far on Palladia and Artemisinin. No major side effects and we go in for a blood test on Friday just to make sure everything is okay. He is still his crazy self and has decided these past few nights that he will sleep in a chair instead of his comfy bed. Last night he had me chasing him around the yard at 10:30pm as that is when he likes to go out before bed and just loves how he can torment me by running from one end of the yard to the other. There is no point in actually chasing him, I just stand there and call his name to try and encourage him to go inside but he always decides on his own when this will be. He is such a cheeky boy...

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kyle, so happy that Charlie is doing so well. Love the thought of him running around the yard like that. Well he earned it, didn't he? All of this fighting cancer off is hard work that deserves the ultimate reward, getting to do what he wants when he wants. ;)

Guest greytfulhounds

Still here rooting for everyone. Charlie is doing well so far on Palladia and Artemisinin. No major side effects and we go in for a blood test on Friday just to make sure everything is okay. He is still his crazy self and has decided these past few nights that he will sleep in a chair instead of his comfy bed. Last night he had me chasing him around the yard at 10:30pm as that is when he likes to go out before bed and just loves how he can torment me by running from one end of the yard to the other. There is no point in actually chasing him, I just stand there and call his name to try and encourage him to go inside but he always decides on his own when this will be. He is such a cheeky boy...

Sooooo happy to hear that Charlie is doing so well! :D

So far so good. I heard Flash cough on Saturday but only once. He is still taking his daily walks and he's still eating like a champ.

:grouphug & :hope being sent to Flash.

Five weeks ago,today, Danny was diagnosed with osteo. Still can not believe all that happened between then & today......just can not wrap my head around it all. :cry1

Edited by greytfulhounds

Five weeks ago,today, Danny was diagnosed with osteo. Still can not believe all that happened between then & today......just can not wrap my head around it all. :cry1

Sherry :grouphug It's so fast, I can't even imagine and it's what makes this disease so incredibly horrible. :angry:

I got the package of meds today, thank you so much for sending them. And thank you for the card and kind words, I appreciate it so much. Your Danny was handsome, and he has the floppy ears that flop in the same position as Zuri's on that front photo. :wub:

We got another package today! :yay Well 3 total actually b/c I also ordered freeze dried beef and lamb lung & heart and everything came at once so it's been total excitement! :yay Anyway, Kyle, thank you so much for the Burpdog Biscuits! They are Neyla's absolute favorite food item, no idea if you knew that. She truly believes they are doggie crack. I took a video of her opening her package, which I will upload shortly. Will prob have to post to youtube and then will share the link. She does this thing when she's really excited over something where her eyes bug out of her head, but she has to be SUPER excited to do it. Usually it's only for food and gift bags. :lol There is much eye bugging in this video. :P Thank you thank you thank you!

Guest greytfulhounds

Sherry :grouphug It's so fast, I can't even imagine and it's what makes this disease so incredibly horrible. :angry:

I got the package of meds today, thank you so much for sending them. And thank you for the card and kind words, I appreciate it so much. Your Danny was handsome, and he has the floppy ears that flop in the same position as Zuri's on that front photo. :wub:

We got another package today! :yay Well 3 total actually b/c I also ordered freeze dried beef and lamb lung & heart and everything came at once so it's been total excitement! :yay Anyway, Kyle, thank you so much for the Burpdog Biscuits! They are Neyla's absolute favorite food item, no idea if you knew that. She truly believes they are doggie crack. I took a video of her opening her package, which I will upload shortly. Will prob have to post to youtube and then will share the link. She does this thing when she's really excited over something where her eyes bug out of her head, but she has to be SUPER excited to do it. Usually it's only for food and gift bags. :lol There is much eye bugging in this video. :P Thank you thank you thank you!

You're welcome, Jen. Please give Miss Neyla gentle hugs from me & my crew & tell her we are all pulling for her!

Guest azlorenz

We had a surprise gift at our doorstep too. Thank you so much Kyle and Jen. I thought Flash's sister Tansy was going to flip her lid (an act very similar to Neyla's eye's bugging out). Flash of course is the gentlemen and lets his sisters take control of all situations. Anyway, thank you for the lovely surprise. Knowing that Flash has so many people thinking of him helps so much.

Shannon

Jen and Shannon,

You are both welcome. It sounds like Neyla will make sure to get her fill. I hope Flash is able to get in there and get some as it sounds like Tansy will be first in line!

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

You're welcome Shannon!

Kyle, check C&F for Neyla's video. :)

We had such a great night last night b/c of all of the gift opening and this morning Neyla is feeling a lot better from the Deramaxx bump yesterday. Although when she feels better, she gets so active - I am hoping she learns to balance that better or I have to figure out how to manage it. Anyway, I also got a little bit of good news from the oncologist. I was finally able to send her the x-rays and she felt the progression was not "substantive" and we are not yet at risk for fracture. The pain levels don't seem to agree with that so I'm a little dubious, but feeling a bit better overall about where we're at.

I'm also concerned b/c Neyla's water intake has been increased the last couple of weeks and last night in particular she guzzled a ton. I don't know if increased water consumption can be a pain response. Otherwise, I'm concerned about kidney function. Her urine is still concentrated though so that's good. The oncologist suggested blood work anyway to get a baseline since we've increased the Deramaxx so I think I will take her in early next week to get that done. :blah

You're welcome Shannon!

We had such a great night last night b/c of all of the gift opening and this morning Neyla is feeling a lot better from the Deramaxx bump yesterday. Although when she feels better, she gets so active - I am hoping she learns to balance that better or I have to figure out how to manage it. Anyway, I also got a little bit of good news from the oncologist. I was finally able to send her the x-rays and she felt the progression was not "substantive" and we are not yet at risk for fracture. The pain levels don't seem to agree with that so I'm a little dubious, but feeling a bit better overall about where we're at.

I'm also concerned b/c Neyla's water intake has been increased the last couple of weeks and last night in particular she guzzled a ton. I don't know if increased water consumption can be a pain response. Otherwise, I'm concerned about kidney function. Her urine is still concentrated though so that's good. The oncologist suggested blood work anyway to get a baseline since we've increased the Deramaxx so I think I will take her in early next week to get that done. :blah

Jen,

That video is so cute. Neyla really is a good àt opening gifts. I like how she pulled out the stuffing paper and carefully dropped them beside the box. When you pulled the first box out, she just went ahead and opened the second, that is hilarious!

My guess on the water drinking is.....too many Burpdog biscuits!!!

So the oncologist is saying the tumor growth isn`t too bad, that is very good news!

I don't know why I did this, but I was thinking about the "original" dogs in this thread and how Flash and Charlie are the only 2 left :( which made me go back and start rereading from the first page. I only got through about 1/4 of the thread b/c I was getting really emotional rereading about everyone's losses. This seems like a stupid thing to do, no? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just wanted to send hugs and good thoughts out to everyone who has lost their pup and continues to check in with us and offer us support. I really appreciate it. At some point I think I will go back and reread the whole thread, just not at work. I was also wondering, has anyone heard from Carolxi, Anubis's mom lately? I don't think I've seen her check in much if at all since she lost Anubis.

I don't know why I did this, but I was thinking about the "original" dogs in this thread and how Flash and Charlie are the only 2 left :( which made me go back and start rereading from the first page. I only got through about 1/4 of the thread b/c I was getting really emotional rereading about everyone's losses. This seems like a stupid thing to do, no? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just wanted to send hugs and good thoughts out to everyone who has lost their pup and continues to check in with us and offer us support. I really appreciate it. At some point I think I will go back and reread the whole thread, just not at work. I was also wondering, has anyone heard from Carolxi, Anubis's mom lately? I don't think I've seen her check in much if at all since she lost Anubis.

i have often thought about going back and re-reading the whole thread, but i just can't do it yet. i still check in several times a day and i am SO SO happy for flash, charlie, joe and neyla to still be alive - in a way it makes me feel like a part of rivie is still here as well. i truly am your biggest cheerleader! i am amazed, but thrilled, that the thread is still going - i hope it goes on forever adding and subtracting as it is SO needed. i can't tell you what the support meant to me while i was going through 'the ordeal'.....nobody got it except those who were on the same page and you all truly became my friends and support. there is so much good information, support, friendship, help, joy and sorrow in these 30odd pages! i pm'ed carol quite awhile ago, but never got a response - i hope she is ok.

i am happy to report that we have adopted another greyhound. she is a tiny little thing - just perfect and beautiful. she is not my rivie and it is going to take me some time, but she is such a nice and BEAUTIFUL girlie. she is a snuggle-bunny and everything i had on my wish list when we first adopted and came home with my broken hock boy, win.

emotional over everyone else's losses - i hope i am never so hard that i can't cry over somebody else's pain -- so no - it is not crazy at all!! my thoughts and prayers are with each of you - whether you are still fighting, or still mourning. i hope you all know that i will be here for you whatever today brings - just as you all were there for me. hugs to all!!

Guest vahoundlover

Doing as he pleases! :lol made me smile, I have 2 like that. That a boy, Charlie!!

Guest roselle

Gracy had her 2nd. chemo last week. She is such a happy girl and seems to have more spunk then she's had in a year. I think she was in pain long before I noticed the limp. Her chemo is now given every 4 weeks not the intended 3 weeks bc her white bcc, platelets dropped very low. She sure doesn't look sick. Where are you getting the freeze dried treats from? I would love to put Gracy's picture on the site but don't know how. Can you tell me how to do it. Sending hugs to all.Roselle and Gracy :bighug:wave:bounce1:wub:

Guest goldandgreen182

I just sent the x-rays in an email to Dr. Couto. WInston had been fine, and the swelling on his knee even went down until today when he slipped on the floor again. He has slipped and slided a few times, so maybe that is the cause of the limp, swelling, and suspicious x-ray, so until Dr. Couto responds we're just keeping our fingers crossed. Thank you everyone for the recommendation to Dr. Couto and the support.

Guest greytfulhounds

You're welcome Shannon!

So happy to read that Neyla is doing better & the report from the oncologist! LOVED Neyla's video!

i have often thought about going back and re-reading the whole thread, but i just can't do it yet. i still check in several times a day and i am SO SO happy for flash, charlie, joe and neyla to still be alive - in a way it makes me feel like a part of rivie is still here as well. i truly am your biggest cheerleader! i am amazed, but thrilled, that the thread is still going - i hope it goes on forever adding and subtracting as it is SO needed. i can't tell you what the support meant to me while i was going through 'the ordeal'.....nobody got it except those who were on the same page and you all truly became my friends and support. there is so much good information, support, friendship, help, joy and sorrow in these 30odd pages! i pm'ed carol quite awhile ago, but never got a response - i hope she is ok.

i am happy to report that we have adopted another greyhound. she is a tiny little thing - just perfect and beautiful. she is not my rivie and it is going to take me some time, but she is such a nice and BEAUTIFUL girlie. she is a snuggle-bunny and everything i had on my wish list when we first adopted and came home with my broken hock boy, win.

emotional over everyone else's losses - i hope i am never so hard that i can't cry over somebody else's pain -- so no - it is not crazy at all!! my thoughts and prayers are with each of you - whether you are still fighting, or still mourning. i hope you all know that i will be here for you whatever today brings - just as you all were there for me. hugs to all!!

Congratulations on your new baby! :confetti We need pictures, please! :digicam

Gracy had her 2nd. chemo last week. She is such a happy girl and seems to have more spunk then she's had in a year. I think she was in pain long before I noticed the limp. Her chemo is now given every 4 weeks not the intended 3 weeks bc her white bcc, platelets dropped very low. She sure doesn't look sick. Where are you getting the freeze dried treats from? I would love to put Gracy's picture on the site but don't know how. Can you tell me how to do it. Sending hugs to all.Roselle and Gracy :bighug:wave:bounce1:wub:

Yay, Gracy! Keep fighting sweetie! :yay

Continuining to send prayers & thoughts to all of you. It is a week today that Danny went to the Bridge....it is getting a little easier but I still miss him so much. I know he is watching over all of you too! :grouphug:hope

Whizzer's still got edema in her foot. I keep massaging it and just can't get it to go down. It's really frustrating. I know it's hurting her. She stepped on her own foot last evening in the yard and looked at me like I was the worst person in the world. And she is refusing her dinner tonight, even with the hamburger I just mixed in. :(

I just sent the x-rays in an email to Dr. Couto. WInston had been fine, and the swelling on his knee even went down until today when he slipped on the floor again. He has slipped and slided a few times, so maybe that is the cause of the limp, swelling, and suspicious x-ray, so until Dr. Couto responds we're just keeping our fingers crossed. Thank you everyone for the recommendation to Dr. Couto and the support.

I hope Dr. Couto will be able to get back to you quickly. His entire team left today for a conference and won't be back until next Tuesday or Wednesday (can't remember exactly). He is holding down the fort but is also giving a lecture this weekend. So they are very, very short staffed.

Jane

Guest greytfulhounds

Whizzer's still got edema in her foot. I keep massaging it and just can't get it to go down. It's really frustrating. I know it's hurting her. She stepped on her own foot last evening in the yard and looked at me like I was the worst person in the world. And she is refusing her dinner tonight, even with the hamburger I just mixed in. :(

My Joanie had had edema really bad in a leg after surgery many years ago. I remember I would massage it upwards & ice it. I am so sorry your baby is going through this. :grouphug

Jen, I know what you mean. It breaks your heart when you see how many pups have passed so quickly and that is only the tip of the iceberg as not everyone joins this thread. This disease is horrid and leaves you vulnerable because it is so quick, painful and truly diabolical. It leaves you with a huge hole in your heart. I have been mulling over the idea of a memorial for all the pups but just haven't come up with the final idea yet.

Last time I heard from Carolxi was soon after Anubis's passing and I know she even stated she will gone for a while.

Teri, that is awesome news!!! Congrats! Pics when you can please.

Way to go Gracy! Keep it up and we'll be celebrating 6 mths in no time.

I hope you get a response soon from Dr. Coutu. He usually comes back quickly but as Jane (JoeJoesMom) pointed out, it appears he is very short-staffed currently. I'll keep hoping it's not Osteo and just some other problem that can be healed.

I'm sorry to hear that Whizzer's edema hasn't gone away. I know some have suggested ice or heat, not really sure which will do it. We used a cold bag of peas on Charlie's edema right after his Chemo and it seemed to help.

Morning all.

Teri, congrats on your new addition. So happy for you! :yay Can we get some pics please? :colgate

Jenn, sorry you're having trouble getting Whizzer's edema down. What does the vet suggest?

We're having a good morning. Neyla was the most playful she's been since Friday, trotting around the house and then I took her and Zuri to the dog park. No one is ever there in the morning so I let Zuri run off lead and chase his flying squirrel and just keep Neyla on lead and walk around and let her sniff anything and everything for as long as she wants. Now we're back home (I'm working from home today) and she finally got on the couch with me. :wub: Today is our first day back down to the 50 mg Deramaxx/day so :goodluck & :hope that she doesn't regress. We're definitely not to where we were pre-limp, but I can live with where we are now.

The vet had suggested some pills for Whizzer's edema - they are Lasix. They are water pills of some kind, I believe. They just kind of irritate her stomach. They obviously make her pee more, but haven't helped her swelling. She lets me massage briefly, but she gets annoyed at ice. :( Time to call the vet again.