Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Kiki, I am glad you found Bing to help you heal.

Hugs to all who are struggling today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe's first lung x-rays since the amputation are clear. I am so thankful. He starts on oral chemo protocol next week.

Kyle -- I am so sorry to read about Charlie's x-rays. I had hoped for better news. I so wish I could cure this blasted disease.

Kiki -- Blake is a very handsome boy indeed. I am glad he is helping Cami.

Guest greytfulhounds

Hi All -

Although I haven't posted since 10-1-10, I check in to see how its going for everyone, the progress, and sorry, but usually cry. This group meant so much during Bing's struggle with OS - and with hindsight, I realize the support and empathy . . . and how it helped.

To any new ppl to this group - I wish you, from the bottom of my greyhound addicted heart - all the very best!

- To RichardandJude with Santa - best wishes, thoughts and prayers are with you!

- Gracey - Keep it up and you go girl! - may she continue with good health!

- And to Bay and his pup mama and dad - all of our best wishes, hugs and kisses!

- To sweet (what a sweet face!) Freddy and his pup parents - my heartfelt sympathy for your loss, what a beautiful doggie! May you find peace in your memories of the time you had together.

I miss my special Bing everyday - I wonder how often he crosses my mind . . . .

With misgivings at first, and now, after eight days of his arrival, I know it was the right thing to do ( Cami feels like a mama - I am so happy for her -she was so sad . . . ) - I adopted Blake:

001-2.jpg

He is a six year old boy from FL who suffered a severly broken leg yet is healing nicely - Cami is happy and playing with toys again. :)

He is such a good boy - I like to think perhaps Bing sent him to me. :blush

All of you are in my thoughts . . . . ;)

One of the best ways to help heal a broken heart is to love again. Welcome home Blake!! :wub: The circle of life continues & I have no doubt that Bing sent Blake to help bring joy back into your life. :)

Whizzer's having a real bad day. She's just crying and can't get comfortable right now. I'm going to give her an extra Tramadol and something good to eat soon. It really seems to me that when the weather is rainy here, she seems to be in more pain. :unsure

I have been thinking about you guys, any updates on Whizzer?

Kiki, I am so happy you found Blake. He is a gorgeous pup! Bing definitely brought him to you.

Jen, I am glad Neyla's limping has reduced and she is more back to 'normal'. Obviously her Dewey antics caught up to her some!

Shannon, don't worry about the x-rays too much, Flash will be one of the special ones. I'll keep my fingers crossed and will be keeping an eye out for your update.

Jane, I am so glad to hear that Joe's x-rays were clear! That is a fantastic news.

We are better today then late yesterday, especially me. Yesterday was the first day since initial diagnosis that my strength failed me. Even though the x-rays are sorta of funny, they are definitely not like what I have seen where the spots are a centimeter in size and all over the place. These were very very small but were there so that leads me to believe they are mets. Only three appeared on the x-rays but that is three too many (and x-rays only show so much, a CT shows much much more). Regardless we have a plan, Charlie will be going another round of Chemo, this time Carboplatin, we'll do one round and then take more x-rays in 2-3 weeks after. We also have Palladia and Cytoxan on order so we'll have that for home treatment. The vet who did the x-rays and our Chemo will request the original x-rays from the hospital who did the amp (Jen, you mentioned this in the other thread and I had thought of it prior to yesterday so thanks for the reminder). So that is where we are at and it's not great but we will continue to fight this battle and that even if it is confirmed, we have a plan.

And for Whizzer, I hope you are feeling better with the extra Tramadol.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Blake is gorgeous. My son liked his picture. He pointed to him and said "Beanie" (even though Bernie is our brindle, not our black greyhound.) :)

Glad Neyla is feeling a little better.

Glad Charlie is feeling a little better today.

As for Whizzer, she's been in pain a bit more lately. There's more swelling also. Her appetite has been great, though. She's been real good about eating, drinking, and letting me know when she wants something.

Guest azlorenz

Kyle, I am so glad you are doing a bit better. I am sure it totally knocked the wind out of you. I am so very sorry.

When I talked to the oncologist after Flash's last treatment and she told me about the x-rays I had to remind my self about reality. The reality is that back on July 14 when we made the decision to amputate we were gambling for more time. His leg was broken and our only other option would have been to put him down. I'll never forget the night before his surgery when the surgeon called to give us his opinion and prognosis. At that point, I was just hoping for weeks. When the surgeon gave us the odds it made me hope for more. He survived the amputation and we opted to gamble again for more time and do the chemo. The reality is I am thankful for every day with him because it is one more day I am able to spend with him. It is a crap shoot what drug works, what diet works, etc. I have to reel myself back in sometimes and remember "Enjoy each day to its fullest."

I have to reel myself back in sometimes and remember "Enjoy each day to its fullest."

Trying to remind myself of this today. Not that I've had much time to think (totally exhausted from prepping for and hosting my dinner club), but Neyla is still not back to 100% and I am starting to fear that maybe things are starting to go downhill. Still trying, and doing reasonably well to not dwell on that possibility and take it one day at a time - I find myself telling myself I should just be grateful, but as grateful as I truly am for all of this "extra" time, the truth is it won't make the eventual any less painful so it's hard not to wonder or dwell. :(

She's also been extra clingy today, but that could be due to the lack of attention as I've spent the week cleaning and cooking. So, not worrying too much, but a little. :blush

Kiki, so happy to hear you welcoming another pup into your home. He is handsome (says the sucker for the black pups). Love the flappy lip hanging down. :wub:

Kyle, glad you have a plan and are feeling a bit better. Having a plan always helps me move forward, but don't forget it is okay to give yourself a day here or there to break down or get angry or whatever it is you need to do. :)

Jane, great news about Joe's x-rays. I hope chemo goes well for him. :goodluck

And Jenn, sorry to hear Whizzer is in a bit more pain. Do you have instructions from your vet on how to increase pain meds if you need to? Hoping you don't of course.

More :hope for Flash for Monday.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The vet was wrong....I just can't believe it. Charlie does NOT have lung mets!!! :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1 The radiologist viewed the x-rays today and contacted out vet. We got a call late today from a our vet who repeated it to DW twice to make sure she heard it correctly. She then called while I was on approach to Dulles. When I listened to the voicemail when I got on the ground, I was so happy, I still cannot believe it.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

The vet was wrong....I just can't believe it. Charlie does NOT have lung mets!!! :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1 The radiologist viewed the x-rays today and contacted out vet. We got a call late today from a our vet who repeated it to DW twice to make sure she heard it correctly. She then called while I was on approach to Dulles. When I listened to the voicemail when I got on the ground, I was so happy, I still cannot believe it.

Yeah!!! I am so happy! Did they say what they thought the spots were? Doesn't really matter. I am doing a little jig and Joe is looking at me like I lost my mind. I guess it is a good thing he wasn't with me when they told me his latest x-rays were clear (I was still at OSU in the waiting room).

Jane

Guest roselle

Good for Charlie, may he dance a jig all the way to chemo and home again. Way to go

charlie :banana:clap:confetti:yay And this is for the vet who got the diagnosis wrong :shakefinger

We'll be thinking of you. Roselle and Gracy :ghplaybow

Another beautiful pup, Scoop-Dog is gone because of this disease. I am so sorry for Karen and his family. The update about Flash was also heartbreaking and my heart goes out to Shannon.

Someday, somewhere there will be cure for this thing that robs us. Hopefully sooner than later.

The vet explained how to increase Whizzer's meds.

I did find a way to provide her with some temporary comfort. She was having a bad evening Sunday. I came downstairs Sunday night and found her sleeping peacefully on the couch. She apparently likes it better than her dog beds/blankets. :lol It's just harder for her to get off of.

How are other pups this week so far?

Jen,

That is great to hear that Whizzer is more comfortable. Controlling the pain is what it is all about. I need to ask, who is the pup in your avatar? Love the smile.

Charlie is doing well. He started on Palladia last night and boy is that a pricey drug! But if it helps, then the $$$ don't matter. He is loving the outside temperatures because it's so much cooler. I have been meaning to get a video of him running back to the door when I call him, it's astounding to watch the speed he has as a tripod.

I hope everyone else and their pups are doing well.

Arathorn received his OS diagnosis on August 8, 2010, a week after we discovered a lump on his right front leg, just above the "ankle", which doing a home visit for a new adoption. He had turned 7 just a few weeks earlier.

Here we are on October 20th and he's still pretty much status quo. The tumor on his leg is somewhat larger but not dramatically so. His pain seems to be still under control with Tramadol 3 times a day and Pepcid 2 or 3 times a day. His appetite is still good and he still enjoys trotting around our tiny backyard, still wants to go upstairs at bedtime, still sleeping in bed with us. He's always been a couch potato 99% of the time and that's true still. I have spoiled him a lot the past couple of months. Now, he refuses to eat unless his bowl contains a small handful of dehydrated liver bits that I make for him every couple of weeks.

Every new day with our Arathorn is a blessing and we are grateful for each one of them, fully cognizant that each one of them may be out last with him.

Hugs to all the other OS hounds out there and their owners.

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Guest azlorenz

The last couple days have been tough (mostly for me) but we've survived. Flash is none the worse for the wear. He is still feeling greyt -- loves his walks, food and life in general. I've started the Tramadol again to try and stay ahead of whatever pain he will be experiencing. From talking to our regular vet, it appears there are numerous mets not just a couple. I've been told what to expect and feel as prepared as I can be. I know my boy and when he no longer wants to go for walks or eat his yummies, life won't be worth living. And that thought breaks my heart into a million pieces. I feel like a failure and, yes, I know I shouldn't but it is still hard to think that I couldn't protect him from all the bad.

I hope and pray that those of you still fighting this #$^%(* ^$#()#@ devil join the ranks of the miracle dogs we've all heard about.

Love your hounds and cherish each day.

Edited by azlorenz

The last couple days have been tough (mostly for me) but we've survived. Flash is none the worse for the wear. He is still feeling greyt -- loves his walks, food and life in general. I've started the Tramadol again to try and stay ahead of whatever pain he will be experiencing. From talking to our regular vet, it appears there are numerous mets not just a couple. I've been told what to expect and feel as prepared as I can be. I know my boy and when he no longer wants to go for walks or eat his yummies, life won't be worth living. And that thought breaks my heart into a million pieces. I feel like a failure and, yes, I know I shouldn't but it is still hard to think that I couldn't protect him from all the bad.

I hope and pray that those of you still fighting this #$^%(* ^$#()#@ devil join the ranks of the miracle dogs we've all heard about.

shannon - hang in there - i am so sorry that you've had a rough couple of days....glad that flash is feeling good and doing well. my heart goes out to you -- please do not feel like a failure - you are a hero!! flash loves you with all of his heart, and you are there for him in every way, even though your heart is breaking. it is not easy to deal with (i know). you are in our thoughts and prayers. how i wish we could have protected them from the disease, but we are there for them and stick by them through thick and thin and that's what matters - just love him - that is all he knows and desires. hugs to you as you face each day - i won't lie to you, it sucks. teri

Guest ChasesMum

Shannon I am so very sorry to hear about the lung mets. :angryfire

Hi to everyone! :grouphug

We picked Chase's ashes up finally. sigh. but at least she is home.

Guest roselle

I can't believe you wrote this today. My heart is sinking. I took Gracy on her regular walk today and she barely made it home. I was so scared. I'm out with my 3 dogs and she keeps stopping and she looks like her one hind leg won't support her. I had to talk to her and encourage her to take one step after another. I tried to give her tramidol when we got home and she kept spitting out the pill and eating the peanut butter. I made her favorite dinner topped with steamed chicken and she wouldn't eat. She missed her last chemo treatment because her wbc was low and missed last week because I was in the hospital. I was so happy all day and just like that things turn sour. This morning I thought everything is going to be o.k., and in a moment it's not. She has chemo tomorrow so maybe the doc will give me good news and this was just a bad day, but reality is back in my face, and I was so happy this morning. You all out there, HUG YOUR DOGS. :angry:

Guest vahoundlover

shannon - hang in there - i am so sorry that you've had a rough couple of days....glad that flash is feeling good and doing well. my heart goes out to you -- please do not feel like a failure - you are a hero!! flash loves you with all of his heart, and you are there for him in every way, even though your heart is breaking. it is not easy to deal with (i know). you are in our thoughts and prayers. how i wish we could have protected them from the disease, but we are there for them and stick by them through thick and thin and that's what matters - just love him - that is all he knows and desires. hugs to you as you face each day - i won't lie to you, it sucks. teri

No one is a failure, all of you are doing the best you can. I hate this for each and every one of you.:(

I can't believe you wrote this today. My heart is sinking. I took Gracy on her regular walk today and she barely made it home. I was so scared. I'm out with my 3 dogs and she keeps stopping and she looks like her one hind leg won't support her. I had to talk to her and encourage her to take one step after another. I tried to give her tramidol when we got home and she kept spitting out the pill and eating the peanut butter. I made her favorite dinner topped with steamed chicken and she wouldn't eat. She missed her last chemo treatment because her wbc was low and missed last week because I was in the hospital. I was so happy all day and just like that things turn sour. This morning I thought everything is going to be o.k., and in a moment it's not. She has chemo tomorrow so maybe the doc will give me good news and this was just a bad day, but reality is back in my face, and I was so happy this morning. You all out there, HUG YOUR DOGS. :angry:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Gracy.

Shannon & Karen :grouphug

Roselle, :hope that Gracy is just having a bad day. From what I've heard, Tramadol tastes terrible so hiding it in a piece of cheese or a meatball might help to get it down.

Kyle, I don't know much about Palladia so I'm curious about you deciding to go forward with it despite the x-rays being clear. Also, are you willing to share the costs? It's one treatment I really know virtually nothing about.

I just posted a wordy update on Neyla's limp and acupuncture in my acupuncture thread so I won't repeat everything here, but she seems to be doing pretty well. Limp is so so minimal, but not completely gone despite increased activity. I really want to see it vanish completely though. More chilled out about it now, but won't totally relax until it's gone.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest racergirl435

Yay Charlie!

I so sorry to hear about the loss of Freddy. To all of you still struggling and dealing with this disease, many many hugs to you. I know it's easier said than done when telling yourself not to dwell on the eventual.

Kiki, congrats on your new pup. He's adorable and I am jealous. ;) Still working on my DH to get another. Though we were out at dinner last night and our waitress was talking to another customer about getting a dog and when she came back over I told her I knew the perfect kind of dog for her and DH and I proceeded to profusely plug greyhounds. It's just sad to me that he obviously loved ours so much but is refusing to let another one in. I can only do what I can do.

Guest greytfulhounds

I wanted to let you all know that my Danny earned his angel wings today. He was a brave, courageous boy but osteosarcoma did not fight fair. If there is anything positive that came out of these last 4 weeks since learning of Danny's diagnosis it is that no matter what life hands you, life can still be lived with joy. Danny continued to live his life with joy & silliness even when I know he had to be in great pain.

Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for all of your support & guidance this past month. I will continue to pray & keep those of you that are still fighting in my heart every day.

oh sherry - i am so sorry that you have "joined the other club" in this thread. my heart hurts for you. it just sucks, and there's no two ways about it. just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, and that danny was one of the lucky ones, as he knew true love. i will, as i have for all the other os angels in this thread, drink a toast to danny tonight. know that we are all with you in spirit - i am so so so sorry.

Jen,

That is great to hear that Whizzer is more comfortable. Controlling the pain is what it is all about. I need to ask, who is the pup in your avatar? Love the smile.

Charlie is doing well. He started on Palladia last night and boy is that a pricey drug! But if it helps, then the $$$ don't matter. He is loving the outside temperatures because it's so much cooler. I have been meaning to get a video of him running back to the door when I call him, it's astounding to watch the speed he has as a tripod.

I hope everyone else and their pups are doing well.

Glad to hear Charlie is doing well.

That is Ross in my avatar. I actually have a houseful of smilers - only one of my eight greyhounds hasn't smiled. And I have 3 exuberant smilers who I have photos of their smiles.

I wanted to let you all know that my Danny earned his angel wings today. He was a brave, courageous boy but osteosarcoma did not fight fair. If there is anything positive that came out of these last 4 weeks since learning of Danny's diagnosis it is that no matter what life hands you, life can still be lived with joy. Danny continued to live his life with joy & silliness even when I know he had to be in great pain.

Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for all of your support & guidance this past month. I will continue to pray & keep those of you that are still fighting in my heart every day.

I am so very sorry for your loss of Danny. I know he fought hard and that made him a brave soul. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time and we share in your grief.

Kyle

Arathorn received his OS diagnosis on August 8, 2010, a week after we discovered a lump on his right front leg, just above the "ankle", which doing a home visit for a new adoption. He had turned 7 just a few weeks earlier.

Here we are on October 20th and he's still pretty much status quo. The tumor on his leg is somewhat larger but not dramatically so. His pain seems to be still under control with Tramadol 3 times a day and Pepcid 2 or 3 times a day. His appetite is still good and he still enjoys trotting around our tiny backyard, still wants to go upstairs at bedtime, still sleeping in bed with us. He's always been a couch potato 99% of the time and that's true still. I have spoiled him a lot the past couple of months. Now, he refuses to eat unless his bowl contains a small handful of dehydrated liver bits that I make for him every couple of weeks.

Every new day with our Arathorn is a blessing and we are grateful for each one of them, fully cognizant that each one of them may be out last with him.

Hugs to all the other OS hounds out there and their owners.

Lois

Lois,

I am glad Arathorn is doing well! It sounds like you are spoiling him which I am sure he does not object too! Give him a hug from me and I hope you continue to have many many more happy times with him.

Kyle

Edited by Charlies_Dad