Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Guest roselle

october8th2010.jpg[/img]

Sweet Freddy Boy we will miss you dearly! Freddy was relieved from his pain October 9, 2010 at 10:30 am. It was the hardest decision we have ever had to make. Although we know it was the right decision, we had no idea how hard it would be to go through the process. We grieve for our boy. We love you Freddy and hope that you are running on the other side without pain or sadness. Rest in Peace Freddy..you were loved.

I am so sorry for your loss. Freddy is free of pain now and we are here for you. :gh_runner

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh no! I am so very sorry for your loss of Freddy. He was a stunning boy and no matter when the decision is made to end their battle, it is never ever easy. You are in our thoughts today and we'll look up in the sky tonight for Freddy as his star will shine brightly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Update on Scoop-dog

Scoop was diagnosed 9/8 with OS. At diagnosis the tumor on his rear left knee was no bigger than the tip of my thumb. Today, just 1 month later, the tumor is the size of a baseball. :(

Despite his discomfort Scoop still loves his walks. He has recently mastered the three-legged walk :) and can really go quite fast! He now puts no weight at all on his OS leg.

His appetite is still good. He especially loves his new treats of DQ vanilla ice cream! He is still excited when Daddy comes home or when we go for an "R-I-D-E".

I think I've adjusted his pain medication to a schedule that works, for now. Last week he was waking me at 3 am crying / whistling. Now, with a little adjustment in dosage schedule, we've gone a week with him (and me!) sleeping through the night.

It's a fine line between making him comfortable and making him comatose. He's on Tramadol (3x/day), Codeine (2x / day) and Novox (2x/day). None of it seems to totally knock him out. But if I need to up the dosage it just might...

We thought when he was diagnosed that he'd at least make it to Christmas. Now I'm not sure he'll even make it to Halloween. :(

I never thought that unemployment would be a blessing. But in this case it is. Spending everyday with my Scoop-dog is priceless.

Our hearts are breaking and we are beyond sad.

Edited by krohe

Guest greytfulhounds

october8th2010.jpg[/img]

Sweet Freddy Boy we will miss you dearly! Freddy was relieved from his pain October 9, 2010 at 10:30 am. It was the hardest decision we have ever had to make. Although we know it was the right decision, we had no idea how hard it would be to go through the process. We grieve for our boy. We love you Freddy and hope that you are running on the other side without pain or sadness. Rest in Peace Freddy..you were loved.

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. :grouphug:cry1 Godspeed sweet Freddy. :f_red

Guest greytfulhounds

Update on Scoop-dog

Scoop was diagnosed 9/8 with OS. At diagnosis the tumor on his rear left knee was no bigger than the tip of my thumb. Today, just 1 month later, the tumor is the size of a baseball. :(

Despite his discomfort Scoop still loves his walks. He has recently mastered the three-legged walk :) and can really go quite fast! He now puts no weight at all on his OS leg.

His appetite is still good. He especially loves his new treats of DQ vanilla ice cream! He is still excited when Daddy comes home or when we go for an "R-I-D-E".

I think I've adjusted his pain medication to a schedule that works, for now. Last week he was waking me at 3 am crying / whistling. Now, with a little adjustment in dosage schedule, we've gone a week with him (and me!) sleeping through the night.

It's a fine line between making him comfortable and making him comatose. He's on Tramadol (3x/day), Codeine (2x / day) and Novox (2x/day). None of it seems to totally knock him out. But if I need to up the dosage it just might...

We thought when he was diagnosed that he'd at least make it to Christmas. Now I'm not sure he'll even make it to Halloween. :(

I never thought that unemployment would be a blessing. But in this case it is. Spending everyday with my Scoop-dog is priceless.

Our hearts are breaking and we are beyond sad.

Keeping you both in my prayers. :hope:bighug This is not an easy journey we are on..........

Karen,

It sounds like Scoop-Dog is living every day to it's fullest and that is what counts. I am glad he is still happy and yet know that time is precious. I wish you all the happy days ahead possible and will keep you both in our thoughts. Hug your boy for me as too many have been lost already.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Hated coming home to this sad news. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I just remembered that today is officially Neyla's 5 month anniversary post dx. Shocked that I didn't remember to post earlier as I've been telling people all weekend in Dewey. Incredibly bittersweet to be sharing this as Kristin just posted in her evet thread that she is letting Sutra go tonight. I am so brokenhearted. :weep If everyone could spare some good thoughts or prayers for Kristin tonight, I think she would appreciate it.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest azlorenz

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Hated coming home to this sad news. :grouphug

Me too. I am so very sorry. :grouphug

I just remembered that today is officially Neyla's 5 month anniversary post dx. Shocked that I didn't remember to post earlier as I've been telling people all weekend in Dewey. Incredibly bittersweet to be sharing this as Kristin just posted in her evet thread that she is letting Sutra go tonight. I am so brokenhearted. :weep If everyone could spare some good thoughts or prayers for Kristin tonight, I think she would appreciate it.

Jen,

I was actually thinking it must be close to Neyla's 5th anniversary so I am happy about that but like you say, Sutra's passing broke my heart this morning.

For Kristin, I am sorry and we share your grief. :weep

always highs and lows aren't there??? my heart hurts for kristin this morning -- i understand and your gt os 'family' is with you in thoughts and prayers. i drink a toast to both kristin and sutra this evening -- both such brave warriors and kind loving souls! thank you so much for helping me get through our 'summer of (*&&^&*&*^ with os -- your very being inspired us and gave us hope that there were many good days (and we DID have good days :) your tips and posts were so helpful that another thank you is far from enough.

now to neyla, flash, charlie and joe (and the others i have forgotten in my sad state this morning YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!! you keep it up - we are SO SO happy for neyla's anniversary and we are with kyle and charlie as they have the x-ray -- you are our heros!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest greytfulhounds

Congratulations, Neyla! :yay You are an inspiration! Jen, it was a pleasure & an honor to meet you & Neyla at Beth Wade's shop on Saturday. What are the odds that in all of Dewey we end up standing next to each other in the same shop? Neyla's success gives me hope for Danny.....we are 3 weeks today. :)

So very, very sorry to read about Kristin & Sutra. My prayers are with them both. :cry1

Shari (am I spelling that right?), it was great to meet you too! I cannot believe we ran into each other like that, but I'm so glad we did! :) I only wish I could have met Danny as well, but I'm glad to hear he's hanging in there.

We have a bit of bad news. I noticed Neyla's gait was a tiny bit off on our potty walk after work yesterday. By bedtime, she was limping badly. Not quite as bad as when she was diagnosed, she was weight-bearing, but not good either. This morning she was a bit better, but not completely. She wanted me to carry her up the stairs after our potty walk. :(

I am trying not to get too worried. I suspect she overdid it in Dewey, and then b/c she was used to being around me 24/7, she was really wound up both days this week when I got home from work and did a ton of running with toys in the condo on top of our usual daily walks. So I think that's what's going on and I'm hoping after she gets her Deramaxx tonight, the limp will resolve. In the meantime, I'm going to move forward with making a holistic appt for her so we can try acupuncture before increasing pain meds if it doesn't. Just a tad freaked out b/c she hasn't limped since around the time that she was diagnosed 5 months ago. :(

Whizzer's having a real bad day. She's just crying and can't get comfortable right now. I'm going to give her an extra Tramadol and something good to eat soon. It really seems to me that when the weather is rainy here, she seems to be in more pain. :unsure

Guest greytfulhounds

Shari (am I spelling that right?), it was great to meet you too! I cannot believe we ran into each other like that, but I'm so glad we did! :) I only wish I could have met Danny as well, but I'm glad to hear he's hanging in there.

We have a bit of bad news. I noticed Neyla's gait was a tiny bit off on our potty walk after work yesterday. By bedtime, she was limping badly. Not quite as bad as when she was diagnosed, she was weight-bearing, but not good either. This morning she was a bit better, but not completely. She wanted me to carry her up the stairs after our potty walk. :(

I am trying not to get too worried. I suspect she overdid it in Dewey, and then b/c she was used to being around me 24/7, she was really wound up both days this week when I got home from work and did a ton of running with toys in the condo on top of our usual daily walks. So I think that's what's going on and I'm hoping after she gets her Deramaxx tonight, the limp will resolve. In the meantime, I'm going to move forward with making a holistic appt for her so we can try acupuncture before increasing pain meds if it doesn't. Just a tad freaked out b/c she hasn't limped since around the time that she was diagnosed 5 months ago. :(

OH, NO!! :mellow: Jen, try not to worry.....Neyla had a good x-ray just before Dewey, right? I am sure she is just feeling the affects of her vacation. Plus, I am not exactly sure where you are but here in New Jersey it got cold & damp literally overnight so if you are having the same weather that could be getting to her too. I know how hard it is not to think the worst but don't let fear rob you of even a second of joy with Neyla.....just love her up & let her tell you what she wants/needs.

Keeping you both in my prayers. :bighug:hope

Guest greytfulhounds

Whizzer's having a real bad day. She's just crying and can't get comfortable right now. I'm going to give her an extra Tramadol and something good to eat soon. It really seems to me that when the weather is rainy here, she seems to be in more pain. :unsure

OH, NO!! It has to be the weather!! Hoping & sending many prayers that Whizzer will feel better after her meal & meds. :hope Please keep us updated & give Whizzer a gentle hug from Danny & I. :bighug

Good news, Neyla's limp has been gradually improving without any changes to her meds. It's still there, but much less prominent. The trick will be continuing to keep her calm for another day or two. Hopefully if we do that, that will be the end of it and she can return to her usual amount of play and walking. :hope

How are everyone else's pups doing? I saw that Whizzer was having a rough day recently. Shannon, haven't had a Flash update in a while. Everyone else?

Edited by NeylasMom

Guest greytfulhounds

Jen, so happy to read that Neyla is doing better. Gentle hugs being sent to your beautiful girl. :grouphug

I, too, was stopping by to see how everyone was doing today? Any updates?

I am almost afraid to say the words but Danny is doing well. He is still his happy self, bouncing up & down when I come home, throwing toys, eating & even trying to dig in the dirt pile I have for them in the dog yard. Scares me to be happy because I am so afraid he can come crashing down at any minute. I am trying as hard as I can to be happy right along with him & trying hard to gather up some of his spirit. I really, really HATE this disease!! :angryfire

Dan goes to the vet on Monday, just 2 days shy of his one month milestone, for his first check up since diagnosis. Praying the vet will pleased to see where he is right now.

Keeping you all in our hearts & prayers. :hope

Guest azlorenz

Good news, Neyla's limp has been gradually improving without any changes to her meds. It's still there, but much less prominent. The trick will be continuing to keep her calm for another day or two. Hopefully if we do that, that will be the end of it and she can return to her usual amount of play and walking. :hope

How are everyone else's pups doing? I saw that Whizzer was having a rough day recently. Shannon, haven't had a Flash update in a while. Everyone else?

I am still trying to get a grip after Kyle's news regarding Charlie's lung x-rays today. My heart is breaking for them. Flash has his next chemo on Monday and will have his lung x-rays then. Of course my husband is on the East Coast the remainder of the month so I'm gonna need you guys!!!! I've been worried about the x-rays since the oncologist mentioned last visit that it was gonna be time. I want to know but yet I'd like to stick my head in the sand. We always hope that our hound is going to be the miracle hound and beat this thing. I am thankful for each day but I want more.

Flash is doing fantastic and enjoys his am and pm walks. He gets to see his neighborhood peeps which always makes him a very happy boy. He is definitly a people hound.

I promise to fill you in as soon as I know something Monday as soon as I do.

shannon - kyle - jen - we are here for you just as you were there for us -- i'm still holding out for being the cheerleader not the comforter - but whatever your news or your day holds, we are all here for you, you know. all of you just keep doing what you've always done - - LOVE THEM!! (i know i don't have to tell you that :)

Guest greytfulhounds

I am still trying to get a grip after Kyle's news regarding Charlie's lung x-rays today. My heart is breaking for them. Flash has his next chemo on Monday and will have his lung x-rays then. Of course my husband is on the East Coast the remainder of the month so I'm gonna need you guys!!!! I've been worried about the x-rays since the oncologist mentioned last visit that it was gonna be time. I want to know but yet I'd like to stick my head in the sand. We always hope that our hound is going to be the miracle hound and beat this thing. I am thankful for each day but I want more.

Flash is doing fantastic and enjoys his am and pm walks. He gets to see his neighborhood peeps which always makes him a very happy boy. He is definitly a people hound.

I promise to fill you in as soon as I know something Monday as soon as I do.

Charlie's news was not at all what I thought we would read. :cry1

Saying extra prayers for Flash that his x-rays come back good & that he continues to do really well. :hope:candle:hope

Charlie's news was not at all what I thought we would read. :cry1

Saying extra prayers for Flash that his x-rays come back good & that he continues to do really well. :hope:candle:hope

:nod I just read his post now. :(

Shannon, really lad to hear that Flash is still doing well. I will be hoping with all my might for good news for you on Monday. :goodluck:hope

Guest kiki_13

Hi All -

Although I haven't posted since 10-1-10, I check in to see how its going for everyone, the progress, and sorry, but usually cry. This group meant so much during Bing's struggle with OS - and with hindsight, I realize the support and empathy . . . and how it helped.

To any new ppl to this group - I wish you, from the bottom of my greyhound addicted heart - all the very best!

- To RichardandJude with Santa - best wishes, thoughts and prayers are with you!

- Gracey - Keep it up and you go girl! - may she continue with good health!

- And to Bay and his pup mama and dad - all of our best wishes, hugs and kisses!

- To sweet (what a sweet face!) Freddy and his pup parents - my heartfelt sympathy for your loss, what a beautiful doggie! May you find peace in your memories of the time you had together.

I miss my special Bing everyday - I wonder how often he crosses my mind . . . .

With misgivings at first, and now, after eight days of his arrival, I know it was the right thing to do ( Cami feels like a mama - I am so happy for her -she was so sad . . . ) - I adopted Blake:

001-2.jpg

He is a six year old boy from FL who suffered a severly broken leg yet is healing nicely - Cami is happy and playing with toys again. :)

He is such a good boy - I like to think perhaps Bing sent him to me. :blush

All of you are in my thoughts . . . . ;)

Guest azlorenz

Hi All -

Although I haven't posted since 10-1-10, I check in to see how its going for everyone, the progress, and sorry, but usually cry. This group meant so much during Bing's struggle with OS - and with hindsight, I realize the support and empathy . . . and how it helped.

To any new ppl to this group - I wish you, from the bottom of my greyhound addicted heart - all the very best!

- To RichardandJude with Santa - best wishes, thoughts and prayers are with you!

- Gracey - Keep it up and you go girl! - may she continue with good health!

- And to Bay and his pup mama and dad - all of our best wishes, hugs and kisses!

- To sweet (what a sweet face!) Freddy and his pup parents - my heartfelt sympathy for your loss, what a beautiful doggie! May you find peace in your memories of the time you had together.

I miss my special Bing everyday - I wonder how often he crosses my mind . . . .

With misgivings at first, and now, after eight days of his arrival, I know it was the right thing to do ( Cami feels like a mama - I am so happy for her -she was so sad . . . ) - I adopted Blake:

001-2.jpg

He is a six year old boy from FL who suffered a severly broken leg yet is healing nicely - Cami is happy and playing with toys again. :)

He is such a good boy - I like to think perhaps Bing sent him to me. :blush

All of you are in my thoughts . . . . ;)

Blake is beautiful (Bing you did a good job sending him to your mama.) I am so glad to hear that Cami is getting her groove back and that you seem to be doing better as well.