Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Guest azlorenz

We lost our 7 year old male greyhound, Mike, to osteo in June of 2009. Our 7 year old greyt, Santa, was diagnosed with Osteo last Friday, September, 24th.

He had his rear leg amputated this past Monday, the 27th. He will start chemo very shortly. We have our fingers crossed. Yes, cancer does suck.

I am so sorry you are joining our club. :grouphug

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest roselle

We lost our 7 year old male greyhound, Mike, to osteo in June of 2009. Our 7 year old greyt, Santa, was diagnosed with Osteo last Friday, September, 24th.

He had his rear leg amputated this past Monday, the 27th. He will start chemo very shortly. We have our fingers crossed. Yes, cancer does suck.

Our Gracy had her rear left amputated and her first chemo (carboplaten) last month. Yesterday she ran like the wind and smiled. Thats all I need to know I's all worth it. You're in our prayers. :paw Gracy and Roselle

Guest azlorenz

Our Gracy had her rear left amputated and her first chemo (carboplaten) last month. Yesterday she ran like the wind and smiled. Thats all I need to know I's all worth it. You're in our prayers. :paw Gracy and Roselle

Way to go Gracy!!!!!

Shannon

Edited by azlorenz

Glad you checked in! :yay for Gracy!!

Sorry ot hear about Santa's dx. :(

Neyla is status quo although she was quite frisky again this morning adn we took an awesome walk. Last night was an arte night, but I think she's also really enjoying the cool weather we're getting. We leave for Dewey on Thursday. I can't believe she is actually going to make it to Dewey!!!! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, of course Neyla will make Dewey, that is a slam-dunk for her. I wish I was going so I could meet her...unfortunately that will not happen this year (even though I am in Virginia Beach as I type this, I fly home on Thursday). It would have been cool for Charlie to Meet Neyla but alas no. Enjoy Dewey!

Charlie is doing very well. He ran so fast on Saturday, I could only stop and stare as he tore up the back yard running with his stuffies. He loves the cool weather because it means no flies which he is totally in fear of.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest azlorenz

Neyla is status quo although she was quite frisky again this morning adn we took an awesome walk. Last night was an arte night, but I think she's also really enjoying the cool weather we're getting. We leave for Dewey on Thursday. I can't believe she is actually going to make it to Dewey!!!! :yay

:yay Neyla!!!!!

Guest ladyhound

I just wanted to say that I am praying for all of the hounds who are fighting this evil disease. Keep fighting babies! I lost my baby Luna on July 8. Osteo is a horrible, horrible, disease.

Jen, of course Neyla will make Dewey, that is a slam-dunk for her. I wish I was going so I could meet her...unfortunately that will not happen this year (even though I am in Virginia Beach as I type this, I fly home on Thursday). It would have been cool for Charlie to Meet Neyla but alas no. Enjoy Dewey!

Charlie is doing very well. He ran so fast on Saturday, I could only stop and stare as he tore up the back yard running with his stuffies. He loves the cool weather because it means no flies which he is totally in fear of.

What a bummer that we are just missing you! Well it will have to just be at Dewey next year. :nod

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest greytfulhounds

Just stopping in to see how everyone is doing & to say that I think about you all & remember you in my prayers every day. I have been stopping by almost every day to keep up with everyone.

It is two weeks today that Danny was diagnosed with this nasty disease. I am so thankful to all of you & some folks from Circle of Grey & the Artemisinin group for seeing us through these first two weeks. When I first came here to post I was making plans to help my boy to the Bridge that Saturday.......he could not use his leg at all, had a hard time laying down & getting up.....I just could not let him live like that. In that time he has been put on the appropriate pain meds & started his Artemisinin......what a different boy than he was 2 weeks ago!! He is his happy & silly self, smiling, eating, bouncing, throwing stuffies & using the leg!! He does have a slight limp but always did from the original track injury. Every day is a blessing that I try hard not to take for granted.....these two weeks have been a gift & I am praying for many days ahead.......I say days because I am trying to think in moments & not futures so that I can enjoy the present moment......but hoping for a million moments!

My Danny is a couch potato in every sense of the word......he becomes one with his sofa! LOL!! Two weeks ago he stopped being able to get on his sofa......he would stand there & look & try to figure out how he was going to do it.....he would give up & go lay on a dog bed......broke my heart. Just two nights ago I captured this shot of Danny......not only on his sofa, but roaching! Something so simple, yet brought him so much joy......made me cry.

danroach.jpg

Thank you all, again, for helping us to get to this 2 week milestone! :grouphug

Jen & Neyla, have a wonderful time in Dewey! My friend & I are driving down for the day on Saturday so maybe we will be lucky enough to run into you two!

That is awesome news about Danny! I am so happy for you and Danny. I am glad the meds are helping and will continue to keep you both in our thoughts and that you have many, many more happy moments ahead.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest roselle

Just stopping in to see how everyone is doing & to say that I think about you all & remember you in my prayers every day. I have been stopping by almost every day to keep up with everyone.

It is two weeks today that Danny was diagnosed with this nasty disease. I am so thankful to all of you & some folks from Circle of Grey & the Artemisinin group for seeing us through these first two weeks. When I first came here to post I was making plans to help my boy to the Bridge that Saturday.......he could not use his leg at all, had a hard time laying down & getting up.....I just could not let him live like that. In that time he has been put on the appropriate pain meds & started his Artemisinin......what a different boy than he was 2 weeks ago!! He is his happy & silly self, smiling, eating, bouncing, throwing stuffies & using the leg!! He does have a slight limp but always did from the original track injury. Every day is a blessing that I try hard not to take for granted.....these two weeks have been a gift & I am praying for many days ahead.......I say days because I am trying to think in moments & not futures so that I can enjoy the present moment......but hoping for a million moments!

My Danny is a couch potato in every sense of the word......he becomes one with his sofa! LOL!! Two weeks ago he stopped being able to get on his sofa......he would stand there & look & try to figure out how he was going to do it.....he would give up & go lay on a dog bed......broke my heart. Just two nights ago I captured this shot of Danny......not only on his sofa, but roaching! Something so simple, yet brought him so much joy......made me cry.

danroach.jpg

Jen & Neyla, have a wonderful time in Dewey! My friend & I are driving down for the day on Saturday so maybe we will be lucky enough to run into you two!

Great photo. I find myself enjoying the simple antics my Gracy has. The present time is so important. You and Danny are in our thoughts.

Roselle and Gracy :couchjump

Hi all,

I'm sorry to read that Danny isn't able to get on the couch any longer. He looked so comfortable in the picture posted.

I know dear Rose had to leave and I'm sure she is terribly missed. It's just so unfair.

Thrilled to read that Neyla is going to Dewey! WTG Neyla..have a ball on the beach!

As for Bay, all things considered, she's doing very well. We will start her on Pamidrondate Tuesday and will start the artemisinin as soon as I get it ordered tomorrow.

My vet, Dr Cynthia, finally heard back from OSU. They don't recommend amputation if mets are present, which in an odd way made me feel better.

We'll do appropriate blood work, another xray or two before we start the Pamidrondate just to give us a point of reference.

Bay is eating well, still has an occasional limp but no other outward signs of osteo. We are, of course giving her Tramadol and Rimadyl and will continue with that as well.

For those of you using Artemisinin, how are you giving this to your dogs? I know it isn't supposed to be given with meat and OSU recommended giving it with peanut butter...so are you giving the capsule in cheese or something else? And are you giving the whole capsule or sprinkling it over the peanut butter and mixing it in?

I've kinda been avoiding this thread for a few days because I was just flat overwhelmed. I've read more darned medical papers, online articles, many emails and face-to-face chats with my vet and way more information that I ever thought I'd want to know about various methods of treatment.

My emotions have been all over the place knowing that I had to make decisions I didn't want to have to make. I just wanted to make sure that I covered all of my options for Bay and did right by her. I am comfortable with what we will be doing. It's nice to be able to get a good nights sleep again and not wonder if I had enough information to deal with this.

I do so admire those of you who have been down this path ahead of me. I don't know how you have done it without losing your sanity.

And, all the while, Bay has just been plugging along totally oblivious to all of this. She's just happy to hang out and stay close to me.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

As for Bay, all things considered, she's doing very well. We will start her on Pamidrondate Tuesday and will start the artemisinin as soon as I get it ordered tomorrow.

My vet, Dr Cynthia, finally heard back from OSU. They don't recommend amputation if mets are present, which in an odd way made me feel better.

We'll do appropriate blood work, another xray or two before we start the Pamidrondate just to give us a point of reference.

Bay is eating well, still has an occasional limp but no other outward signs of osteo. We are, of course giving her Tramadol and Rimadyl and will continue with that as well.

For those of you using Artemisinin, how are you giving this to your dogs? I know it isn't supposed to be given with meat and OSU recommended giving it with peanut butter...so are you giving the capsule in cheese or something else? And are you giving the whole capsule or sprinkling it over the peanut butter and mixing it in?

I've kinda been avoiding this thread for a few days because I was just flat overwhelmed. I've read more darned medical papers, online articles, many emails and face-to-face chats with my vet and way more information that I ever thought I'd want to know about various methods of treatment.

My emotions have been all over the place knowing that I had to make decisions I didn't want to have to make. I just wanted to make sure that I covered all of my options for Bay and did right by her. I am comfortable with what we will be doing. It's nice to be able to get a good nights sleep again and not wonder if I had enough information to deal with this.

I do so admire those of you who have been down this path ahead of me. I don't know how you have done it without losing your sanity.

And, all the while, Bay has just been plugging along totally oblivious to all of this. She's just happy to hang out and stay close to me.

You have been going through similar things that we all go through, a mad rush to absorb as much information as you can and hopefully find something that tells you exactly what to do. You've likely read it somewhere but there is no definite right thing to do. There is a lot of information and no magic bullet. You make your decisions, don't look back, there is no point.

We give Artemisinin to Charlie with cottage cheese and flax seed oil at bedtime. He has not had a problem with the pills as they are not that large of a capsule. You can give it to them with peanut butter, just wrap peanut butter around the capsule. You just want to avoid giving it with anything with iron in it.

Always remember, as long as Bay is not in pain and her quality of life is good, she is happy. These pups have much simpler requirements then we do. Please keep us updated on Bay as we are all her for you both.

Kyle

I know exactly how you feel. I swear to god, I could have gone to medical school based on all of the research articles I read once Neyla is diagnosed. I keep meaning to start a blog or website of some type collecting all of the information I found because I know how overwhelming it is and the timing to start treatment is so critical. The bone cancer site I always link people to already does a really great job, but for people who like to read the actual research articles and more detailed info, it can be hard to find everything. It just keeps falling further down on my list though. And of course, once I make it, the issue will be keeping it up to date.

Anyway, I really just wanted to say that I understand. I don't think everyone works like I do, and not everyone does the insane amount of research that I, and it sounds like you did. It is incredibly overwhelming to try to weed through it all the while knowing the clock is ticking. I also didn't feel like I had good support from any one vet so I was trying to reconcile all of the things that each of our many vets were telling us. For me, I'm incredibly rational and have a really hard time making decisions, and I like to have all of the info in front of me so that I can weigh everything before I make one. Unfortunately with this disease, there is no clear path, there's only researching like crazy and making the choices that seem best given the info you have and then trying to live with those choices. I had to keep telling myself that I was doing the best with teh information I had, it was something of a mantra really, but that's really difficult for me. Give me clear cut choices so I can decide!

I'm rambling. Hopefully my rambling in some small way makes you feel less alone. And I'm very glad to hear that both Bay and Danny are continuing to hold their own.

Oh, and to Danny's mom, I built a step for Neyla to get on and off the couch so I wouldn't have to live in fear that she'd break her leg jumping down. It was very easy to do and inexpensive, I can give you instructions if you'd like when I get back from Dewey.

Guest ktarantino

Well. Freddy seems to be having a bad day (sorry that I never seem to have good news) His tumor on his leg is the size of a tennis ball and now today his foot swelled up....I don't know why the foot swelled and of course we didn't notice till after the vet had closed. Any ideas? I am getting the feeling that maybe this enough..how bad do I want it to get before I say goodbye...The thought of calling the vet to make that appointment is gut wrenching...ahhh what a day

Well. Freddy seems to be having a bad day (sorry that I never seem to have good news) His tumor on his leg is the size of a tennis ball and now today his foot swelled up....I don't know why the foot swelled and of course we didn't notice till after the vet had closed. Any ideas? I am getting the feeling that maybe this enough..how bad do I want it to get before I say goodbye...The thought of calling the vet to make that appointment is gut wrenching...ahhh what a day

no advice -- just wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you on this roller coaster -- i hope that freddy is just having a bad day.

neyla - i am SO SO happy you are at dewey!! i hope you have the best time ever!!!

i am cheering for all of you, as always - teri

Guest roselle

The foot may be swelling because the tumor is blocking circulation. Try gently messaging the foot away from the foot to try getting the fluid out, do this several times a day . You can apply ice first to increase circulation and then massage. Good luck. :headbang

Guest azlorenz

Without each other, I know I would have never made it this far. I am so grateful to each and every one of you.

Guest azlorenz

danroach.jpg

I think Danny and Flash must be distant cousins because their roaching styles are very similar.

Here is before amputation:

gallery_2056_3113_28907.jpg

and this is his first roach the first part of August after amputation (7/15/2010):

gallery_2056_3161_7099.jpg

He's gotten much better at it now, I just haven't taken a picture. More pictures is one thing I need to concentrate on - making the memories last.

Hope all of you have a good weekend.

Edited by azlorenz

There is Mr. Flashman! Long time no see.

Shannon, you really need to post more pictures of him (hint, hint!).

Guest ktarantino

october8th2010.jpg[/img]

Sweet Freddy Boy we will miss you dearly! Freddy was relieved from his pain October 9, 2010 at 10:30 am. It was the hardest decision we have ever had to make. Although we know it was the right decision, we had no idea how hard it would be to go through the process. We grieve for our boy. We love you Freddy and hope that you are running on the other side without pain or sadness. Rest in Peace Freddy..you were loved.

Edited by ktarantino

I'm so very sorry he had to leave you.

Godspeed, beloved Freddy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

october8th2010.jpg[/img]

Sweet Freddy Boy we will miss you dearly! Freddy was relieved from his pain October 9, 2010 at 10:30 am. It was the hardest decision we have ever had to make. Although we know it was the right decision, we had no idea how hard it would be to go through the process. We grieve for our boy. We love you Freddy and hope that you are running on the other side without pain or sadness. Rest in Peace Freddy..you were loved.

oh i am so very sorry that you have joined 'the other club' on this thread - those who have lost our precious babies to os -- i hope the comfort you have found here helps you as much as it did me. my heart is with you - how lucky freddy was to be loved!!!