Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

She's gone.

I'm so sorry. :weep I'll go find your remembrance thread.

Shannon, :grouphug to you. Glad to hear that Flash is still doing well, but will send good thoughts for Robb. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carol and I just got done burying her :(

I am so very sorry.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Carol and I just got done burying her :(

and i thought i didn't have any more tears -- my heart hurts so for you. i pray that my rivie and the rest of the warriors from this thread helped rose over the bridge and they are all our special angels now looking over us. they were all loved - that is for sure - i keep reminding myself that i should feel such hurt for those that have never known a home and love - but my self gets in the way. i hope that you feel the support and care coming your way from all on this thread - we truly do understand - hugs to you - and like i told you in rememberance thread - i drink a toast to the beautiful rose this evening

Guest greytfulhounds

Good Evening to my fellow cancer warriors. I am so sorry to hear of the recent diagnosis, losses and struggles of those currently fighting this nasty stuff. Good news seems to be hard to find these days. However, Flash has his 3rd chemo under his belt and is doing well. His kidney enzymes were up a bit but we've changed his dog food now to a lower protein. Keep your fingers crossed -- his next chemo is Oct. 19 and we do the ever dreaded chest films then as well.

We're all hoping it cools off a bit here (just below 100 degrees plese) so we can start our walks in the daylight rather than the wee hours of the mornings. Me and my 3-legged dog were run home by the javelina on our walk this morning. But I did find out that my Flashyman is still speedy.

As I said Flash is doing well, however, his fellow cancer warrior Robb (my niece's husband) is not. He has just completed a rather brutal course of chemo and has had us all worried sick. This is a link to his Caring Bridge page if you care to take a look at his Leukemia story.

My link

If you all could spare a few prayers for Robb they would be greatly appreciated.

Hugs to all,

Shannon

Hugs & prayers being sent to you, Flash & Robb. :bighug:hope

Guest greytfulhounds

The results of the FNA were inconclusive. Swell. There apparently were cancer indicators but nothing definate. The vet said that a bone biopsy would determine for certain. Swell.

He also reminded me that amputation/chemo was really considered pallative care since it simply removed the source of the pain and prolonged the inevitable. Swell. Like I didn't know that already.

It is making me reconsider aggressive treatment. For all of you who have tried pamidronate, please give me some details on this. Is this something covered by OSU,

if not, what's the approximate cost and have you been happy with the results?

I've already fired off an email to my regular vet to get her opinions on the pamidronate iv's and I'll go talk to her tomorrow.

First of all, I don't think pamidronate would be provided by OSU but you could always check.

I would send the slides from the FNA and the x-rays to OSU to see if they can see anything conclusive.

Lastly, I don't consider amputation / chemo palliative because there is still a 10 percent chance that it will permanently get rid of the cancer. I can't remember if you were the person who said that there are lung mets -- if so, then amp/chemo will just delay the inevitable. Dr. Couto is having some success with palladia reducing the rate of growth of the lung mets.

The statistics remain (with no lung mets visible on x-ray):

palliative care: 6 to 12 weeks on average

amp/chemo: 1 year on average

Only you can determine if amp/chemo is worth it in your situation.

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is such a difficult decision. Whatever you decide it will be out of love for your dog and your family.

Jane

It appears we have lung mets. *sigh* And that is the part that is making me rethink everything. When the orthopedic surgeon isn't encouraging me to pursue amp/chemo, it does give me pause.

It's all such a crap shoot and I hate that. I just want to do what's best for her and I can't figure out what that is.

I did read a little on the Bonecancerdogs.org website and it appears that they use radiation along with other treatments. Not sure about doing the radiation part. Not even sure any of the local vets can even do radiation therapy.

I'm learning about things I never wanted to learn. Hard to absorb all of it.

I understand your struggle in trying to chart the right path. I have been struggling to sort through the options this week too, so know where you are. To the point where I was overwhelming myself & my wonderful vet. A very dear friend said to me in an e-mail this week that dogs live for the now, not for tomorrow & not in the past. Please don't stress yourself so much that you are not enjoying the now with your baby.....that really is all that counts. I finally stopped myself from the craziness, picked a simple beginning & am going to love my Danny with all my heart....figuring out the rest as we go along. Keeping you in thought & prayer. :bighug

Guest kiki_13

Hi everyone -

Danny (with mama Sherry and the bridge pup, your beautiful Susie) I am so sorry to hear of your dx. I wish you the best possible outcome and many many happy days ahead . . . Your pics are so fantastic . . . I'm a sucker for the white faces . . . my Cami's face is all white now too and she is 5 - I read somewhere, either here or on another website something I won't forget - to paraphrase ' it looks as though you've kissed the color right off of their face' and I like to think that is true. Plz keep an update on how your Danny is doing (my brother is Danny too! :) ) Also, esp LOVE the pic of the greys eyeing the hamburgers and fries . . . priceless! :)

Rose, that beautiful Borzoi, my heart is aching for you and no it's not fair, but you know what the saying is . . . there are always going to be those of us in this group with our heads barely above water, trying to breathe, to get through the grief of losing such a close and intimate friend. I believe I know where you're at . . . we picked up Bing's ashes last week and the little canister sits on the dining room table, waiting for Dave to finish the wooden urn/box he is making for him. Sometimes I can look at the tin and feel a peace of some sort and sometimes I avoid looking at it knowing I will cry. Either way, he is home.

Whizzer, and mama Jen, all my thoughts are with you - may he continue on his recovery and and may there be sooo many happy days ahead! Plz keep us posted. :)

Flash - many prayers and thoughts headed your way! You can do it baby! And to Robb - You'll be OK, you can do this - all of my strongest prayers and thoughts are with you and yours. Hang in there, Robb!!!!!

Edited by kiki_13

Hey everyone,

Some of you may have seen the other thread that Charlie finished his last Chemo yesterday and all went well. We are currently evaluating what our other options are and Jane (JoeJoesmum) provided us with what Dr. C is recommending for Joe two weeks after his last Chemo so we are considering going on the same protocol if we can. It was Artemisinin, Palladia and another drug I cannot recall at this moment that I need to research. In two weeks we will have Charlie's lungs x-rayed and that really has me concerned just because that will be the indicator of what is to come. We will keep positive thoughts and fighting this battle with all our strength.

Sometimes it's hard to post in this thread what with all the heartbreak. Rose's passing this week made me very sad as so many pups are losing this battle that deep down I know cannot be won but it still hurts. To his Mum (sorry I don't know your name), we are all hurting along with you.

For Sherry and Danny, I hope he's still doing well on the pain medicine and that he has many happy days ahead.

For Patti and Bay, I sent you a PM on some info that I received from Jane concerning Palladia. It has it's share of side effects so one has to consider this but like I said, I know of one pup who had 12 happy months (up to last week) on it post diagnosis of lung mets.

For Jen and Neyla, you rock girl! Keep it up Neyla!!! I'm still counting the days to 6mths....we'll have to plan on something special for you!

For Shannon and Flash, the Flash man who sounds like he is just calmly taking life as it comes and not worrying about a thing. You keep it up bud, I want to see you and Charlie at the 24mth celebration - yes, we are going big and setting our goals high.

Take care everyone.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I drank a toast and then some to our precious Rose tonight. I miss her :( She was so wildly full of life. It's not fair :cry1

we, too, drank a toast to the beautiful rose last night (as promised) -- and a toast to rivie-- and a toast to all the other warriors in this thread who have lost the battle -- and a toast to all those on here doing well(you go neyla, sutra, charlie, flash, joe and the others that are doing well YIPPEE-- and another toast to the fighters) and a toast to charlie who just finished chemo - YEA!! and a toast to those just diagnosed and the decisions and choices -- and a toast to all my friends here who have helped me through -- couldn't resist -- hope this lightened things up a bit

the good news and the bad is all part of it, isn't it? -- but it is so good to have it all here together and helping each other through and cheering each other on -- nobody gets it like those of us who visit this thread

Edited by teri_d

Guest ChasesMum

I drank a toast and then some to our precious Rose tonight. I miss her :( She was so wildly full of life. It's not fair :cry1

I am so so very sorry for Rose's passing. She was a gorgeous girl and I know that you gave her a wonderful, loving forever family and home. :grouphug:

I still miss Chase...my oldest DD had a "color it yourself" picture frame and she decided that there had to be a picture of Chase in it. :cry1:

Whizzer's been having so-so days. Not good, but not bad. That's alright, best we can hope for. And she gave me a good laugh. I saw her outside on top of the mulch pile doing her business. That wouldn't be such a big deal, but that's always where her brother Bernie goes. It's a battle to see who can poop the highest (and in the winter it's on the snow pile :lol ).

I'm sorry to hear about Rose. :grouphug

I do enjoy hearing about other dogs who are doing well. I also read the ups and downs. There are few people that I actually see in person that have greyhounds, so it really helps to have such a great "support group" online.

Guest azlorenz

For Shannon and Flash, the Flash man who sounds like he is just calmly taking life as it comes and not worrying about a thing. You keep it up bud, I want to see you and Charlie at the 24mth celebration - yes, we are going big and setting our goals high.

Take care everyone.

Kyle

Kyle, you described Flash perfectly. He is the most easy going, calm guy and doesn't have a care in the world other than whose going to take him for a walk next. This week we got run home by the javelina on our early am walk. I am sure it was quite a site to see me and my three legged dog running down the street but Flashy's still got some get up and go in him. We will take you up on that 24mth celebration.

I can also relate to the angst the dreaded lung x-rays bring. Flash is set to have his at his next chemo appt. on Oct. 19. I've tried to bury it in the back of my mind. I guess I am being a bit of an ostrich and burying my head in the sand.

I also want to apologize to all of my wonderful friends in this thread who have lost or been diagnosed and I've missed saying how terribly sorry I am. I find in fine ostrich form that if I don't check in every day it makes the reality go away for just a little while.

Please know that my heart breaks with each and every one of you.

Keep the faith and the fight going!

Shannon

Guest bluefawn

So sad to read these posts, but sending hugs and healing light and prayers for you all that the pain can be managed for both you and your hound(s) in the time you have left. I went through this in 2001 with Evan. He started limping on his RF leg. Vet gave rimadyl but it didn't seem to help much. X-rays didn't really show much, and nothing in his lungs. Biopsy verified OS. He was gone in less than a week. He would have been 9 the following month. Seems we just get to know and love them, and they slip away much too soon.

It will be 2 months next Wednesday that Sirocco lost his fight with os. I have thought about him a lot during that time. What has given me the most comfort is that he was happy until the very end. (His cancer was very aggressive and we treated him with pain meds and strawberry shortcakes.) There are a lot of "IFs" and "MAYBEs" fighting this evil demon cancer. Definites are very hard to find. However, decisions on care all boil down to what will promote the best quality of life for my dog and family. Listen to your heart and gut-feelings about that and you won't make the wrong decision.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest RICHandJUDE

We lost our 7 year old male greyhound, Mike, to osteo in June of 2009. Our 7 year old greyt, Santa, was diagnosed with Osteo last Friday, September, 24th.

He had his rear leg amputated this past Monday, the 27th. He will start chemo very shortly. We have our fingers crossed. Yes, cancer does suck.

Guest racergirl435

Rose is not well. It's time to let her go :candle:brokenheart:cry1

My heart is breaking for you honey. :( Rose and her mommy put up a good fight. I've been so busy with Bailey and her toe/foot issue I completely missed this. :sad1 I'm sure Seymour is chasing her around. He loves chasing furry girls. :bighug

Whizzer's been having so-so days. Not good, but not bad. That's alright, best we can hope for. And she gave me a good laugh. I saw her outside on top of the mulch pile doing her business. That wouldn't be such a big deal, but that's always where her brother Bernie goes. It's a battle to see who can poop the highest (and in the winter it's on the snow pile :lol ).

I'm sorry to hear about Rose. :grouphug

I do enjoy hearing about other dogs who are doing well. I also read the ups and downs. There are few people that I actually see in person that have greyhounds, so it really helps to have such a great "support group" online.

Sorry Jen, I totally forgot about you and Whizzer fighting this battle along with us. She is the very pretty dark brindle if I recall correctly. It sounds like she is doing okay and 'out-doing' her brother!

We lost our 7 year old male greyhound, Mike, to osteo in June of 2009. Our 7 year old greyt, Santa, was diagnosed with Osteo last Friday, September, 24th.

He had his rear leg amputated this past Monday, the 27th. He will start chemo very shortly. We have our fingers crossed. Yes, cancer does suck.

I am sorry to hear this is your second time with this dreaded disease. I hope Santa is doing okay after his amp and please keep us updated on his Chemo sessions. Hope all goes well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest azlorenz

I am so sorry you are joining our club. :grouphug