Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Kiki,

You need a place to express that pain. This thread should be a good place for that. If it is too difficult to hear happy news for some of you, perhaps those of us with good news should post on a different thread? What do you think? Or is it helpful for more of you to hear the good news?

Patti,

I am so sorry you are facing this. Charlie's dad has a lot of good tips. When and if it is time for chemo, remember that certain drugs are available from OSU at no charge -- you still pay for the administration. Let us know when you need contact info.

Jane

i LOVE reading the good news - keep it all together - this thread has helped us all get through everything involved with having a pup with os - good, bad and ugly. the good news belongs here just like the rants, the emotions, the support - it's all part of it. no matter your treatment decision, where you are on the path - or if the path has already ended - its all part of it and it all belongs. i am the biggest cheerleader for the good news - and i will be here for you all, just like you were here for me when my news turned south -- there is no better support network than those who are facing the same things - even though the things you are facing may be very different (or at least different today) -- we are all in this together -and we all get it and understand like nobody else can -

patti - so sorry you are facing this - keep us posted - you will be in our thoughts and prayers are you go through the fna -

I will keep ya'll posted.

It's nice to have a place to post without sounding like a complete idiot.

My DH isn't totally on board with this as yet. He thinks Bay will be this woe-is-me poor little greyhound with only 3 legs. I think she will be just fine in a few weeks...she will just need time to adjust. He hasn't seen the youtube videos of how well they do with only 3 legs, so he'll be surprised.

Not sure she will still be racing squirrels to the fence as fast but that's ok, too.

Getting through Monday will be a big hurdle. We will be doing chemo through OSU if it is osteo. Don't know really what else I can do for her except give her a chance. She'll be 11 in February so she should have some good years left.

I'm spent for the day so I'm going to tuck the fur kids in and worry about it tomorrow.

I do appreciate all the suggestions, prayers, etc. This is just kinda hard to deal with.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone and thank you for the kind words - maybe I don't always express myself as well as I wish I could?

I LOVE to here how others dogs are doing, coping, their prognosis, progression, treatment, - after all, I have Cami and I'm sure another greyt will enter our lives at some point (I am an addict to the greyhound . . . :huh ).

Who knows when we may need this level of understanding, caring and support again in the future? Certainly hopefully, never. . . however, it doesn't always lean in our favor.

I will still be on line and reading of how all of your babies are doing (god willing - they will be fantastic!) - and in the meantime, please know I think of you all often and I don't know how I would've coped without being able to write my feelings to you all. I am a constant referral to out regretful group . . . however it is a too helpful to not exist. - Bless you all from the bottom of my heart! :blush

:) Long may the pups run . . . ! B)

- Patti - my heart goes out to you and my thoughts are with - plz keep us posted! We are here!!! :(

Edited by kiki_13

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I am glad to read the updates with good news, and my heart aches for those lost or not doing well.

Rose had the time of her life tonight at the pier/beach with us. She went swimming, she walked and walked, and she got doted on and spoiled at a restaurant when we decided to eat. Now she's crashed out beside me.

Here she is tonight on the stage at the beach where the band plays.

25sep10052.jpg

Rose looks amazing! Keep it up sweetie.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytfulhounds

Hi everyone!

Sadly, I am new to this thread. My Danny was diagnosed with osteo, Thursday, in his right rear leg. This is a leg he had injured at the track 7 1/2 years ago. Danny is 10 years old, sweet, happy & the perfect gentleman......he never takes anything & always waits his turn for anything that he is given. I have 6 greyhounds & a shepherd mix so he shares a lot.

I have dealt with this terrible disease once before when I lost my beloved Susie. But Susie was an 11 1/2 year old brood who had come off the brood farm as a tripod. I only had her a few weeks when she fell one day in my kitchen & started to limp. When I took her to the vet the x-ray showed osteo had eaten away at her shoulder & a piece of bone had already broken off. I had to make an immediate decision to help her on her way. The grief was horrible......this poor girl had finally found her way off a breeding farm & had just begun to experience the love & joy of home life. So unfair!

This time around, I am praying I have more time. Danny & I have been together for 7 1/2 years but it just does not seem long enough. Danny is still his happy, silly self & I want to let him live as long as he tells me he wants to be here, just want to keep the pain away & make the quality of life a good one.

I am trying so hard to sort this out & get his treatment started ASAP but the emotions keep coming in waves......hard to sort out & think with a clear mind. I had started a separate topic yesterday seeking advice & information and several directed me to this thread. It has taken me 2 days & many tears but I have read each & every post in this thread. I have taken notes & gained some inspiration in being able to help Danny. My choice is palliative care & I am going to read & look into some of the holistic things that you have all talked about.

I am so sorry to all of you that have lost your hounds & those that are still in the fight I will keep you & your hounds in my prayers. I would appreciate any advice or help you are able to offer. Thank you all for this place to come.

Hugs & tail wags,

Sherry & Danny

Edited by greytfulhounds

Hi everyone!

Sadly, I am new to this thread. My Danny was diagnosed with osteo, Thursday, in his right rear leg. This is a leg he had injured at the track 7 1/2 years ago. Danny is 10 years old, sweet, happy & the perfect gentleman......he never takes anything & always waits his turn for anything that he is given. I have 6 greyhounds & a shepherd mix so he shares a lot.

I have dealt with this terrible disease once before when I lost my beloved Susie. But Susie was an 11 1/2 year old brood who had come off the brood farm as a tripod. I only had her a few weeks when she fell one day in my kitchen & started to limp. When I took her to the vet the x-ray showed osteo had eaten away at her shoulder & a piece of bone had already broken off. I had to make an immediate decision to help her on her way. The grief was horrible......this poor girl had finally found her way off a breeding farm & had just begun to experience the love & joy of home life. So unfair!

This time around, I am praying I have more time. Danny & I have been together for 7 1/2 years but it just does not seem long enough. Danny is still his happy, silly self & I want to let him live as long as he tells me he wants to be here, just want to keep the pain away & make the quality of life a good one.

I am trying so hard to sort this out & get his treatment started ASAP but the emotions keep coming in waves......hard to sort out & think with a clear mind. I had started a separate topic yesterday seeking advice & information and several directed me to this thread. It has taken me 2 days & many tears but I have read each & every post in this thread. I have taken notes & gained some inspiration in being able to help Danny. My choice is palliative care & I am going to read & look into some of the holistic things that you have all talked about.

I am so sorry to all of you that have lost your hounds & those that are still in the fight I will keep you & your hounds in my prayers. I would appreciate any advice or help you are able to offer. Thank you all for this place to come.

Hugs & tail wags,

Sherry & Danny

hi sherry & danny -- glad you have found your way here -- i am so sorry for your dx - but you will find lots of friends here, even in the middle of the night :) and we all "get it" - no matter what your "it" is -- so welcome to friends, support, inspiration, help, and ranting & raving -- i hope you feel all the thoughts and prayers coming your way - no advice, just lots of hugs

Guest greytfulhounds

Hi everyone!

Hugs & tail wags,

Sherry & Danny

hi sherry & danny -- glad you have found your way here -- i am so sorry for your dx - but you will find lots of friends here, even in the middle of the night :) and we all "get it" - no matter what your "it" is -- so welcome to friends, support, inspiration, help, and ranting & raving -- i hope you feel all the thoughts and prayers coming your way - no advice, just lots of hugs

Thank you! :)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Sorry about your pup :(

Rose is doing okay, but she is declining some. Her beautiful coat looks ratty, her nose leather is dark brown instead of black, and her breath stinks. Her tumor is large and hot to the touch. She is needy, clingy, and very loving. She still loves to eat, wants to play, and smiles and hams it up. She's amazing.

Guest greytfulhounds

Sorry about your pup :(

Rose is doing okay, but she is declining some. Her beautiful coat looks ratty, her nose leather is dark brown instead of black, and her breath stinks. Her tumor is large and hot to the touch. She is needy, clingy, and very loving. She still loves to eat, wants to play, and smiles and hams it up. She's amazing.

Hugs :grouphug & prayers :hope to you & your beautiful Rose.

Sherry, we are here for you and Danny. It is very hard to keep emotions in check and sometimes you just have to let it all go and get it out of your system for a while. There is nothing wrong with that. It is very hard to have a pup with a terminal disease not knowing what the future holds and constantly worrying. We understand all too clearly. Hearing about Susie is heartbreaking, she deserved more time but she did know your love at the end which is what's important.

I hope that you have many months with Danny still and that each and every one are happy. Spoil him rotten as much as you can.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Whizzer had a half-decent weekend. She hasn't been enjoying playing much anymore, but she's been enjoying eating junk food. She made a sloppy mess out of some mashed potatoes yesterday. And it seems that she's been able to find comfortable positions to lay in a little more easily. I thought she was going to come upstairs to bed with me last night, but instead she chased Bernie upstairs. Maybe the piroxicam was a better choice than the rimadyl?

Prayers for Rose and Danny and all the other pups going through the same dreaded disease. :hope

Just got back home from leaving Bay at the vet.

He took a look at the previously taken xrays and thought he saw some signs in her lungs that looked suspicious.

He is going to do an FNA and more xrays and we'll see how those look. It doesn't look promising at the moment, though.

I got the speech about the 90-95% of dogs diagnosed with osteo already have it elsewhere in their bodies, etc....and the amputation really doesn't really stop the progress of the disease. Yup, already knew that but thats ok. He was actually quite chatty this time.

There is a fairly large power outage in the area of the vet's office so they won't be doing anything 'til the power comes back on.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

Hi all, I've been reading along but haven't been able to check in for a little while. Took the dogs camping this weekend - Neyla enjoyed a really great 1 1/2 mile hike with about 300 feet of elevation change. Perfect distance for her - she LOVES hiking and was raring to go the entire time, didn't really want to finish. It's always been our favorite thing to do together (hike and camp). I'll post a picture or two later when I have the chance.

Happy to hear Rose is hanging in there! Keep it up girlie!

And welcome to the new folks, although I'm truly sorry you find yourselves here. Sherry, I got your PM and will try to get back to you soon - came back from our trip to a mess at work so I may be working some overtime this week. <_<

Hope the news for Bay today is positive. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Bay's update isn't exactly what I wanted.

He is sending the FNA stuff off to a pathologist for a definate diagnosis. The additional chest xrays still are showing something 'suspicious' in her lungs so we didn't procede with amputation at this point.

We'll just continue on with the Rimadyl and tramadol as needed 'til we get the test results back. If it is already in her lungs, I don't see that removing her leg and doing chemo is going to make a lot of difference in her life span.

I'd so hoped that we had caught this in time but it doesn't look that that has happened. (insert a whole string of 4 letter words here) So, we'll move toward keeping her happy and comfortable.

I've got some errands to run before we pick her back up later this afternoon. It'll keep my mind busy anyway.

He is sending the FNA stuff off to a pathologist for a definate diagnosis. The additional chest xrays still are showing something 'suspicious' in her lungs so we didn't procede with amputation at this point.

We'll just continue on with the Rimadyl and tramadol as needed 'til we get the test results back. If it is already in her lungs, I don't see that removing her leg and doing chemo is going to make a lot of difference in her life span.

I'd so hoped that we had caught this in time but it doesn't look that that has happened. (insert a whole string of 4 letter words here) So, we'll move toward keeping her happy and comfortable.

I've got some errands to run before we pick her back up later this afternoon. It'll keep my mind busy anyway.

What did your vet say about hte FNA? Or does he/she not feel confident making a determination.

Have either of you considered a fungal infection? It was one of the things both my oncologist and orthopedist threw out as an alternative earlier on and fungal infections often show up in the lungs. If you're in the SW then Valley Fever absolutely needs to be on teh table, but even if not, there are other fungal infections taht can affect the bone.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sherry, I am sure that is not the news you wanted to hear. The unknown is alway hard to deal with and as for catching this disease in time, there is never any guarantees that this will help. I really hope that is something else because you never know, the initial dx might be wrong. How long for results from the FNA?

Guest greytfulhounds

Sherry, we are here for you and Danny. It is very hard to keep emotions in check and sometimes you just have to let it all go and get it out of your system for a while. There is nothing wrong with that. It is very hard to have a pup with a terminal disease not knowing what the future holds and constantly worrying. We understand all too clearly. Hearing about Susie is heartbreaking, she deserved more time but she did know your love at the end which is what's important.

I hope that you have many months with Danny still and that each and every one are happy. Spoil him rotten as much as you can.

Thank you, I really appreciate it! Danny & I are here for all of you too & will be keeping you & your pups in our prayers. My vet called twice today & she is helping me sort through the information & we will find the best path for Danny. As for Dan, he was his wonderful happy self when I got home today.....just walking with a limp. I need to take a page from his book. :blush Hope that you all have had a good day too!

Whizzer had a half-decent weekend. She hasn't been enjoying playing much anymore, but she's been enjoying eating junk food. She made a sloppy mess out of some mashed potatoes yesterday. And it seems that she's been able to find comfortable positions to lay in a little more easily. I thought she was going to come upstairs to bed with me last night, but instead she chased Bernie upstairs. Maybe the piroxicam was a better choice than the rimadyl?

Prayers for Rose and Danny and all the other pups going through the same dreaded disease. :hope

Thank you! ((((HUGS)))) to your sweet girl! :)

Just got back home from leaving Bay at the vet.

He took a look at the previously taken xrays and thought he saw some signs in her lungs that looked suspicious.

He is going to do an FNA and more xrays and we'll see how those look. It doesn't look promising at the moment, though.

I got the speech about the 90-95% of dogs diagnosed with osteo already have it elsewhere in their bodies, etc....and the amputation really doesn't really stop the progress of the disease. Yup, already knew that but thats ok. He was actually quite chatty this time.

There is a fairly large power outage in the area of the vet's office so they won't be doing anything 'til the power comes back on.

Prayers being sent out to Bay. :hope:bighug

Hi all, I've been reading along but haven't been able to check in for a little while. Took the dogs camping this weekend - Neyla enjoyed a really great 1 1/2 mile hike with about 300 feet of elevation change. Perfect distance for her - she LOVES hiking and was raring to go the entire time, didn't really want to finish. It's always been our favorite thing to do together (hike and camp). I'll post a picture or two later when I have the chance.

Happy to hear Rose is hanging in there! Keep it up girlie!

And welcome to the new folks, although I'm truly sorry you find yourselves here. Sherry, I got your PM and will try to get back to you soon - came back from our trip to a mess at work so I may be working some overtime this week. <_<

Hope the news for Bay today is positive. :goodluck

Happy that Neyla had such a great trip! :)

Guest greytfulhounds

I wanted to introduce you all to my Danny. These are some of my favorite photos of my sweet, handsome boy. :wub:

Dan's birthday celebration:

dan3.jpg

Dan's brothers & sisters hoping to get in on the birthday celebration:

dan4.jpg

Dan comforting Mango, my dear friend's dog who had an amputation due to osteo:

danmango.jpg

Dan being silly:

dan-1.jpg

Dan being serious:

IMGP1173.jpg

Dan with his real brother Freckles......Danny is on the right:

danfreck.jpg

This is my Susie.....I lost her to osteo, quickly, in December '07:

susielimo2-1.jpg

:wub: Love the photos of Danny, especially the silly one and the first one with the french fries. :wub: Edited by NeylasMom

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I'm so sorry Danny has this horrid disease, too, and I'm so sad to hear about Bay.

Danny is adorable... what a precious hound.

On a lighter note, my dogs want you to host their birthday parties!

Guest greytfulhounds

I'm so sorry Danny has this horrid disease, too, and I'm so sad to hear about Bay.

Danny is adorable... what a precious hound.

On a lighter note, my dogs want you to host their birthday parties!

Your kids are welcome at our next party which will be December when one of my girls turns 12 years old! :)

Dan's brothers & sisters hoping to get in on the birthday celebration:

dan4.jpg

Dan with his real brother Freckles......Danny is on the right:

danfreck.jpg

This is my Susie.....I lost her to osteo, quickly, in December '07:

susielimo2-1.jpg

Danny is a very handsome boy. I was trying to determine which photo I liked the best and they are all greyt but I love the pups all lined up together waiting for the birthday celebration. Reminds me of people at a Vegas buffet.

Dan and his brother Freckles :wub: :wub: :wub:

Susie was a very pretty girl.

Morning all (just barely). Just an interesting tidbit - I had speculated that Neyla seems happier and more energetic after having her artemisinin the night before and have heard on the board that others have experienced this. We were part way through our cycle when we went camping, but encountered some unpleasant stomach issues (she had diarhea :() so I decided to just stop the cycle temporarily as we were about to get to teh point where we add curcumin, which can loosen stool. So since we had a few days off, I figured I would just start over with a new cycle, which means last night she got all 3 arte compounds. This morning she was SO silly and playful - lots of hops and spins and playbows and pressing herself against me for pets. I definitely think in addition to the overall beneficial effects, it has a more immediate effect in some positive way. Just wanted to share that. :)