Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Jane, that is GREAT news!! :yay As far as sticking your head in the sand goes, why not think of it as focusing on the present, that's what I do? Sounds much nicer at least. :P Honestly, it's the best thing for Joe and assuming that this affects all of us similarly you will still have your moments, which you are of course entitled to. I have found it surprisingly easy to let go of my fears of what's coming given that Neyla is doing so well, but in a sense I think things will be that much harder when the time comes. I think I will have to start the whole process all over, basically everything I went through when I got her diagnosis again and then some. But, best not to think about those things. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jane, that is GREAT news!! :yay As far as sticking your head in the sand goes, why not think of it as focusing on the present, that's what I do? Sounds much nicer at least. :P Honestly, it's the best thing for Joe and assuming that this affects all of us similarly you will still have your moments, which you are of course entitled to. I have found it surprisingly easy to let go of my fears of what's coming given that Neyla is doing so well, but in a sense I think things will be that much harder when the time comes. I think I will have to start the whole process all over, basically everything I went through when I got her diagnosis again and then some. But, best not to think about those things. :)

Oh you explained exactly what I think and feel so much better than I ever could. I know not dealing with it now will make it even harder when the time comes. But it is the only way I can enjoy the time I have left with him.

Jane

Oh you explained exactly what I think and feel so much better than I ever could. I know not dealing with it now will make it even harder when the time comes. But it is the only way I can enjoy the time I have left with him.

Jane

The other side of it though - and I said this a little while ago, I think before you joined this thread - is that no amount of preparation is going to make the eventuality any less devastating so really, why bother? I think that's what let me finally let go and just enjoy this time (most of the time at least, obviously I still think about this stuff :P).

I'm glad I was able to actually express my thoughts clearly enough that someone else could identify, usually I'm just a rambling mess. :)

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jane,

It sounds like Joe is doing well which is great news!!! Way to go Joe! Isn't it just incredible how they come back to themselves so quickly after major surgery? If only we humans could be so brave.

Jen - your thoughts make a lot of sense to me. One cannot prepare for something that is totally out of their control so it is best not to think/worry about it. The best thing to do is fight and do everything possible to make your pup happy and healthy. As long as I am fighting, I know Charlie has a chance and will explore all opportunities open to me without causing undo pain or suffering for my boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Unfortunately Joe has had his first chemo reaction. Today he developed diarrhea. His oncologist said that it could be a reaction from last Thursdays chemo, it could be a reaction from the switch to EVO (although I have been very slowly switching him), or he could have picked up an intestinal bug.

So he is getting peptobismol, no food, and plenty of fluids. If it hasn't cleared up by tomorrow morning, his oncologist will prescribe flagyl.

Jane

Jane, :goodluck that it's a minor setback. Sounds like it is.

We had our own similar issue this morning. I'm not sure what the cause was b/c I stupidly decided to increase Neyla's Boswellia dosage right around the time I switched to a new brand of curcumin :headwall but she had some serious squirts this morning. No accidents, but she had to go pretty urgently once we got outside. Thankfully things were considerably better when I got home from work. I am guessing it's the new brand of curcumin - I could tell teh previous one wasn't being absorbed completely and curcumin often has intestinal side effects, but yesterday was also salmon day which never helps these sorts of things. Anyway, we'll just keep going and see if it resolves, i fnot, I'll back off both and be more careful next time.

Hi all - I feel so very blessed in having you all as friends that care in the loss of my heartdog, Bing. It has been the longest, saddest, longest, and saddest, (did I say longest and saddest?) week since I don't know when- perhaps when my father passed away 21 years ago next month.

Cami is mourning pitifully - my heart breaks for her also as there is no explanation to give her.

Thank you greyhound friends for the kind messages - I thank you and it is appreciated from the bottom of my heart.

I am rooting for all of you whose pups are doing greyt! I will continue to monitor and support our nice (horrible) group and please feel free to call on me, to cry, rant, rejoice, etc for I will be right there with you.

Thank you all again.

kiki - so good to see your post - i understand 100%. i cannot express how much this thread/group/humans and their greys meant to me during the long summer of 2010! i still follow the thread everyday. do not EVER feel badly about posting good news and updates -- we LOVE to read those!!! more please!!! we are truly happy for you and want to hear!!! i am so sorry that joe had a chemo reaction and neyla had a blip -- kyle, we are praying for you today as you are in charge of chemo - a better round today is well deserved!!! please let us know - rose - you are so beautiful and your mommy is taking such good care of you! i know i don't have to tell you to give them all a hug and scritch and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you dear friends.

Chemo #4 done!!! The vet did a good job this time round with him doing the IV, not the 'new' girl and Charlie was a champ. Of course he got his ice cream right after. One more round to go and a big celebration will happen!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Joe is doing much, much better today. The diarrhea seems to have gone away literally overnight. He ate all of his breakfast this morning. Still hasn't pooped but I would think that is normal. He even brought his stuffie to me to play with him.

Having thunderstorms right now -- not a good thing for either Joe or Twister. But they should be over soon.

Kiki, I think all of us here understand how deep a loss losing Bing was (and is). I am glad that people on this thread have helped you.

Kyle, I am so glad Charlie's chemo went well today.

I hope Neyla is doing better and that the non-salmon meals have helped.

Jane

:yay for chemo going well for Charlie! And of course for ice cream. :chow

Guest azlorenz

Chemo #4 done!!! The vet did a good job this time round with him doing the IV, not the 'new' girl and Charlie was a champ. Of course he got his ice cream right after. One more round to go and a big celebration will happen!

Way to go Charlie!!!!!! :grouphug

Joe is doing much, much better today. The diarrhea seems to have gone away literally overnight. He ate all of his breakfast this morning. Still hasn't pooped but I would think that is normal. He even brought his stuffie to me to play with him.

Having thunderstorms right now -- not a good thing for either Joe or Twister. But they should be over soon.

Kiki, I think all of us here understand how deep a loss losing Bing was (and is). I am glad that people on this thread have helped you.

Kyle, I am so glad Charlie's chemo went well today.

I hope Neyla is doing better and that the non-salmon meals have helped.

Jane

Glad to hear Joe is feeling better!!

Edited by azlorenz

Sorry to just jump in here, but I could use some support please. I'm reading through some posts and is a bad night here or there typical? Whizzer was diagnosed just last week with os, but had limping much earlier (I thought it was due to an injury as I saw another dog run into her in the yard). She's really having a rough night tonight and I'm scared. She's just been whining every couple hours and panting like crazy. She couldn't get comfortable even though no one was in her way at one point.

Hi JEMNN, DO YOU HAVE TRAMADOL OR REMADOL (spelling) Roll the tramadol up in cheese or liverworst with the pill inside. Make sure thereis pleanty of water next to him, give a back massage to calm him down. This has worked for Gracie. We both seem to fall to sleep together.

HUGS TO BOTH OF YOU, Roselle and Gracie :beatheart:heart:gh_child

Just wanted to stop in & say hi & let you all know I am thinking of you & your babies. :grouphug

Kiki, I am so sorry that you had to let your sweet Bing go. :grouphug

I started a thread about how awesome Rose is doing!

Glad to hear Rose is doing well. :thumbs-up

Just saw this...I'm so sorry Dee. Hugs for you. Where in NY are you? I'm in the Buffalo area.

Thank you, we're on the east coast, near Lake George, Saratoga area, north of Albany.

We had our own similar issue this morning. I'm not sure what the cause was b/c I stupidly decided to increase Neyla's Boswellia dosage right around the time I switched to a new brand of curcumin :headwall but she had some serious squirts this morning. No accidents, but she had to go pretty urgently once we got outside. Thankfully things were considerably better when I got home from work. I am guessing it's the new brand of curcumin - I could tell teh previous one wasn't being absorbed completely and curcumin often has intestinal side effects, but yesterday was also salmon day which never helps these sorts of things. Anyway, we'll just keep going and see if it resolves, i fnot, I'll back off both and be more careful next time.

I hope Neyla is doing better. Poor sweetie.

Great news!!! :clap

Jane

So glad Joe is doing better. I can just picture him with his stuffie. :)

Sorry to just jump in here, but I could use some support please. I'm reading through some posts and is a bad night here or there typical? Whizzer was diagnosed just last week with os, but had limping much earlier (I thought it was due to an injury as I saw another dog run into her in the yard). She's really having a rough night tonight and I'm scared. She's just been whining every couple hours and panting like crazy. She couldn't get comfortable even though no one was in her way at one point.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Whizzer. :cry1 I hate seeing them in pain. :grouphug I hate cancer so much. :(

Hugs to all. :grouphug

Edited by nyGreys

Jen, I am very sorry Whizzer and you are having a bad night. Yes, some nights can be worse than others like some days are worse than others. As you likely know Osteo is very painful and for some pups it is much more aggressive. Are you going the pain management route? I am assuming you have Tramadol and some other NSAID, e.g. Metacam? What was prescribed to her? You may have to increase the dosage so I would call your vet and just confirm everything. Don't be shy about giving her more drugs as it's better she out of pain and a little out of it.

First of all, my god, I am freezing! Had to go around and close all of the windows - brrrrr.

Cami is better yet I believe it may be awhile before she finds herself as an individual - grief is a b**tch, yet we endure . . . there is light at the end of every tunnel *sheesh, I sound like the Dali Lami (bless him, by the way) but I'm truly not this rosy and positive of a person much on a daily basis, lol!!! think Erma Bombeck mixed with a little Kathy Griffin .*

It so helped me I really want to be the cheerleader for everyone and their beloved pups as they travel the os path. No matter the end, there are peeps here who understand and are hoping and wishing for the best and it DOES count for something - it matters.

WOO HOO!! Charlie - you go! I can't wait to hear of your soon to be partay - we are wishing white light and the loudest prayers for your last treatment and recovery!

Rose IS awesome and will continue to be . . . . that girl is gorgeous - she will be in my thoughts and loudest prayers too, you go, beautiful girl!

Joe, you're doing greyt buddy! Keep up the good fight, we'll be thinking and praying . . . .

Whizzer's mama - I wish you would post again soon! Best thoughts are with you . . . hopefully you guys just experienced an awful night, the awful nights do come and do go . . . . . let us know . . . .

Best to all of you! - Kiki

Edited by kiki_13

jen -- no appologies here other than to say we are all so sorry that whizzer (love the name!) and you have to go through this. the group is really great support when you're dealing with all the "stuff" associated with dealing with os....so welcome, but we're sorry you've had to come. you will always get great help and strong shoulders here. hope whizzer is feeling better this morning - please keep up posted!

First of, welcome (although the welcoming is always bittersweet), but please feel free to come here as often as you like. Regarding the whining and panting, what doses of what meds is she on? Tramadol can actually cause those symptoms so if you have her on a high dosage of it (particularly if you increased it yesterday), it could be that instead of pain. Otherwise, if it is pain, yes, there are definitely ups and downs. Talk to your vet about what amounts extra you can give on nights like these. What my vet told me is that Tramadol is not a drug you want to increase and decrease willy nilly, that if you want to go back down you have to do it gradually (depending on how much you went up in the first place). Apparently because it's an opiate, if you take them off too fast it can cause a pain or pain like reaction?? I'm really fuzzy on the details here, someone else (like your vet :P) may be able to explain the mechanics better. Of course, on the other hand, NSAIDs are harder on the liver, but in the end, we're talking about an aggressive painful disease so really I think you just need to do what you need to do to get her out of pain. Gabapentin may be another option to add to her daily meds to give her relief. I can say I think Neyla gets more relief from the nsaid than the Tramadol.

I hope Neyla is doing better. Poor sweetie.

Thank you. We're still have liquid stool issues here and there. I was starting to suspect the chk feet I've been feeding b/c we ran out of her bone in lamb, but then she had nasty stool again this morning so it's probably the curcumin. Last night was her last dose of that in this cycle so I'm going to see what happens over the next couple of days. I give her 3-4 days off before we start a new arte cycle so that should be enough time to tell.

I'm truly not this rosy and positive of a person much on a daily basis, lol!!! think Erma Bombeck mixed with a little Kathy Griffin .*

Sounds like you and I would get along quite well. ;) Glad Cami is making some progress. Hang in there.

Thanks for the welcome and support. Whizzer's on Rimadyl 75 mg 2x/day and Tramadol 50 mg - she was getting 2x/day but I started giving her a third dose. Someone else had mentioned Gabapentin and I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and ask him about it. He's a new vet to us, the first time we went to him was her diagnosis. :(

A question: is there anything special you've done to your dogs diet?

Edited by jenmm

i made chicken breasts for rivie - then processed in the food processor -- mixed in veggies and whatever else i had around i thought would be good for her and some evo kibble - she ate like a champ the morning she passed away. i would give some tuna sometimes too - hope this helps

Did you start the dose shortly before the panting and whining, or in response to it? If the former, it really could have been the Tramadol, in which case you might want to back down to the 2x/day again. :dunno

Regarding diet, it's pretty much accepted that cancer feeds on carbs, so ideally you remove carbs from her diet, or to start remove at least simple carbs (grains in particular). You could do this by feeding a grain free kibble or a special cancer diet kibble, or even better cooking a homemade diet, or doing raw if you're comfortable with that. Neyla has been on raw since shortly after I adopted her so the only change I made was to eliminate grains entirely from our treats.

There are a lot of holistic options you could explore too - I'm not sure where you are in terms of researching this stuff, or how interested you might be in pursuing alternative options. At the very least, a high quality fish oil (salmon or anchonvy/sardine, not cod) at the highest amount she can tolerate is supposed to be really good for boosting the immune system and fighting cancer. Also, you could try acupuncture for pain management. If you're still exploring this stuff, read back through this thread - there are some links to websites I've posted and lots of useful info about what treatment options people are pursuing. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about anything I'm doing.

Oh, one last thing :blah - one requirement for chatting in this thread, we'd like to see pics of your girlie please! :hope:)

Guest racergirl435

I hate/love this thread. It's so good to see the good news and it just really f'ing sucks to see the bad stuff. I don't even "know" any of you but I feel like I do. Jenn I hope your girl is doing better (as better as is possible). Sometimes a small part of me (just a very small part because I still miss my boy terribly) is grateful that he did go quickly compared to some because I didn't have to endure watching him suffer for very long. I'm always the one that has to be strong for everybody else and I just don't know how good I would have been in this particular situation. Sorry... I don't mean to have a pop-up pity party. It just sucks without Seymour. God love you all. Give all your hounds a hug for me please. I'm doing a meet and greet with the group tomorrow and I just pray to God it helps and/or that I don't spend the whole 3 hours crying.