Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Oh Dee, I'm so sorry. :grouphug:weep

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dee, I am sorry that you had to make this decision so soon. Abby was a very pretty girl.

Run free Abby, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest kiki_13
Abby was more uncomfortable today. Sometimes she looks so sad & then she'll wag her tail & ask for

a cookie like there's nothing wrong.

This is Bing's exact behavior today.

I can't think of words to let you know how my heart goes out to you and what you must be feeling today and the days to come . . . . yet please know thoughts and prayers - - and all of that other junk that doesn't help you at this time, are with you sincerely, truly and . . . -

as you know, well, I just mean people, and I must say greyhound people: what you are going through, you're not alone. We care, we rage, we cry, we think about you, your feelings and your pup, how beautiful, how special that greyhound was and what it meant to you, and we will be thinking of you.

Also, remember all of us are right here, wishing you the love and peace as your dearest Abby deserves and now has . . . . RIP sweet Abby! XOXO - Kiki

Edited by kiki_13

So it was Charlie's third Chemo treatment. It did not go as well as the others as the clinic decided to have a 'new girl' insert the catheter. Well let's just say she didn't know what she was doing and it was a mess, free flowing blood and in the end she had to stop as DW was about to pass out (I wasn't there but she is usually strong about this stuff so it had to be bad). In the end the vet had to take Charlie to the back and do it himself so now he has both veins that need to heal as they were alternating every two weeks. I just don't get it, you pay big dollars, they know this is critical and they send in a rookie because likely it's a Greyhound and they are easy to see the veins, yadda, yadda....well sorry, my pup is not a 'guinea pig'. Yes I know they all need to learn/practice but that is what college is for, no? The whole incident made DW very upset and Charlie was not happy either. Now he really doesn't want anything to do with the place, poor boy. He will heal but it just doesn't bode well for the next two if he is more anxious when he goes there. It will be my turn next time and I will be quite blunt about how they do things and who does what. I am not good with blood but I will stay by my boy and ensure nothing goes awry.

After all is said and done, this is a minor mishap on this long journey. I feel terrible for all those who have lost pups recently to this disease. It is heartbreaking to read their passing when you have come to 'know them' a little bit more through this thread. All passings are sad but the connection makes it all the more painful. Run free and fast sweet ones. :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

my heart hurts for all of the recent losses....no words....

ahhh charlie - i'm so sorry you had a rookie. i hope you got an extra chicken breast or steak!! kyle - i'm glad you can be there next time - i know this is so hard to be away, but honestly, i think your homecoming give charlie something to really look forward to!!

i am still following the thread and cheering for you, crying with you, supporting you --

i am so so sorry for your loss of beautiful abby - i understand

I'm so sorry Charlie had a rough time this time. I would be totally pissed off too. It's not just about the discomfort he might have experienced then, but about his overall response to going to the vet. You want your dog to continue to have good feelings about being there if you're going ot have to do repeat visits. If your vet isn't too far, maybe you or DW could take him for a car ride, hop in, have the staff feed him some yummy treats, and then head back home before his next chemo visit. That might help "undo" the damage the rookie <_< did.

It is heartbreaking to read their passing when you have come to 'know them' a little bit more through this thread. All passings are sad but the connection makes it all the more painful. Run free and fast sweet ones. :gh_run

:nod There isn't a pup on here that I haven't shed tears for when they passed. And this may sound a little weird, but I had the thought the other day that I have an inkling what it must be like to get old and to watch your friends and family passing, one by one. I am of course so happy that Neyla is still doing well, but it's so bittersweet when I see friends losing their pups. I hope that doesn't sound too weird or selfish. It's just so painful to see this disease take so many lives so quickly, and often in dogs so young. :(

We may have a new member of our "club" soon too, as Rose the borzoi was just diagnosed. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I've decided to come to this thread for some support and sharing. Our Rose, who is 8.5 years young, was diagnosed yesterday. We are still in shock. We plan to make her last days her very best. She'd have turned nine this coming January. What a miracle if she could make it, but we're not holding out much hope for that. She is a precious black and white Borzoi girl.

My heart breaks for all of you... my sympathies on the losses. And poor Charlie... that really sucks that they added that trauma to his ordeal.

I am so sorry for all the sick babies here. :( I wish I could wave a magic wand & make all of them better.

Jenn, it's not selfish to be happy for Neyla, we're happy for her to. :kiss2

Kyle, I'm sorry Charlie's treatment didn't go so well. :grouphug

So sorry to hear about Rose. What a beautiful girl she is. :grouphug

Hugs your babies & please give them a kiss for me.:kiss2

Dee

I've decided to come to this thread for some support and sharing. Our Rose, who is 8.5 years young, was diagnosed yesterday. We are still in shock. We plan to make her last days her very best. She'd have turned nine this coming January. What a miracle if she could make it, but we're not holding out much hope for that. She is a precious black and white Borzoi girl.

My heart breaks for all of you... my sympathies on the losses. And poor Charlie... that really sucks that they added that trauma to his ordeal.

I'm really sorry you find yourself here, but welcome to the group. I can't remember if I asked in the other thread, do you have an idea of how far the cancer has progressed? I hope you have a lot more time together. :hope

Dee, thank you for your support, especially now. :grouphug

I saw your post about Rose yesterday, I am very sorry. She is a beautiful girl and as you say, she has been through so much in her life already, why does this have to happen to her. This journey is black and bleak if you let it be so the only solace I can provide is love them dearly while they are here, spoil them rotten, try to keep a positive attitude as much as possible and when it is time, give them the last gift you can and let them pass gently. We will be hoping Rose can make her 9th birthday and will send all the positive white light your way. Perhaps you can speak to Jen if you haven't already about what she has done for Neyla, it is definitely working.

Jen, I am very happy Neyla continues to do well. She is a strong girl and she seems to be responding well to the protocols you are following. I'll be expecting a big 6 month celebration when it comes.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Jen, I am very happy Neyla continues to do well. She is a strong girl and she seems to be responding well to the protocols you are following. I'll be expecting a big 6 month celebration when it comes.

November 12th, mark it on the calendar!! :hope :hope :hope:)

Rose is very poorly and losing weight. I think we are going to let her go after the weekend :cry1

Oh no. :( Maybe cachexia?

Regardless, I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Guest kiki_13

Rose is very poorly and losing weight. I think we are going to let her go after the weekend :cry1

Oh I am so very sorry, she is a beautiful girl! :cry1

What a gorgeous girl! - so sorry for the heartbreak and anxiety, much white light wishes and kisses coming your way.

Guest kiki_13

Bing had his 30 day since dx xray yesterday - (because we have chosen pain management - ha - over amp or chemo due to evil shadows in the lungs, we've opted to xray/monitor the progress of the bone every 30 days). The vet said she was very optimistic and I was ecstatic! I was so very very afraid she was going to suggest we shouldn't even bring him home due to the size of the lump. The tumor has grown slightly (3 centimeters) and the bone xray hardly differed from the one taken 30 days prior . . . meaning the bone itself has not become compromised yet . . ).

So I had been on cloud 9 , thinking we have at least another month maybe 2 or even THREE! YAY!!

I suspected he may have a 'bad' day or 'night' due to the longevity of the ride to the vet and the general stress of the appointment. He was pretty good today - but I have been up all night and just got him into a deep sleep about 30 minutes ago. The damn lump is bleeding, puffy and just plain gross. I have gently rubbed it with vaseline and soothed him to sleep.

- but now what? I'm not sure if the bleeding area is from the other leg rubbing against the tumor or if it will . . .. what? I don't know, what could or would or will happen?

I know I sound nuts, feel like it now - why this bleeding? Not a lot, but seeping and it did stop yet is an open blister type looking thing. . Does anyone have experience with this? Do I cover it with a bandage and vet tape? Call the vet? Whew!

I have a wedding tomorrow and probably won't go . . . . ugh . . . my husband's family does NOT understand at all. I've missed events all summer. But just feel like I can't.

Pleae know - My heart goes out to all of you in the midst (and perhaps in the aftermath) of this war. May the pups run free and without pain.

Thanks for reading.

- I meant to add this picture which clearly shows the tumor on the right rear - -

8-31-2010001.jpg

Edited by kiki_13

Sorry I don't have any advice on the bleeding. Just good thoughts for you and Bing. I hope things continue to do well.

Just checking in, the thread has been slow lately.

Kiki, how is Bing doing? I don't have any advice on the bleeding, but I feel like I remember one other person encountering that problem, maybe on Circle of Grey? Might be worth posting there or starting a separate thread here to see if you get any responses. I wish I could remember where I read it, but my memory is for crap these days. :headwall

How is everyone else?

Neyla had a fun day on Sunday. We went to a friend's BBQ, where there were a lot of greys. I kept her on lead or in an x-pen most of the day. When people had trickled out and there were only 2 other than mine left, I decided to let Neyla off lead in the yard figuring everyone was super tired. Of course, that was not to be. Pepperjack's Zuni and Neyla started wagging and playbowing at each other and suddenly they were off. They didn't get very far before we were able to distract them, but all of the pups managed a lap or two before I could put her back on lead. Heart attack inducing, but nothing bad happened and she had a little fun. Probably poor judgment on my part, but I will say it was heartwarming to see her actually engage in play with Zuni. She's very choosy about who she plays with and most often, the ones she "chooses" don't choose her back. :P

I am pretty anxious to get another x-ray and see what it reveals, but I'm trying to hold off until we're closer to Dewey b/c I'd like to know where things stand before we leave for that.

Guest azlorenz

So glad to hear Neyla was able to get out and about!

Flash had a very exciting weekend. His last chemo treatment was very uneventful which is a good thing. He was lethargic the day of and next day. Was a bit off of his food but still ate about 3/4 of it. After the 2nd day he was back to his old tricks. I find myself forgetting about the cancer and I do believe that is a good thing. I just am amazed as I never thought that would happen. Anyhoo, my niece from Dallas and her daughter together with my other niece from Denver and her two girls and son came to visit over the holiday weekend. Flashman loves those kids and had a WONDERFUL time. It warmed my heart to see Flash and my niece's son (6 yrs) on the sofa playing wii. Of course Flash wasn't actually playing but he sure was watching coaching. Wish I had a picture but I don't. All in all my heart and soul are in a good place and at peace. More importantly my Flash is living each day to its fullest and loving it.

Flash goes for his 3rd chemo treatment on September 21st. Please keep him in your prayers. We are shooting for 6 treatments total.

Wishing only good for those of you fighting and love and prayers for those of you who have lost. :grouphug

Shannon, I am so happy to hear you say that you're in a good place. I have finally been starting to feel that way too and know what a relief it can be, a total weight lifted. And so glad the chemo treatment went well again. He has a couple more, right?

Your comments made me think - I don't know if anyone on here has heard about Dr. Dressler's dog cancer book - there's a lot of talk about it on the arte group. You can buy it as a PDF, but I managed to get my hands on a free copy. Anyway, it's been sitting here but I only picked it up the other day. The entire first section has nothing to do with cancer treatment, but is instead about dealing with your emotions because you need to be able to make good decisions and be available to your dog. That, combined with a reminder I got reading some of the TTouch book that dogs can actually smell fear (and probably other emotions) just got me thinking about how much our attitudes must play in our dogs desires to fight. They don't, after all, have the fear of death that we as humans do.

He also talks a lot about giving them fun things to do each day, little treats that make life exciting. That's something I really made an effort to start doing with Neyla right away, not because I'm smart like that but b/c I felt guilty. :blush Anyway, it made total sense to me that from a dog's perspective, something as simple as that can make a dog's life so much more rewarding and worth fighting for.

End philosophical musings for the day. :P