Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Handsome Bing :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am partial to fawns but damn is Bing handsome! He's similar to my Charlie boy. Keep up the good days Bing!

Hang in the Kiki.

Jen, it sounds like you keep doing things right for Neyla. Keep it up. And Neyla, you rock girl! Up on the couch!!!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest ChasesMum

yay puppers!!

Oh my Bing, you are a handsome boy!! I :wub: LOOOOOVE the pointy ears! lol Chase used to do that too!

yeehaw Neyla for getting up on the couch!! good girl!

Oh my gosh, Bing's ears!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: I love big ears that stick straight up like that, but those are HUGE! He reminds me of my foster Sunny. Sunny is the guy who made me realize I was ready to adopt (I fostered for a year without having my own) and eventually led me to Neyla as a result:

SunnyFace.jpg

Yesterday was day 2 of our second Arte cycling regimen. I like the first 3 days of it b/c she gets 3 different forms of arte in varying dosages: 200 mg artemisinin, 50 mg artesunate, & 40 mg artemether. I feel like I'm hitting that cancer hard for the first 3 days and it seriously makes me happy to give it to her. I know, a bit strange perhaps, but I really feel now like the arte must be doing something. I have a new theory beginning to form that her off days are the days when she seems sorer. It seems unlikely that the arte would work that immediately, but not impossible so it's something I'm going to watch. I may reduce the # of off days b/w cycles.

Man, I'm chatty recently.

Anyway, Kiki, glad Bing is doing better and will be keeping my fingers crossed for the x-ray on Thursday. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest racergirl435

As some of you know, my boy Seymour was diagnosed Wedesday. It was in his right front shoulder. He had a big hole in the middle of the shoulder bone, as well as a fracture going all the way across the bone just below the hole. All that was surrounded by a spongy looking mass. My husband and I decided not to amputate and chose to put him to sleep. By the time I got to the hospital Wednesday, his shoulder was severely broken and he was in an insurmountable amount of pain. They brought him out of his kennel and put us in a room so I could spend some time with him before we sent him to the bridge. Once my husband got there, we spent some more time with him and then let him go. I can't stop thinking about that day. Seeing him in so much pain broke my heart more than letting him go. In my heart I know we did the right thing. I just wish I'd thought to have him x-rayed when he started limping a couple of months ago. Maybe then I could have at least prevented the amount of pain he had to die with. I'm also afraid of how protective this experience is going to make me with our next hound. It just sucks.

Guest ChasesMum

racergirl, please don't beat yourself up. my parents husky had osteo in his shoulder and he had a huge lump and he didnt seem to be in pain at all - still smiley and happy and coming out to visit! George on the other hand had such a small (or hidden?) lesion, so small our docs cleared his xrays twice and the oncologist only was 85% sure that it was osteo, and he was in a huge amount of pain. some just don't seem to have it as bad as others... I am sure that if Seymour was in a great deal of pain (before the break that is)he would have made you aware. *hugs* what a terrible loss you have had, a big ol whallop of it. *hugs*

Racegirl, xraying the shoulder may not have changed anything at all. Sirocco's bones looked great on his xrays. The vet took numerous views thinking one had to show something. Nope---nothing. We decided to do the biopsy to determine what the lump was. I had myself convinced it had to be a soft tissue cancer that could be resected. Not only was it osteo, but the biopsy caused the tumor to start growing quickly. It doubled in size within 24 hours. If I hadn't had it biopsied, maybe we could have had an extra month or two. But then again, I would have worried constantly that the lump might have been something treatable and I was allowing him to die needlessly.

We all do the best we can. Maybe another decision would have bought us some time. But then again, it may have lost us time too. Please don't be too hard on yourself. :grouphug Many of us in this thread have been where you are now.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest racergirl435

Thank you. I know in my heart what you're saying is true. It's just so hard. We take so many things for granted and think things will be just as they have been forever. And you're right. We did get one hell of a whollup. My poor husband even worse. I called him at work and told him we needed to make a decision and how soon could he leave work. I am very thankful for this forum. I may not come on here often, but I know when I do there will be plenty of those who understand.

Guest kiki_13

Thank you. I know in my heart what you're saying is true. It's just so hard. We take so many things for granted and think things will be just as they have been forever. And you're right. We did get one hell of a whollup. My poor husband even worse. I called him at work and told him we needed to make a decision and how soon could he leave work. I am very thankful for this forum. I may not come on here often, but I know when I do there will be plenty of those who understand.

Racergirl - My heart goes out to you! What a terrible situation . . . you certainly did everything you could've given this horrible disease and the inability to determine its progression and the poor dog being unable to communicate his pain. It is the most frustrating thing - everyday is unpredictable. Thinking of you and hope your pain will ease with the great memories you carry in your heart.

As some of you know, my boy Seymour was diagnosed Wedesday. It was in his right front shoulder. He had a big hole in the middle of the shoulder bone, as well as a fracture going all the way across the bone just below the hole. All that was surrounded by a spongy looking mass. My husband and I decided not to amputate and chose to put him to sleep. By the time I got to the hospital Wednesday, his shoulder was severely broken and he was in an insurmountable amount of pain. They brought him out of his kennel and put us in a room so I could spend some time with him before we sent him to the bridge. Once my husband got there, we spent some more time with him and then let him go. I can't stop thinking about that day. Seeing him in so much pain broke my heart more than letting him go. In my heart I know we did the right thing. I just wish I'd thought to have him x-rayed when he started limping a couple of months ago. Maybe then I could have at least prevented the amount of pain he had to die with. I'm also afraid of how protective this experience is going to make me with our next hound. It just sucks.

I am so very sorry for your loss of Seymour. Please do not blame yourself as a limp can be caused by many things. Yes Osteo is the worst cause and to diagnose is not always easy especially in the shoulder. Many on here have had their Greys limp and it only turns out to be a sprain, a corn or something in their pad. Osteo is the last thing we want to think they might have so we tend to all look for the less serious causes, it's only natural.

It sounds like you have already opened your heart to the possibilities of another Grey in the future and know that if Seymour could talk, he would have thanked you for a wonderful life, told you not to blame yourself for something you did not know about and encourage you to show another pup the same love you shared with him.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest azlorenz

:bighug to all who have lost this week.

:bighug and to those of you who are hanging in there.

Either way it is way too many of us.

Nothing really new for us thank goodness. Flash bounced back from his 2nd chemo treatment Tuesday like a champ. Contrary to what the oncologist expects, he has the most discomfort the day after treatment. And I really wouldn't call it discomfort, he's more just out of sorts and lethargic. Today he went on his normal weekend walk 1 mile plus.

gallery_2056_3161_12990.jpg

I'm so sorry. My heart is breaking for you. :grouphug

Bing is a gorgeous boy. :wub:

Neyla got on the couch! :thumbs-up

Abby was more uncomfortable today. :( Sometimes she looks so sad & then she'll wag her tail & ask for

a cookie like there's nothing wrong.

Here's a pic. of her laying outside a few days ago.

I love her so much. :wub:

DSCN1328800x513.jpg

Hugs to all the pups & their people. :grouphug

Abby was more uncomfortable today. :( Sometimes she looks so sad & then she'll wag her tail & ask for

a cookie like there's nothing wrong.

Here's a pic. of her laying outside a few days ago.

I love her so much. :wub:

DSCN1328800x513.jpg

Hugs to all the pups & their people. :grouphug

Well, it's obvious you love her. You've kissed all the color right off her face. (I'm working on Nikki's but she still has a couple stubborn spots)

Double the hugs to everyone.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Abby is even prettier close up! I'm sorry she is having a down day, unfortunately there are ups and downs along this journey. Hopefully she will have more ups and give a big hug from me.

Guest racergirl435

Thanks to you all for your hugs and thoughts. It means a lot to know there are those that understand. We've been trying to stay busy at an attempt at keeping our minds off our loss and have been spoiling Bailey along the way. She doesn't seem to mind. ;)

We are keeping our hearts open to another hound. Interestingly enough it's my husband who is leaning more towards it than I. Especially since it took me so long to convince him to get the first one. I'm not opposed to the idea, just not sure if I'm ready for that. It's just tough. Every greyhound face I see reminds me of Seymour.

Abby is beautiful. I wish those who are fighting this disease all the luck in the world.

Aw, Abby is so beautiful and dignified. :wub: And I love her collar. :lol

Neyla is doing so well it's just hard to believe. We went on another 1.7 mile hike on Saturday with really no noticeable soreness or fatigue afterward. She continues to be really playful in the house and this morning, jumped into bed with me to snuggle for the first time in a while. :wub: The holistic vet told me that hte body has an amazing ability to heal, including bone regrowth at her tumor location. I am starting to fantasize about the arte getting rid of the tumor and her bone healing. It's a dangerous train of thought since we all know that isn't going to happen. Assuming there's no reason to do it sooner, we'll probably do an x-ray to check progression sometime before Dewey in October.

Dee, do you have a doggie acupuncturist in your area? That's what the holistic vet recommended we try next for pain mgt - maybe it could give Abby a little extra relief? He's the one who suggested the chiro adjustment for Neyla and I really do believe it helped her. Sutra's mom does chiro adjustment's for him too wiht a lot of success. Just a thought. It's definitely not cheap though, at least not around here. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest ChasesMum

Well, it's obvious you love her. You've kissed all the color right off her face. (I'm working on Nikki's but she still has a couple stubborn spots)

Double the hugs to everyone.

:wub: that is smack on accurate!! I did the same to Chase. i think she greyed out more that last week than in a long time previous.

aww now I'm teary again. :cry1

:grouphug

Edited by ChasesMum

gallery_2056_3161_12990.jpg

Love the pic of Flash on his walk. These pups amaze us at what they can do on three legs and how they don't let some stupid thing like cancer spoil their day.

aww now I'm teary again. :cry1

:grouphug

Karen :grouphug

Joey ran yesterday -- and gave me a scare.

Since Joey has shown no interest in running, I have gotten a bit lazy about the leash. They usually just go out in my fenced yard anyway. So yesterday, I was unloading the car in the garage with the garage door open. I opened the door into the house and Joe came out to greet me. He decided he needed to pee, so I let him go out of the garage. After he peed, he decided it would be good to take a visit to the front forty (I have acreage) and took off down the long driveway. Well I called him and he stopped and came back, but his freedom will once again be curtailed to always being on a leash when outside of the fence.

But this is very good news. He still doesn't want to use the right rear leg and mostly ran on just the two with using the right rear for balance. But he still motored on pretty well.

Jane

Guest ChasesMum

Aww Dee, so sorry to hear that. Sweet Abby, dear sweet girl. run free and find those pups of ours that are waiting for you!!

*hugs* to you and your family hun, people and houndies...know that we are all greiving with you!

I let my sweet baby girl go today. :weep I will miss her so much. :brokenheart

Thank you all for your kindness & support, it helped me so much. :grouphug

Hug your babies & give them a kiss for me.

Dee

[/quote

dee - we all understand your pain -- i am so sorry for you -- your abby was so so so beautiful. i know she took a piece of your heart with her - but she left you a piece of her own. you are in my thoughts and prayers

{{{{{{{{{{Dee}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.