Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Aww, Charlie. :wub: How did his chemo go?

All's good. His WBC is a little lower (3.3) than last Saturday (3.8). We asked for some antibiotics to see if we can get that back up a little.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All's good. His WBC is a little lower (3.3) than last Saturday (3.8). We asked for some antibiotics to see if we can get that back up a little.

Glad everything went okay. How do ABs help raise the WBC? Or are you just concerned about a possible infection since it's down?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Glad everything went okay. How do ABs help raise the WBC? Or are you just concerned about a possible infection since it's down?

I don't think they will elevate them, it's just for possible infections. Our vet also told us no going to the local picnic for GSNCR (Greyhound Supporters National Capital Region) that is scheduled for Aug. 28th as he is concerned that Charlie could catch something from the other pups. What a disappointment as we were looking forward to that but as soon as he said it, we were like, 'duh'. So no go for that and I know Charlie would have liked it as he is so happy when he meets other Greys. Oh well, he will be going next year as I promised him and he promised me :nod .

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest ChasesMum

good plan you two! next year for sure! and yesh I can see why that chair was the place... greys are solar powered! :nod

i don't know what scale they use up here, but at the ehrlichia diagnosis, Chase's wbc was at 34 and when it got up to 166 they said that was in the low normal range. :dunno just had to add my wbc 2 cents! lol

Edited by ChasesMum

Guest azlorenz

Glad Charlie is right on schedule with his chemo. I think Flash is going to be a 4 wk Carboplatin guy. His white cell was still a little low so she wanted to hold off until next week. And we too stopped for ice cream yesterday. It works for good visits and bad visits : )

good plan you two! next year for sure! and yesh I can see why that chair was the place... greys are solar powered! :nod

i don't know what scale they use up here, but at the ehrlichia diagnosis, Chase's wbc was at 34 and when it got up to 166 they said that was in the low normal range. :dunno just had to add my wbc 2 cents! lol

My understanding of WBC is normal is anywhere between 6,000 and 17,000 per microliter or 6 and 17 in my lingo. Charlie was at 8.8 just after his amp, then the first blood test was 4.8 just prior to round 1 of Chemo, then last Saturday it was 3.8 and now it's 3.3 so we are going the wrong way!

Glad Charlie is right on schedule with his chemo. I think Flash is going to be a 4 wk Carboplatin guy. His white cell was still a little low so she wanted to hold off until next week. And we too stopped for ice cream yesterday. It works for good visits and bad visits : )

Sorry to hear about the delay on Flash's second Chemo Shannon. I hear it's quite common that a delay of a week occurs at some point along the way. We'll cross our fingers that all is good for next week.

Charlies_Dad, I think your vet is using "other dog" WBC criteria. Greyhounds run low WBCs normally -- Dr. Stack gives @ 3.5 - 6.5, see http://www.greythealth.com/blood.html ; may vary a bit depending on the lab. At 8.8 you'd likely have a little infection going on. I'd have to look up the paperwork but IIRC for Batman's chemo they only wanted to see WBC @ 2.0 or better. You are correct, the antibiotics won't raise WBC; they're just to ward off infection while the dog's own immune system is compromised.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Charlies_Dad, I think your vet is using "other dog" WBC criteria. Greyhounds run low WBCs normally -- Dr. Stack gives @ 3.5 - 6.5, see http://www.greythealth.com/blood.html ; may vary a bit depending on the lab. At 8.8 you'd likely have a little infection going on. I'd have to look up the paperwork but IIRC for Batman's chemo they only wanted to see WBC @ 2.0 or better. You are correct, the antibiotics won't raise WBC; they're just to ward off infection while the dog's own immune system is compromised.

Yes, you are 100% correct (of course ;) ). I had spoken to him about the different results Greys will have and he has some knowledge of Greys so he is not overly concerned. He confirmed he wants 2.0 or better for Chemo so we still have room. Tks.

Cool :) . I'm glad he's doing so well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Morning everyone.

Just thought I would send an updated pic of Charlie enjoying a chair he decided looked comfortable...for some reason the pic is not appearing. I'll try again.

And again.

DSC_00913460.jpg

Awwww, what a sweetheart. :wub:

Ice cream works for everything. :)

Guest ChasesMum

morning all! :grouphug: Chase's ashes have been waiting at the vets office for like 10 days now, but I haven't been able to head out there and get them. I know I will bawl...i still feel so sad in the evenings and mornings when she would come on our bed for extra special snuggle time. she always had to be leaning on one of us. I miss that...and getting her ashes back makes is all seem so final. Apparently the dreary rainy weather has made me pretty melancholy this morning.

Guest roselle

morning all! :grouphug: Chase's ashes have been waiting at the vets office for like 10 days now, but I haven't been able to head out there and get them. I know I will bawl...i still feel so sad in the evenings and mornings when she would come on our bed for extra special snuggle time. she always had to be leaning on one of us. I miss that...and getting her ashes back makes is all seem so final. Apparently the dreary rainy weather has made me pretty melancholy this morning.

I am so sorry for you, and for all of us who are faceing the same thing. Darn these Greyson for being so darn loveing. Gracy is seeing the dove this week for amputation of her back left leg. Any experience out there with amputation? Roselle

Karen, yes picking up their ashes is very hard as it is all too real.

I am so sorry for you, and for all of us who are faceing the same thing. Darn these Greyson for being so darn loveing. Gracy is seeing the dove this week for amputation of her back left leg. Any experience out there with amputation? Roselle

Roselle, yes there are many here on GT who have gone the amputation route. Both my Charlie and Shannon's Flash have had their rear legs amputated just over a month ago. I am sure one of us can answer your questions or concerns as it's so fresh in our memories.

Roselle,

I would be happy to email or talk with you regarding the amputation. My email is Email me

My phone number is 614-523-0754

Jane

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Maybe it will help to think of it as her coming home? And it may give you some closure so you can start to heal? :dunno I don't really know what I'm talking about though, I've only been through it once, with my childhood cat and all I can remember is that I sobbed for days and days if not weeks.

The pups and I arrived in Pgh today. We're here until Sunday, for my grandmother's 95th birthday. A little less stressful this time (hopefully) b/c we're staying at my grandmother's again so the house is more familiar (we have the place to ourselves as my grandmother was moved to a nursing home about 6 wks ago).

Anyway, :blah we had our appt with Dr. Doug the holistic vet up here who out of hte kindness of his heart did a free phone consult with me after Neyla's dx. I really just had some fine tuning type qx, but we did the holistic consult since we were here. He suggested the one thing I was really afraid of, a chiropractic adjustment, but he was very patient with me and talked me through how he would do it and so on so I let him do it. I am waiting to see how she is tomorrow to see whether it helped or hurt or did nothing - it shouldn't hurt, but I like to worry as you all know. :rolleyes: He also recommended we try acupuncture next before we increase pain meds again, which I think we will do. I may go ahead and set up teh consult now b/c I think it might help her muscle soreness in her back leg. It's just SO FREAKING $$$!

Sorry, I'm rambling tonight. Hope everyone else is doing well - sorry to hear about Flash's chemo delay, but hopefully he can get it next week. :goodluck Glad Charlie's WBC is okay after all. :)

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry for your loss. Godspeed, Rivie.

Guest azlorenz

rivie lost her battle with osteosarcoma 8/19 i hate posting this - it makes it real. i am devistated. more when i can bear it.

No, no, no, no, no. I hate this disease :angryfire

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free Rivie. :grouphug

I know it's very hard picking up their ashes. I started bawling when I picked up Rusty's & had to go outside &

when I got out there I called them & told them I was out in the parking lot & would someone please bring his ashes to me,

they were very nice & brought them out. I cried on the way home, but ya know what, when I brought him in the house,

I felt so much better that he was home where he belonged.

Hugs to you. :grouphug

rivie lost her battle with osteosarcoma 8/19 i hate posting this - it makes it real. i am devistated. more when i can bear it.

Oh no, I am so very very sorry. :cry1:grouphug

Teri,

I am very sorry. Just the other day I was thinking how well Rivie was doing so obviously something changed significantly in the past couple days. Your kind words have meant a lot to many of us in our hard times and now you are facing this most difficult time. You did everything you could for Rivie and that love shined through. That is what she always knew and you both had a special bond. She will continue to be with you, not in body but in spirit and sometime in the future you will smile when you think of her. For now, hang in there and know we are here to lean on.

Run free Rivie, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Oh no, Teri, I am shocked. I didn't realize you were getting close to making that decision. :weep Run free sweet Rivie. Teri, I will keep you in my thoughts.

Teri, please know that we are all grieving with you. Lots of hugs and please let us know how you are doing.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest ChasesMum

Oh Teri *hugs* you gave her such a wonderful life and I know she was so very happy as a member of your family. You did so much for her and we know you loved her so very much.

run free sweet Rivie, find Chase and go for a good run together sweet girl... :cry1

Thanks for the kind words about Chase's ashes...i will get them soon. its a solid 30 minute drive to that vet so that is part of the reason I havent gotten them yet. :blush