Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Guest ChasesMum

Nikki, I am very sorry for the loss of your Jasmine. I bet that Sirocco and Chase are showing her the ropes at the bridge. Please know that we are with you in your grief.

:nod

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just opened up gt and rememberance caught my eye - puck - *&^^%&^% -- i am so sorry - i know they were doing home cooking to entice puck, but hadn't seen any posts for a couple days now that i think of it - my heart hurts for them - any freddy updates???

Edited by teri_d

Nikki, I am so sorry to hear about Jasmine. Our hearts go out to you. She sounds like she really knew she was home and loved by you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

ok my friends, i need you today -- rivie is having an 'off day' - win had a nail trim appt this morning - rivie always LOVES to go in the car - so i had phoned ahead to say she would not be getting a nail trim, but she would be along - she LOVES the bandanas they give her, so they said they would put a special bandana on her & make over her while win got his pedicure. she did get up with tail wagging and we went out on leashes to do any business that needed to be done before - i had the car gate open and ready -- you can't keep her out of the car - she walked right by the open hatch for the door to the house. i went ahead and took win and brought riv home a special beautiful bandana :) she was standing at the door when we got home, but panting - actually the first time i have looked at her and thought 'i think she is feeling it' -- immediately headed for the tramadol bottle - (wanted to head to the liquor bottle for me). oh, please let this be just a bad day - i am just not ready to part with my best friend yet. my head and my heart are having a huge battle already - i don't want to be selfish, but really guys - she has been doing so awesome -- not 100%, but probably 90% - with gabapentin and tramadol only in am and pm - hardly any days where she has had daytime dose. i know i am rambling - but i also know you all understand. please let this just be a bad day - but please also let me know if she is feeling it - i do not want my beautiful girlie to hurt. of course you know i am sitting here crying - i have tried hard to cry in the shower/corner/car/work so she does not see me cry - ok - enough - just say a little prayer for 'just a bad day' for us - k?? thanks my friends.......

Sending gentle hugs for you and your Rivie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Teri :grouphug Is she on an NSAID? If not, and this turns out to not just be an off day, why not go that route? I felt the Deramaxx helped Neyla a lot more than the Tramadol although I also know each dog is different. Neyla is on 25 mg/day right now, along with the 50 mg Tram 2x/day plus the 25 mg of that we added at bedtime recently. Hoping it's just an off day though and you don't even need it. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Here are a couple of pics of Jasmine that Nikki sent for me to share, the last one made me cry Nikki. :( Sorry I didn't post them all, but at work.

NikkisJasmine2009.jpg

NikkiJazz.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

{{{{{{{{{{Nikki}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Teri, we are hoping it's just one of those tough days for Rivie and she bounce right back. Hang in there.

Nikki, Jasmine was a beautiful girl. Thanks for letting us see her (and Jen for posting the pics).

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

ok my friends, i need you today -- rivie is having an 'off day' - win had a nail trim appt this morning - rivie always LOVES to go in the car - so i had phoned ahead to say she would not be getting a nail trim, but she would be along - she LOVES the bandanas they give her, so they said they would put a special bandana on her & make over her while win got his pedicure. she did get up with tail wagging and we went out on leashes to do any business that needed to be done before - i had the car gate open and ready -- you can't keep her out of the car - she walked right by the open hatch for the door to the house. i went ahead and took win and brought riv home a special beautiful bandana :) she was standing at the door when we got home, but panting - actually the first time i have looked at her and thought 'i think she is feeling it' -- immediately headed for the tramadol bottle - (wanted to head to the liquor bottle for me). oh, please let this be just a bad day - i am just not ready to part with my best friend yet. my head and my heart are having a huge battle already - i don't want to be selfish, but really guys - she has been doing so awesome -- not 100%, but probably 90% - with gabapentin and tramadol only in am and pm - hardly any days where she has had daytime dose. i know i am rambling - but i also know you all understand. please let this just be a bad day - but please also let me know if she is feeling it - i do not want my beautiful girlie to hurt. of course you know i am sitting here crying - i have tried hard to cry in the shower/corner/car/work so she does not see me cry - ok - enough - just say a little prayer for 'just a bad day' for us - k?? thanks my friends.......

It almost sounds like some separation anxiety. She was fine, she missed an outing she loved, then she stressed while you were gone. I think I would have been more concerned if she was not standing when you walked in the door. She is doing great if that is all the pain med she is needing. Big hugs to both of you.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest azlorenz

:goodluck Here is hoping it is just a bad day. :bighug

Here are a couple of pics of Jasmine that Nikki sent for me to share, the last one made me cry Nikki. :( Sorry I didn't post them all, but at work.

NikkisJasmine2009.jpg

NikkiJazz.jpg

She's beautiful Nikki. One of those adorable patchy hounds. I am so sorry. :grouphug

Edited by azlorenz

Guest azlorenz

Let me first off start with Flash is doing fantastic. Is sleeping all day on his sofa and usually gets up only once to go pee and then right back to the sofa. That is has always been his routine so I am so happy to see him return to it. Seems like any anxiety he has had the past few weeks has disappeared. He is walking about 1/2 mile every morning and longer on the weekends. His next chemo treatment is Tuesday. Keep your fingers crossed his wbc and platlets are up and he's able to continue.

On another note, the hits just keep on coming. We received an urgent call last night that my niece's husband (38 yrs) in Kansas City was diagnosed with Leukemia. They did a blood test at the Dr.'s office and called the ambulance to take him to KU Med Center. He is in ICU and they immediately started him on chemo. He is in and out of consciousness but they are optimistic if they can get him through the next few days they will be able to get him into remission. The last 24 hours has just been such a shock.

I hope this weekend is good for everyone and we have no additions or losses.

Hugs to all,

Shannon

Shannon :grouphug So glad to hear that Flash is doing well, but I know what you mean about things piling up. Will keep your nephew in law in my thoughts. :hope

Shannon, glad to hear Flash is doing well and is back to his former self. Sorry to hear about your niece's husbands diagnosis, that is terrible. I hope they are able to get it into remission. We'll be thinking of you.

Teri, how is Rivie today? I hope she's doing better.

Shannon, glad to hear Flash is doing well and is back to his former self. Sorry to hear about your niece's husbands diagnosis, that is terrible. I hope they are able to get it into remission. We'll be thinking of you.

ditto shannon!! hope today is going well for them in kc!! how is charlie doing?? so glad flash is himself! ms neyla - how is your day?? lets see who have i forgotten?? there are WAY too many of us and my brain isn't working great right now...

rivie woke up with her usual ROO and tail wagging - ate most of her breakfast & we are hoping yesterday was just a bad day - she is certainly entitled - we are making ourselves think with both our hearts and our heads....we have no blinders on, but she is certainly going to have some bad days. it has been SUPER hot here, so maybe that is taking a toll as well?? thank you all so much for the support - i do not know what i would do without my gt friends with strong shoulders right now!!! thank you for understanding and being there for us.

Edited by teri_d

Guest ChasesMum

morning everyone!

Teri, good to hear rivie was better this morning!

shannon, lots of prayers for good blood results so Flash can have his next treatment!

Kyle, how is Charlie?

nikki, what beautiful pictures of a beautiful girl (and wow those leaves!)

:weep: puck... another gone too soon! grrr

sorry to anyone I missed...how are you doing?

Guest azlorenz

ditto shannon!! hope today is going well for them in kc!! how is charlie doing?? so glad flash is himself! ms neyla - how is your day?? lets see who have i forgotten?? there are WAY too many of us and my brain isn't working great right now...

rivie woke up with her usual ROO and tail wagging - ate most of her breakfast & we are hoping yesterday was just a bad day - she is certainly entitled - we are making ourselves think with both our hearts and our heads....we have no blinders on, but she is certainly going to have some bad days. it has been SUPER hot here, so maybe that is taking a toll as well?? thank you all so much for the support - i do not know what i would do without my gt friends with strong shoulders right now!!! thank you for understanding and being there for us.

Glad to hear Rivie is having a good morning. I know the heat gets to Flash. It is supposed to be 112 here this weekend compared to our normal 103 - 107. Flash has to have a fan on hhim at all times now days or he puffs. I walk him at 4am so he can at least enjoy the coolest part of our day. Last we it was in the upper 80s on our walks. Anyway, I guess what I am saying is that the heat does take a terrible toll on them and I hope that is was Rivie's problem was. Hugs to all.

We had Charlie's bloodwork done today and everything looks good for his second round of Chemo Wednesday morning. His WBC is a little low but that is to be expected. He is doing very well and we just got a huge shipment of herbs, Maitake mushrooms, etc. from Mountain Rose Herbs...actually I brought it back from the US when I was on business this week as it saves shipping costs and time. It filled my roller bag, that is how big it was (30lbs!). DW is reviewing everything and we hope these will help him fight this fight. Charlie is so his normal self that nobody can touch the stuffies without him tearing them out of their mouths as you know they all belong to him. While it's not fair for Jack and Shelby, I do love to see him back doing what he always did - inside I am cheering all the way :pepper .

The other news is we bought today our GTV (Greyhound Transport Vehicle) as with Shelby, the back of our pickup is just too tight for all three. We bought a 2007 Mazda 5 and it fits our key requirements: good MPG (35-40 highway), roomy (can easily fit 3 Greys), has a fairly low entry and is good car for me to take to the airport (60 miles away). We'll have it on Tuesday evening and now know we'll be able to get to the GSNCR picnic (Greyhound Supports National Capital Region = Ottawa) on the 28th with all three.

I got to say the last two weeks have had a lot of sad news for many who were part of this journey. For those who have passed, John, Chase, Sirocco, Anubis, Puck and Jasmine, my heartfelt condolences to their families. This disease is taking too many often way before their time. :candle

Guest kiki_13

Hi all - My heart goes out to you all dealing with this rotten disease.

(I have registered on this board since my first greyhound in 2004. However, I either get erased for inactivity or I don't have the right username and or password and just end up re-registering.)

Anyway, my heartdog, Bing, an 8 year old was given the concrete diagnosis of osteosarcoma in his right rear leg - he is living with a baseball sized lump hanging from his right rear leg above the hock.

6-19-2010 - on a regular walk, Bing began to limp and had just 1 SOD while lying down, then nothing until . . .

7-29-2010 - After a struggling and difficult walk, within an hour noticed a large golf ball sized lump on the right rear leg (what I would consider the "knee" area on a gh?) yet no notable complaint, pain, or otherwise coming from Bing (stoic . . . drives you nuts, doesn't it?).

7-30-2010 - Called H Pet, D. Karla (Madison, WI area vet experienced with ghs and our GPA vet in this area) in the early am and they simply couldn't fit him in to their schedule. Called Fitchburg Vet and Bing had an xray of the leg (lump) and a needle biopsy with the results sent to Marshfield, WI. The vet's first thought was chondrasarcoma via xray yet could not determine until cytology report from Marshfield - also placed on 200 mg Tramadol in the am and pm - getting to be quite challenging to get it down him, yet are managing

8-3-2010 - Marshfield cytology results were deemed "convoluted" and Fitchburg WI Vet Clinic recommended a bone biopsy, although they were great vets I wasn't sure of chondrasarcoma appearing in an 8 year old greyhound so I declined the bone biopsy, feeling a second opinion from Dr. Karla at Healthy Pet would be the next step to take

8-10-2010 - Bing had appt with Dr. Karla and the results are grim. The right rear leg has begun to 'fray' or 'shred' and the large tumor appears to have adhered to the bone. There are 2 questionable yet reasonably sizable 'spots' in Bing's lungs. Dr. K believes it is osteosarcoma. Before the xray exams, Dr. K thought amputation would be the best route to follow yet Dave and I had already come to a decision, we feel Bing would not be a good candidate for amputation of a rear limb.

Finally, we discussed Bing's quality of life - the doctor feels Bing has only a few weeks, not months, to survive without great difficulty.

So it is with great sorrow, pain, etc, etc. that I write these words of Bing's apparent (can't quite accept yet ) impending you know . . .

A few questions for any who may be able to help - if you who have come out of the tunnel and on to the other side no matter the outcome: As the tumor progresses, do I have to worry of skin rupturing as the tumor grows - it is growing yet appears to be very slowly, I'm not sure of myself anymore in that regard as I see it everyday (every minute) and it doesn't seem much different than the first time I saw the *&^%$#$ thing? Also, if the bone is fraying or just beginning to fray, will the bone suddenly break?

He is eating and drinking, peeing and pooping, and is a happy boy - annoyed with the bump and the inability to continue his long walks yet is doing well.

Thanks for reading and any advice or experience with the process - progress would be greatly appreciated - also prayers, white light, and positive thoughts to Bing would be given greyt appreciation. My prayers are with all of you too. Much white light being heartfeltly sent!

Kiki Bindl

Madison, WI

Guest kiki_13

thx guys. i keep waffling. dh is leaving it up to me because she is mine, he will hold me either way.

I am having this same exact problem - some days I think well, this isn't good - getting up to him whimpering late at night (last night 3 am - 5 am - but I am thinking in a weird way this helping me . .. )He really likes my singing (??!!) massaging, his anxiety is high. Everyone says I'll know . . . we are planning on the vet coming to our home yet they tell me they would like a 48 hour notice - how will I know that . . . I don't know if I'll know ?? The anxiety is high around here . . .yet if I'm calm, both dogs are calm.

Edited by kiki_13

oh kiki - i am so sorry that you have come back to gt for this reasaon- if you have read through this entire thread you have found much wonderful information. i am sorry that we have one huge thing in common - i first saw rivie's lump on 6/19 as well - her's was the size of a small pecan at that time. her tumor is now approx tennis ball sized. rivie's lump is on her ribcage, so it may be different for us, but the vet has warned us of the possibility it will break through the skin - and if it does so, it is time. yes, i hear that bad breaks are also possible when the cancer is on the leg....rivie has vet checks every 2 weeks to check her rib stability, heart and lung sounds and so the vet can measure the tumor. if bing has lesions in his lungs, it is most probably the mets - when we got rivie's biopsy results back 7/14 we were immediately sent to a vet surgeon - he told us there was a 90% chance the mets had already spread if not visably on x-ray/ct scan then microscopically....so i am guessing bing has lung mets. as far as taking his pain meds, rivie takes her meds in brauschweiger, cream cheese, cojack cheese and wennies (depends on what meds shes taking at the time). i would suggest you read all the way through the thread here - there is much valuable info for you - neyla is our champion - she was diagnosed 3 months ago!!! jen gives us great info and tips - but most of all you will find understanding and support here in this thread - we are all going through the same things you are. please keep up posted and updated and if you want to cry and rant we understand - we're here and we do get it.

We had Charlie's bloodwork done today and everything looks good for his second round of Chemo Wednesday morning. His WBC is a little low but that is to be expected. He is doing very well and we just got a huge shipment of herbs, Maitake mushrooms, etc. from Mountain Rose Herbs...actually I brought it back from the US when I was on business this week as it saves shipping costs and time. It filled my roller bag, that is how big it was (30lbs!). DW is reviewing everything and we hope these will help him fight this fight. Charlie is so his normal self that nobody can touch the stuffies without him tearing them out of their mouths as you know they all belong to him. While it's not fair for Jack and Shelby, I do love to see him back doing what he always did - inside I am cheering all the way :pepper .

The other news is we bought today our GTV (Greyhound Transport Vehicle) as with Shelby, the back of our pickup is just too tight for all three. We bought a 2007 Mazda 5 and it fits our key requirements: good MPG (35-40 highway), roomy (can easily fit 3 Greys), has a fairly low entry and is good car for me to take to the airport (60 miles away). We'll have it on Tuesday evening and now know we'll be able to get to the GSNCR picnic (Greyhound Supports National Capital Region = Ottawa) on the 28th with all three.

I got to say the last two weeks have had a lot of sad news for many who were part of this journey. For those who have passed, John, Chase, Sirocco, Anubis, Puck and Jasmine, my heartfelt condolences to their families. This disease is taking too many often way before their time. :candle

way to go charlie -- we'll be praying for you wednesday - keep us posted on your next round of chemo!! and congrats on your new vehicle! and YES i agree, the last 2 weeks have been brutal - way too many - to all the families - you are so in our thoughts - i am just grateful for every day - every minute really that rivie is with us....

Guest kiki_13

I have read this entire thread and am crying again. It seems apparent to me the crap is very consistent in its symptoms, remedies, and results. If I only knew, even in the spring, what I know now, I would've done so much more of the things that he loves with him - he can't now. I thought I had come to a place of some peace - I don't think so. I'm finding myself afraid to even get in the shower! I feel frozen and unable to move if he is resting comfortably, afraid he may have to struggle to get up to follow. (He never did get over being velcro dog - he has followed me EVERYWHERE (I can't go to the bathroom without him head bucking the door). I just watch him like a crazy person it seems, fretting over every move. I sound crazy. I know.

Edited by kiki_13

I have read this entire thread and am crying again. It seems apparent to me the crap is very consistent in its symptoms, remedies, and results. If I only knew, even in the spring, what I know now, I would've done so much more of the things that he loves with him - he can't now. I thought I had come to a place of some peace - I don't think so. I'm finding myself afraid to even get in the shower! I feel frozen and unable to move if he is resting comfortably, afraid he may have to struggle to get up to follow. (He never did get over being velcro dog - he has followed me EVERYWHERE (I can't go to the bathroom without him head bucking the door). I just watch him like a crazy person it seems, fretting over every move. I sound crazy. I know.

kiki - hope you got some good tips/advice from the thread as well - yep, i understand the water works -- i cried most of the day yesterday. do not feel bad - if he is velcro dog, he LOVES you -- he does not need to 'do' anything - he just loves you!!! yep, we all know the crazy person routine as well. we are just sorry that you have to join our club - it's a club that does not want any new members. anyway - if it's any comfort we're here and we understand. please keep us posted on bing and what is going on with you - like i said everybody that's here understands -- give bing a hug and some scritches