Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Oh Teri *hugs* you gave her such a wonderful life and I know she was so very happy as a member of your family. You did so much for her and we know you loved her so very much.

run free sweet Rivie, find Chase and go for a good run together sweet girl... :cry1

Thanks for the kind words about Chase's ashes...i will get them soon. its a solid 30 minute drive to that vet so that is part of the reason I havent gotten them yet. :blush

We picked up Sirocco's today. It wasn't easy but he needed to be home. Yukon likes to sleep in the family room and Nikki likes to sleep in the great room. Not having a dog in the room with us has bothered dh more than I thought possible. So much that he only said "just not yet" when I brought up someday being adopted by a sweet sassy brood with tude. :eek

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Heehoo

I've been hit by 2 hermangio sarcomas & 1 osteo, the anger part feels a whole lot better & you do get a lot of things done. I'm here too if anyone wants to PM & rant/rave/scream/pound your keyboard. All of ya'll were here for me when I went through it.

Lots of us can help you with the different stages you'll go through with your pup.

A friend of mine who isn't on GT just found out his pup Wednesday has a tumor. They're going to do lung xrays first, then do a biopsy to make sure, but I've told him I'm here for him. Then my good friend Dee/Nygreys with her baby Abby...just found out earlier this week. Its just not fair.

:beatheart

good morning dear ones - know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. rivie fought a great fight like a true lady. i know many of you are wondering since she seemed to be doing so well - she was doing great. the vet thinks that her tumor threw a blood clot thursday ending her os fight suddenly. thank you for helping me through the last two months - each of you have become a true friend that understands - i could not have gotten through this without you all. i am rooting for each of you and will continue to follow this thread to cheer you on and be there for you as you have been there for me.

post-10630-12824009736793.jpg

Oh Teri, I'm so sorry. :grouphug Rivie was so beautiful. :heart I'm not good with words.

I wish there were something I could do or say to take your pain away. Just remember we're here for you.

Dee

your baby abby looks so much like rivie....so beautiful

Guest ChasesMum

Just popping in... hugs to you Shannon and Flash today! Hope all goes well!

teri, lots of hugs to you, sounds like the blood clot was very unexpected. I didnt know that could happen... how are you doing today?

glad Sirocco is at home, I really do need to go get Chase's. lol at the "brood with tude", hugs to you and DH!

Guest ktarantino

Hi All,

How much Tramadol do you give your non-amp/non chemo pups for pain. We were giving 25mg twice a day and then it seemed it wasn't working so we upped to 50..but wondering if even that is enough. Anyway, Freddy is doing ok..we haven't got the diarreah out of the system so that is super stressful. We are only feeding him beef and rice or chicken and rice and we stopped all the herbal meds, so he is just on Deramx and Tramadol..not sure why the diarreah hasn't went away yet. Any suggestions?

Guest ChasesMum

Diarrhea can be from stress, or even intestinal mets. Try adding some plain canned pumpkin, and if you arent using pepcid or zantac or another stomach protectant definitley start that too, 30 mins before a meal/meds, and meds ONLY with a meal or significant snack.

chase was on 50mg bid and she did not have osteo pain (60 lbs, and she was lymphoma or a form of it) so definitley you can increase. i think George was on 100mg or 150mg 3-4 times a day (at 80 lbs) right after his amp - well once we demanded more pain meds and to know the absolute max dose for his weight :blink: . that's a whole other story.

So the others should have more info, but adding in another drug like gabapentin or metacam or whatever can help. Suzanne Stack has info about what can be dosed with what... pain info

there is a wide range but definitley you can increase. I would add a 'breakthrough' dose of 25mg to start, dosing every 8 hours (like say 7am 50mg, 3pm 25mg, 10-11pm 50mg or something like that maybe?

Edited by ChasesMum

Guest Paige12

Hi All,

How much Tramadol do you give your non-amp/non chemo pups for pain. We were giving 25mg twice a day and then it seemed it wasn't working so we upped to 50..but wondering if even that is enough. Anyway, Freddy is doing ok..we haven't got the diarreah out of the system so that is super stressful. We are only feeding him beef and rice or chicken and rice and we stopped all the herbal meds, so he is just on Deramx and Tramadol..not sure why the diarreah hasn't went away yet. Any suggestions?

I would second the advice of getting him on Pepcid Ac, you can use the generic kind, 10 mg twice a day. It will help.

Hi All,

I believe you can up the Tramadol to handle the pain. Pepcid AC will hopefully help with the diarrhea. I hope you can make Freddy more comfortable.

Charlie Update - he is doing well. He runs like a demon outside and always makes sure that Jack doesn't get too far out in front. It used to be Jack would be shy to run but now with Charlie a little slower than he used to be, he is taking advantage of it! The only 'side affects' of the Chemo seems to be some foods aren't to his liking such as bananas for a little while but usually it goes away within a week. So here's a pic of Charlie what he does best.

DSC_00983467.jpg

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hi All,

The diarrhea can be caused the the Deramaxx. Do you give it with food?? Might want to try another NSAID like Metacam. The tramadol should actually help with the diarrhea being a narcotic it will slow the gi tract down. Might ask your vet about starting your hound on gabapentin too. I would increase the tramadol -- 25mgs twice is way under dosing you pup.

Oh I wanted to mention that sometimes pepcid will actually cause diarrhea-- good for the tummy but not always good for the bowel.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest ktarantino

Thank you everyone for your advice. This has been such a sad stressful time and it really helps to have support here on greytalk and to get feedback to my posts. It truly means so much to us. So thanks everyone! (And I am sure I will seek more advice as time goes on)

Kyle, :yay for Charlie doing so well with his chemo again!!

Speaking of chemo, where is our Flash update? <taps toes> :P

Neyla is doing amazingly well. She had a chiropractic adjustment at hte holistic vet's in PA on Thursday, can't remember if I posted about that or not. I was a little freaked about doing it, but she was insanely playful and energetic this weekend. I'm waiting to see how she is the next couple of days now that we're home - the extra playing could have been her being extra enthusiastic when I came home b/c she was stressed being away, but she also seemed to want to go on some longer walks and wasn't stiff or sore when she'd get out of bed, which was the main reason the vet suggested the adjustment. He also strongly recommended we use acupuncture next before we increase pain meds again so I will try that, but for now we're holding steady with the extra 50 mg of Tramadol at bedtime. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest azlorenz

Tomorrow is Flash's chemo day. Keep your fingers and everything else you can crossed that his WBC is up enough for him to have it. She had also mentioned his Creatinine was up. He's on EVO which is really high in the protein dept. - 42%, but has the lowest carbs (15% min.) I'd really like to switch him to Embark which is lower protein but unfortunately higher carb (35%) but is is touted as a Cancer Recovery diet. The what ifs and what should I does have my stomach turning flip flops.

On a happier note, Flash is finally sleeping up in our bed. DH made him a platform 34" square and about 12" high covered in carpet. Works like a charm. In fact, he's there now sleeping off his supper.

gallery_2056_3161_7429.jpg

The ramp; and

gallery_2056_3161_4540.jpg

the face.....

Edited by azlorenz

Neyla is doing amazingly well. She had a chiropractic adjustment at hte holistic vet's in PA on Thursday, can't remember if I posted about that or not. I was a little freaked about doing it, but she was insanely playful and energetic this weekend. I'm waiting to see how she is the next couple of days now that we're home - the extra playing could have been her being extra enthusiastic when I came home b/c she was stressed being away, but she also seemed to want to go on some longer walks and wasn't stiff or sore when she'd get out of bed, which was the main reason the vet suggested the adjustment. He also strongly recommended we use acupuncture next before we increase pain meds again so I will try that, but for now we're holding steady with the extra 50 mg of Tramadol at bedtime. :goodluck

Jen, great news on Neyla!!! Sounds like she is doing well! The adjustment obviously did her well.

Tomorrow is Flash's chemo day. Keep your fingers and everything else you can crossed that his WBC is up enough for him to have it. She had also mentioned his Creatinine was up. He's on EVO which is really high in the protein dept. - 42%, but has the lowest carbs (15% min.) I'd really like to switch him to Embark which is lower protein but unfortunately higher carb (35%) but is is touted as a Cancer Recovery diet. The what ifs and what should I does have my stomach turning flip flops.

On a happier note, Flash is finally sleeping up in our bed. DH made him a platform 34" square and about 12" high covered in carpet. Works like a charm. In fact, he's there now sleeping off his supper.

Shannon, we will be crossing fingers and paws for Flash's bloodwork tomorrow. I hope it goes well so he can get his second treatment under his belt. The platform is a great idea - I am sure he is very happy on the bed.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Kyle, great news for Charlie. :clap He's adorable. :wub:

Jen, wonderful news for Neyla! :thumbs-up

Shannon, Good luck on Flash's chemo today. Sending lots of prayers. :hope

Abby hasn't been outside since she had her dinner yesterday around 4:30. She's been laying on her bed & looks so very

tired. :( I can't believe how fast my sweet baby girl is declining from this dam disease. :weep

Edited by nyGreys

Guest greyt_learner

I'm finally able to stop back in here and see how everyone is doing. So sorry to those, like us, who's pups have lost the battle. But, I'm happy to see so many good reports and success stories:) Hug those hounds!

Guest ChasesMum

Jen, Chase had chiro adjustments a couple times a year, and she always felt so much better after. Granted she didnt have osteo pain, but now thinking back, George had a chiro adjustment in the 2 weeks we were trying to figure out why he was limping, and it helped him, even though he had osteo up in his shoulder joint. Glad it helped neyla too, and that she was all wing-nut this weekend!

YAY FLASH for getting up on the bed!! He looks sooooooo happy up there! Good luck on the chemo today buddy!

gentle hugs to sweet Abby, maybe if you can carry her out she might at least take a pee and feel a little better? lots of hugs to you, :cry1

Edited by ChasesMum

I hope Flash was able to have his chemo today. I had asked my oncologist at OSU what I should be feeding Joe. She responded that with osteo, any good quality food would be fine -- a high protein diet wasn't indicated. Joe is going in for chemo on Thursday. I can ask her again and try to clarify if you would like another opinion. It seems to me that I remember reading that a high protein diet is helpful for some cancers; I just can't remember which ones.

Jane

I hope Flash was able to have his chemo today. I had asked my oncologist at OSU what I should be feeding Joe. She responded that with osteo, any good quality food would be fine -- a high protein diet wasn't indicated. Joe is going in for chemo on Thursday. I can ask her again and try to clarify if you would like another opinion. It seems to me that I remember reading that a high protein diet is helpful for some cancers; I just can't remember which ones.

Jane

It's not so much the higher protein, but the reduction or ideally elimination of carbs, particularly simple carbs as numerous studies have shown that cancer feeds on carbohydrates. The higher protein is a necessary result of that, but it's the carbs that are critical. Shannon, my two cents, find a cancer diet that is lower in carbs, keep him on the EVO, or cook for him at least until you've completed chemo and perhaps feel like the cancer is gone. You could also consider artemisinin either now (depending on what chemo you're doing) or once the chemo is completed.

Hope the WBC was good and he was able to have his chemo. :goodluck

Karen, the chiro adjustment was more for possible stiffness/soreness due to her back leg than her cancer leg although I guess it was for whatever the heck it would help with. :P Point being, it's helpful to hear that it helped Chase pre-cancer. I will say that Neyla seemed less "enthusiastic" this morning and particularly last night so maybe it was partially the stress/relief of being at a strange place. Still waiting to make a final judgement.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Abby hasn't been outside since she had her dinner yesterday around 4:30. She's been laying on her bed & looks so very

tired. :( I can't believe how fast my sweet baby girl is declining from this dam disease. :weep

I am sorry that Abby seems so tired. I hate this disease so much as it is so cruel. I hope this is just a down day for Abby and she is better tomorrow. We'll be thinking of both of you.

So....Flash update??? I hope his Chemo went well!!!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Guest azlorenz

All your prayers worked!!!! 2nd chemo treatment done and off the books. All bloodwork within normal ranges and I didn't ask any specifics. Onto the 3rd in 4 weeks. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a drink now.

Flashy is resting comfortably on his favorite sofa none the worse for the wear, thank goodness. Mom on the other hand feels like she's won the lottery after running a marathon.

Edited by azlorenz

Greta news about Flash!! :thumbs-up

Abby was more mobile today. My granddaughters came home from NC around midnight last night

& Abby was so excited to see them, her butt was wagging as fast as her tail, bless her heart. :wub:

She ate a late breakfast & had some treats. :)

Hug your babies.