Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rivie is gorgeous :wub: . I'm glad she's doing well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Pardon my silly question, but common sense says diary is good for bones. Have any studies been done on feeding dogs more diary to prevent osteo? Not only do I feed my Bella yogurt as a treat...but I think it may help prevent osteo :unsure

Edited by Yamaha_gurl

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Excess calcium in the diet isn't helpful and can be harmful (altho IIRC you have to have a LOT excess). You do want there to be enough, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ChasesMum

if preventing bone cancer was as easy as feeding more dairy... :) i doubt its that easy. Vitamin D deficiency though HAS been linked to multiple illnesses, cancers etc, and dairy and vitamin D go hand in hand.

Rivie is gorgeous!!! Thanks for the pic, it always helps to see these pups who are fighting this horrid disease. They are true warriors and brave souls.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Rivie :wub:

I am worried about Neyla. She's been "off" this week. Mostly I noticed panting in the late evening, which made no sense to me b/c I give her Deramaxx at dinnertime so I would assume even though it's supposed to maintain a cont. level in her system that if anything she would get a little evening "bump" from it, so I attributed it to heat (have been keeping the AC set a little warmer). But, upon reflection, she's not been sprinting around as much in the AM or when I get home from work. But, we've also done some longer walks this week and I've been home more (the latter meaning less opportunity to do the "momma' is home from work" sprints :wub:).

But tonight she is limping. It's very slight, but even though I keep studying her and second guessing, I know it's there. She did sprint when I came home today (my longest day at work this week) - a good bit - so I am hoping it's just that on top of some longer walks, but I am worried this is the beginning of her lesion progressing more rapidly. :( :( :( We're almost at 3 months post dx, which I sort of considered the pt at which we'd know whether we just caught it early or we were one of the few super lucky ones who got a slow form. Isn't there a hand-wringing icon or something?

Anyway, I gave her a 1/2 a Tramadol extra just now and we're headed to bed so I guess I'll just see how she is in the morning. Thanks for listening to my lengthy rant about what will hopefully be nothing. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Rivie :wub:

I am worried about Neyla. She's been "off" this week. Mostly I noticed panting in the late evening, which made no sense to me b/c I give her Deramaxx at dinnertime so I would assume even though it's supposed to maintain a cont. level in her system that if anything she would get a little evening "bump" from it, so I attributed it to heat (have been keeping the AC set a little warmer). But, upon reflection, she's not been sprinting around as much in the AM or when I get home from work. But, we've also done some longer walks this week and I've been home more (the latter meaning less opportunity to do the "momma' is home from work" sprints :wub:).

But tonight she is limping. It's very slight, but even though I keep studying her and second guessing, I know it's there. She did sprint when I came home today (my longest day at work this week) - a good bit - so I am hoping it's just that on top of some longer walks, but I am worried this is the beginning of her lesion progressing more rapidly. :( :( :( We're almost at 3 months post dx, which I sort of considered the pt at which we'd know whether we just caught it early or we were one of the few super lucky ones who got a slow form. Isn't there a hand-wringing icon or something?

Anyway, I gave her a 1/2 a Tramadol extra just now and we're headed to bed so I guess I'll just see how she is in the morning. Thanks for listening to my lengthy rant about what will hopefully be nothing. :hope

neyla is in my thoughts this morning - don't you think we are all looking at them with a "different eye" than we used to have?? - my eyes and brain are on overdrive with rivie right now, i know. oh i hope that neyla has always had off days that weren't as suspect as they become right now.....but i do think we are all looking at them for any sign of pain/over-doing it/limps/panting.....this morning i see rivie dragging her back leg just a tad and i panic. we NEED to be doing that with them right now because we know what's going on with them and we need to be on top of the situations that come up - it's being responsible "parents" to them and we do it because we love them dearly. we are praying for neyla that she has just had a busy week and needs a little extra rest and a few extra pain meds here and there - maybe a normal part of it all? neyla don't scare your momma!!

carol - you are in my prayers/heart/thoughts today - my heart hurts with you. please stay around here and help us that will be facing the same thing soon - we need your support. just feel us all with you as you face today.

thank you all for admiring rivie - i got the pics loaded to the gt gallery and one of her done - now i can't figure it out again - go figure? but thank you all for your comments. she has always liked a little variety to her dinners - so i gave her a 'tuna meal' this morning instead of the ck breast - hope that is ok!!!

Edited by teri_d

Guest greyt_learner

Puck is "off" today as well - he doesn't want to eat anything, and that is difficult as that's the only way I can get pills into him. I managed to persuade him to eat enough to get his pills down this morning, but he's restless, not panting or limping, but just won't settle. I'm wondering if it's because he's not getting as long walks as he used to? (heat related too). Any good ideas on how to get him to eat? I'll let him go until dinner time, but I need to able to give him pills this evening. I panic at the thought of not being able to give him pain meds :weep

Guest ChasesMum

oh Jen, *hugs* Its really tough!! we need to be on top of it like Teri said, and yet denial is a much happier place, though not a better place, to be in. just enjoy every day. don' worry too much about tomorrow or next week or next month. its hard not to do though! :blush

hugs for Anubis, Sirocco, rivie, charlie, neyla, Flash, and all the peoples too! (and anyone I missed :oops:) Lots of prayers and love for those that might be meeting my Chasey. :weep: I hope that you all have many many more weeks and months!

Edited by ChasesMum

Teri, you have it right. I watch Neyla like a hawk now and any slight thing is a reason to worry. Karen, wasn't it you who called yourself a champion worrier in another thread? I have taken full ownership of that title since reading that. I hope you don't mind sharing. ;)

Sending good thoughts for Puck. I don't know what I would do in your case. What is Puck's normal diet? Neyla gets her meds and supplements in raw meatballs b/c she's fed a raw diet, although her arte is given in PB at night b/c of the whole iron/arte thing. If Puck is kibble fed, maybe using something like ground meat would be enough to entice him? I've also seen someone recently mention using hot dog pieces - you can cut a slit and just slide the med in. I don't know many dogs that don't love hot dogs. If none of that works, you could ask your vet about a pain patch, but if he continues to not eat obviously that's its own problem. Hoping it's just an off day for your boy. :hope

Neyla was doing pretty well this morning. She was sleeping in the bathroom when I woke up, which is weird. I keep a bed in there when there are storms (which we had yesterday, but not last night) so she can go there when she's scared. So it made me uncomfortable that she chose to sleep there. Anyway, she still seems slightly off, but she did trot around with a toy for a bit this morning. No interest in more than a potty walk. Will just keep my eye on her and keep hoping we overdid the exercise. :hope :hope :hope

oh Jen, *hugs* Its really tough!! we need to be on top of it like Teri said, and yet denial is a much happier place, though not a better place, to be in. just enjoy every day. don' worry too much about tomorrow or next week or next month. its hard not to do though! :blush

Thanks for the hugs. How are you doing?

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Puck is "off" today as well - he doesn't want to eat anything, and that is difficult as that's the only way I can get pills into him. I managed to persuade him to eat enough to get his pills down this morning, but he's restless, not panting or limping, but just won't settle. I'm wondering if it's because he's not getting as long walks as he used to? (heat related too). Any good ideas on how to get him to eat? I'll let him go until dinner time, but I need to able to give him pills this evening. I panic at the thought of not being able to give him pain meds :weep

when rivie stopped eating i started making her chicken breasts boiled in boullion that i then process in the food processor - so far her appetite is great and she is still eating this like a champ. i mix in a little (1/4 cupish) of her evo with it. somebody told me about tuna - so i bought some tuna pkts yesterday and she had that for breakfast - she ate great - haven't seen yet if it caused any "side effects" ;) rivie had always taken her pills in cheese - after the biopsy she REFUSED the cheese - i went to the store and came home with a whole grocery sack of "stuff" to try to hide pills in - the best so far is brausweiger - it is back by the sausage in the meat section - it is soft and moldable around the pills and she takes them in it fine - other things that have worked are: wennies, cream cheese, velveeta (but not any kraft products????) and co-jack cheese slices. hope this helps. teri

Hoping Neyla is just having an off moment or two.

Getting Puck to eat: Two other tricks are to -1- put some food in a people bowl, get a spoon, sit down next to him, and do "bite for me, bite for you"; -2- cook something up fresh (scrambled eggs, chicken livers, ground beef) and serve as soon as it's cool enough (I mix in an ice cube to hurry that up) -- the extended cooking smells help get their appetite going.

Thinking of Sirocco and his family especially this morning.

Guest ChasesMum

surely you can find something to entice him to eat. I cooked for Chase - hamburger and rice, liverworst sausage, i made homemade canned with chicken thighs and carrots and crockpotted it for 24 hours to soften the bones then mashed it all up and mixed that with some kibble, or get some canned food and mix that in. cat food is extra stinky and can entice them, also the science diet a/d is a good option.

ok gotta run. more later lol

Guest greyt_learner

Thanks for all the suggestions. He looks like he's hurting a bit and I've tried sardines, ham, chicken, hot dogs and eggs - nothing is working:( I'm hoping he'll be hungry by dinner.

Thanks for all the suggestions. He looks like he's hurting a bit and I've tried sardines, ham, chicken, hot dogs and eggs - nothing is working:( I'm hoping he'll be hungry by dinner.

Then I second Batmom's suggestion to cook. If you can find the old Ivy thread that Kamsmom posted in EEG, she enticed her to eat by making what they were calling Ivy goulash on the stove. I think there's a lot to be said for the smell of cooking to get their appetite going. I don't know why I can never remember to suggest that, probably b/c I don't cook my dogs' food. :P

You may also end up with something of a vicious cycle as if he's in pain, he may be less inclined to eat. So if you can get some extra meds down (may be time to up his dosage a bit?) then he may feel better and be more inclined to eat.

Just sort of thinking out loud here. I hope you find something that works for you. The pain patch may be a good option if things continue this route. :dunno

Guest roselle

Hi, I'm new to this group. My Gracie was diagnosed with osteosarcoma one week ago. Mmy husband and I have been crying all week. She is being assessed for an amputation. She sometimes wont eat so I put her pill in liverworst, just a tiny bit. I'm so sorry for all of us dealing with this nasty diseas

Gracys mom

Hi, I'm new to this group. My Gracie was diagnosed with osteosarcoma one week ago. Mmy husband and I have been crying all week. She is being assessed for an amputation. She sometimes wont eat so I put her pill in liverworst, just a tiny bit. I'm so sorry for all of us dealing with this nasty diseas

Gracys mom

i'd say welcome to our group - but we really don't want any new members - we are SO SO SORRY that you HAVE to join us - we understand here - you will find great support/help/friends/advice right here in this thread. neyla has had her dx for 3 months, so jen is our resident expert - the rest of us are all newby's - dx since the first of july. we all have a little different path within this forest - but we all have os babies. feel free to ask/rant/rave/whatever -- we all understand. so i'll just say hello gracie and roselle - we are here for you.

Guest azlorenz

Flash is home from his 10 days post-chemo treatment appointment. Bad news is he had several broken capillaries around his amp site when I came home last night. Pin head size around 10 of them. They've dispursed a bit now. Oncologist says it is more than likely low platlets. They are sending all his bloodwork out and she'll call tomorrow. Good news is he seems to be feeling fine. From what I've read about Carboplatin's side effects low platlets count can be one of them. Fooooeeeeeeeeeeey.

Guest greyt_learner

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'll be getting more yummy stuff to cook tomorrow. He ate some warm chicken and rice (what I mix with their kibble everyday anyway), and some canned green tripe, but no kibble - he seems to feel better with something in his tummy anyway. Here's hoping I an get the pills down later:)

Flash is home from his 10 days post-chemo treatment appointment. Bad news is he had several broken capillaries around his amp site when I came home last night. Pin head size around 10 of them. They've dispursed a bit now. Oncologist says it is more than likely low platlets. They are sending all his bloodwork out and she'll call tomorrow. Good news is he seems to be feeling fine. From what I've read about Carboplatin's side effects low platlets count can be one of them. Fooooeeeeeeeeeeey.

Well crap. Is that something that you can deal with and continue treatments or is that a we have to discontinue or at least change chemo meds sort of thing?

Neyla is still a tad off. She looked good when I got home, but then she proceeded to run around with a toy, which is good b/c at least she felt well enough to do it, but bad b/c of course it exacerbated any pain. So I'll just keep giving the extra 25 mg of Tramadol before bed for now and see what happens. :goodluck

I hope Neyla and Puck are just off because of the heat.

Sirocco joined Chase and the rest of our bridge babies today. We are all doing ok. Nikki has been whining and pacing a bit. Yukon claimed Sirocco's favorite bed in the family room. I miss him so much but I would not want him back in pain. It helped me a lot that Dr Sheff was there.

I've been thinking that I would like to come up with a donation in honor of the 7.5 club for the Hope for Hounds auction. I am not creative so if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon