Artemisinin Supplier & Charlie Update

Kyle, your post made me smile :) I'm so glad he's doing so well - the good appetite is awesome, and clearly he's adapting well :nod

Fingers crossed that he will be ready to come home soon, although it sounds as though he's not having too tough of a time being at the hospital either. I'm sure that is comforting for you. He'll probably start running the place pretty soon! :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so happy to hear that he is strong and healing well!! Prayers continue to be with him from here....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Praying for Charlie's quick recovery. I also wondered about my reaction when I went to pick up Ivy after the surgery but it was a non-issue when I seen her. We were both overcome by the power of mutual love rays shooting from each others eyes. I think at such times you just know that love is all that matters. Kisses to the boy!

Guest azlorenz

Kyle I am so happy for you all! Way to go Charlie, you are a real trooper.

If he's up and getting around so well hopefully he will eliminate all the excess fluids fast and be back up and running with his ball soon. I'm amazed!

Guest Smiley

I am so happy to hear how well Charlie is doing. The waiting is so stressful, but hang in there-you guys are amazing parents and will soon be taking wonderful care of him in your own house. If you need anything at all, please, please just let us know. Pete and I have been through this too many times this year, but we are always happy to lend a helping hand or listening ear if we can. Big hugs to all of you and tell Charlie he is doing great!

Greyt news! Hopefully he will be in for an uneventful recovery. :clap

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Excellent news!! I'm so glad to hear he's doing so well! Sid can jump into our car, but if he's tired he hesitates and sometimes stumbles, and it's only about 18" off the ground, if that, so the ramp was a great idea. You might find he can't handle that either (some won't, either because it's too steep or too narrow, or they don't like the surface) and if that's the case, someone (Jey??) has details of making some easy steps from foamboard.

Krissn333 - Sorry to bring the bad news to Sutra! I'm sure he can continue eating fig newtons, just not at the same time! And I don't know if they contain enough fig to make it matter, but ... well, if it were me, I'd want to be safe. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Beth,

We are going to pickup Charlie around 2pm and hopefully will have him back home safe by 4:30 or so. The vet says he continues to do well so we hope coming home only helps more.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I haven't been online much so hadn't seen that you decided to amputate. So great to hear that he's doing so well. :yay And wow, what a handsome boy he is!! I look forward to pics or even video of him romping in the yard soon enough.

As an aside, slightly unhappy to hear that Wellcare is off for 2 wks. Had no idea they did that and I am running low on Artemether. Need to check my ss to see when we'll run out (yes, I keep a spreadsheet of all of Neyla's meds and reorder dates :P).

Oh, thank goodness! I saw Charlie's topic had been locked and was afraid ... :blush

So glad to see he's OK, and that Dr Bruce is good with Dr C's protocols. :thumbs-up

Sutra takes 200mg in the morning on an empty stomach. You should give it with cheese or PB...nothing meaty as iron makes it less effective. Sutra takes his with a fig newton :)

I really hate to tell you this, but figs are quite high in iron - they contain about 50% as much as beef liver. Peanuts contain 'a significant amount' but cheese is low. Hot-dogs are actually lower in iron than figs, believe it or not!

Table of iron-rich foods

Another aside, I honestly don't think it matters at all. I would think the amt of iron in one fig newton would not be devastating to Arte's effects. The main point is don't give it with a big old meal. Of course, having said that, when it dawned on me that I was giving Neyla's nightime meds the same way as all of her others - in raw meatballs - I totally freaked out and switched immediately. :P I don't feed dairy though (the recommendation is usuallyt o give it in cottage cheese) so I am using PB, knowing that there is some iron in it. I also give mine with fish oil as there are studies that suggest it increases the arte absorption.

Anyway, all somethig of an aside, but perhaps helpful for Charlie when he's recovered from surgery.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I haven't been online much so hadn't seen that you decided to amputate. So great to hear that he's doing so well. :yay And wow, what a handsome boy he is!! I look forward to pics or even video of him romping in the yard soon enough.

As an aside, slightly unhappy to hear that Wellcare is off for 2 wks. Had no idea they did that and I am running low on Artemether. Need to check my ss to see when we'll run out (yes, I keep a spreadsheet of all of Neyla's meds and reorder dates :P).

Oh, thank goodness! I saw Charlie's topic had been locked and was afraid ... :blush

So glad to see he's OK, and that Dr Bruce is good with Dr C's protocols. :thumbs-up

Sutra takes 200mg in the morning on an empty stomach. You should give it with cheese or PB...nothing meaty as iron makes it less effective. Sutra takes his with a fig newton :)

I really hate to tell you this, but figs are quite high in iron - they contain about 50% as much as beef liver. Peanuts contain 'a significant amount' but cheese is low. Hot-dogs are actually lower in iron than figs, believe it or not!

Table of iron-rich foods

Another aside, I honestly don't think it matters at all. I would think the amt of iron in one fig newton would not be devastating to Arte's effects. The main point is don't give it with a big old meal. Of course, having said that, when it dawned on me that I was giving Neyla's nightime meds the same way as all of her others - in raw meatballs - I totally freaked out and switched immediately. :P I don't feed dairy though (the recommendation is usuallyt o give it in cottage cheese) so I am using PB, knowing that there is some iron in it. I also give mine with fish oil as there are studies that suggest it increases the arte absorption.

Anyway, all somethig of an aside, but perhaps helpful for Charlie when he's recovered from surgery.

thank you so much - those of us just starting down this path appreciate all of your tips/advice for us!

so glad charlie is getting out today - look forward to hearing about his homecoming- teri

Guest IrskasMom

I read every Update about Charlie now. I am so excited to hear he is coming home , he will do very well with an Appetite like his.You are doing everything possible for his Recovery , I wish you well :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

and some Cookies for Charlie later :dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie

Glad to hear Charlie's doing well. I know he'll be happy to be home!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks Jen - I gave it to him with whipped cream the other day and he enjoyed that :)

I do want it to be as effective as possible (if it's going to be effective), so I'm going to try with cheese or cottage cheese (I always have some of that in the fridge).

Hugs to Charlie :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--