Artemisinin Supplier & Charlie Update

Hi everyone. Would anyone know a good supplier of Artemisinin? I looked at www.hepalin.com and they are closed for two weeks.

We have not heard back from vet on Charlie yet. He went into surgery a lot later than anticipated as our vet wanted to follow OSU's protocols and was seeking a particular drug they didn't have on hand. When I called at 5:15, Charlie was in surgery at that time.

Tks.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered our artemisinin from Holley Pharmaceuticals (www.holleypharma.com). Sutra takes 200mg in the morning on an empty stomach. You should give it with cheese or PB...nothing meaty as iron makes it less effective. Sutra takes his with a fig newton :)

I believe they are having a special thru the end of the month, buy two get one free.

If you will be doing chemo with Charlie, usually they recommend you wait to start the artemisinin until AFTER chemo treatments are done.

Will be waiting for a Charlie surgery update....:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hi Kyle....we've been thinking of you all day....Thank you for the update. We continue to pray for Charlie's rapid recovery from surgery and for a long life to follow.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Thinking of you and Charlie all day and praying for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery. Hugs to all.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sorry things were held up, but great that they waited for the drug they needed. I'm guessing that was the Amicar?

Give me a call as soon as you feel up to it. We'll discuss strategy re: chemo and get things rolling at my end.

I'm home all evening and most of the weekend. If you don't reach me at home, try my cell, I'll have it with me.

Continuing prayers and sending hugs to you and Lynn.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Sorry things were held up, but great that they waited for the drug they needed. I'm guessing that was the Amicar?

Give me a call as soon as you feel up to it. We'll discuss strategy re: chemo and get things rolling at my end.

I'm home all evening and most of the weekend. If you don't reach me at home, try my cell, I'll have it with me.

Continuing prayers and sending hugs to you and Lynn.

Janet,

Yes it was Amicar. We just got off the phone with Dr. Bruce and everything went well, thankfully. Charlie is drugged up and we plan on visiting him tomorrow at some point. The only thing that the was mentioned was that following OSU's protocol was more expensive but the nice thing is Dr. Bruce is totally open to that. We have a busy day tomorrow but I will definitely give you a ring either later tomorrow or Sunday - again thank you for helping us.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Glad to hear Charlie came through the surgery with flying colors. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Furmom

Dr Bruce is young.... but skilled - and he cares about the dogs more than anything :) We think the world of him and I hope he did a great job on Charlie - he is a very skilled surgeaon :)

Guest eaglflyt

Good news that Charlie is now recovering. My prayers continue for him to have a swift recovery and tolerate his treatments well. Go Charlie! :wub:

I am happy to hear that Charlie is out of Surgery. You all have been in our thoughts and prayers. and we will continue to send many more... Please keep us posted.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Oh, thank goodness! I saw Charlie's topic had been locked and was afraid ... :blush

So glad to see he's OK, and that Dr Bruce is good with Dr C's protocols. :thumbs-up

Sutra takes 200mg in the morning on an empty stomach. You should give it with cheese or PB...nothing meaty as iron makes it less effective. Sutra takes his with a fig newton :)

I really hate to tell you this, but figs are quite high in iron - they contain about 50% as much as beef liver. Peanuts contain 'a significant amount' but cheese is low. Hot-dogs are actually lower in iron than figs, believe it or not!

Table of iron-rich foods

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Stripeyfan

Just saw the other topic (haven't been on for a day or two) and that it had been locked, was fearing the worst. So glad to hear Charlie's out of surgery, sending lots of healing thoughts his way!

I'm really sorry to hear of Charlies diagnosis but very pleased to hear that surgery is done and recovery is starting :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Great news Kyle.

Really glad to hear Dr Bruce is open to the OSU protocol. I'm not understanding the more expensive part as the OSU protocol is only one drug and they supply it. Perhaps it will make sense when they give you all the details.

Looking forward to hearing how Charlie is doing later today.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Just a quick update as we have a busy day today getting the house ready for Charlie. He likely will not be back until Monday but we want to be prepared as possible. We do have plans to bring some of Charlie's food to the vet today as we make our own and I am hoping that will entice him to eat even though I know it's always a battle after this type of surgery. Normally he's a chow hound and am hoping he stays in character as that would be one big hurdle overcome but we shall see.

I do have a question for everyone. Would you go and see your pup or would you not? The reason for my question is often the pup gets more agitated if they see you and then find out they are not coming back home with you. I know I went in yesterday morning as soon as my plane landed (&!#%$ airlines for cancelling Thursday night!) and he was getting prep'ed. He recognized me right away and was wagging his tail but just prior to me coming back, I could hear him 'singing' (he whines fairly loud) as that is his way of communicating. As soon as I left him, he started up again so I am wondering whether a visit would do more harm than good? I know the question sounds insane because all I want to do is hold him and take him home but I want to do what's right for him, not my personal self centered wants.

And again a big thank you for the well wishes from everyone. I know not everyone agrees with the path I have chosen but I felt he was a good candidate based on everything I considered and make no mistake, this is a fight that we plan to make last a long time. We might not win the fight in the end but it will go many many rounds. If he was 11 or 12 I may have decided otherwise. A special thank you goes out to those who have offered special help: foxysmom, bruciesdad, furmom and joejoesmom. Your offers of help make this community what it is, a fantastic place to be and share our love for these incredible pups.

Kyle

Guest bigorangedog

We went to visit both our guys. They were having trouble getting Whitey to eat, but he ate for us (we brought KFC!). He wasn't mobile enough to go home yet, but the staff asked us to go get more KFC so they could give it to him with his next round of meds.

With Apollo, he was so nervous there, that when the staff saw how much better he was with us, they decided to just send him home with us at that time. But Apollo was quite mobile even the day after surgery. (He had his amp on Fri afternoon and came home Sat afternoon.)