Nutritional Yeast Flakes

Guest hollypriestley

Guest hollypriestley

Good morning.

Rufus, 8-yo male greyhound has protein losing nephropathy and is on fluids every other day. He also has back problems/arthritis and out of alignment from hopping on 3 legs most of his life (left front paw was bitten off when he was 10 days of age).

I have to keep him eating -- Nutritional Yeast Flakes were recommended - I bought some and have been using 1 tsp/meal (breakfast and dinner). He is currently 80-82 lbs -- down from 105#. Is that enough yeast flakes?

Thank you

Holly

When I was giving it to Emmy, I was using a tablespoon and that sure helped increase her appetite.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest K9Cookies

I didn't really measure when we used it for Bonnie. I'd say it was definitely closer to a tablespoon with each feeding. I just grabbed some in my hand and sprinkled it over her food.

Hope that will help Rufus. :goodluck

It was a huge help for Misty too. I didn't measure, but if I were to guess, I was using a few tablespoons each meal.

Good luck, hope it helps as much as it helped us

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest hollypriestley

Good morning.

Rufus, 8-yo male greyhound has protein losing nephropathy and is on fluids every other day. He also has back problems/arthritis and out of alignment from hopping on 3 legs most of his life (left front paw was bitten off when he was 10 days of age).

I have to keep him eating -- Nutritional Yeast Flakes were recommended - I bought some and have been using 1 tsp/meal (breakfast and dinner). He is currently 80-82 lbs -- down from 105#. Is that enough yeast flakes?

Thank you

Holly

thank

Thank you all for your responses. I will increase the amount of Nutritional Yeast Flakes I will give Rufus ...I've already seen his appetite increase on just a teaspoon.

Holly

It actually boost their appetite. It's basically all the B vitamins and B vitamins boost the appetite.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

does it just entice them to eat? or does it boost their appetite? I was thinking of getting some...

It will boost their appetite. It's loaded with all the B vitamins

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• 1 month later...

I am so glad I saw this here -- thank you for the tip! Stella has been a very picky eater since she came home (and at the adoption kennel before that), and I struggle to keep weight on her. Just started giving her nutritional yeast this week, and she's eating like a champ! Hope this continues, but I'm very grateful to have learned this here! :wubsite

Guest FullMetalFrank

We give about a tablespoon a day. Mine don't really have any appetite problems; but the younger two are pretty active and I like to give them the extra bit of B vitamin support. Frank, well, he just likes it! He's almost 11, has the beginnings of back end issues (probably LS or arthritis) and anything that keeps his energy levels up for more exercise is good by me. So far he is doing great on just glucosamine, fish oil, and the yeast for supplements. With more exercise his hindquarters are getting stronger and he's much more sure-footed!

Guest greyt2love

I've been feeding it to Momma , Quinn, and Chloe, a tablespoon on the morning meal. It seems to keep Momma and Quinn happy, but picky Chloe sometimes walks away from it!