Very Food Aggressive

Guest katieandpadfoot

Guest katieandpadfoot

I have had my greyhound for almost 3 years now. He was always a little food aggressive, and he would go over and push our second greyhound out of the way to eat her food. We have tried numerous things to stop him..squirt bottle, distractions, blocking him while she finishes. I have now been bitten once and so has my husband. HELP!!! We don't know what else to do. He is such a good dog, but I'm starting to be afraid of him, and I don't want to be.

I have two that are food aggressive and I feed them both in crates.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest katieandpadfoot

Hi Jills Full House,

I did think of that also...but one other problem there...he has a really big fear of crates....I bring one into the house and he barks like crazy!!!

Guest IHeartDogs

I have two that are food aggressive and I feed them both in crates.

I agree, crate him for feedings or if you don't have a crate, feed him in a separate room with a baby gate in place.

Guest Samantha

I have had my greyhound for almost 3 years now. He was always a little food aggressive, and he would go over and push our second greyhound out of the way to eat her food. We have tried numerous things to stop him..squirt bottle, distractions, blocking him while she finishes. I have now been bitten once and so has my husband. HELP!!! We don't know what else to do. He is such a good dog, but I'm starting to be afraid of him, and I don't want to be.

Feed in seperate rooms? Even when kenneled for racing, they are usually fed one in kennel and one out, to stop any kind of food aggresive squabbles, I would presume even in the US its done the same :dunno

Feed in separate rooms. Put them in their spots before you start preparing the food.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Agree with everyone else. Feed in separate rooms. Could even just be a bathroom for one with a babygate or the door closed.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Like others said, you can feed in separate rooms, or if you want to use a crate, once he figures out that that is the only time he will be put in the crate, he'll adjust because the crate is where his food will be and that's a good thing to him.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MyHoodies

How about leaving his kennel muzzle on him when you feed him. Damion would woof his food down really fast and then run to everybody elses food bowl. So by keeping his muzzle on him it takes a bit longer for him to finish eating.

I also feed in separate rooms but put the slower eater, my Bacardi, in the gated off room. This way I can distract Damion by letting him outside or playing with until Bacardi finishes.

Hope this helps.

Feed in seperate rooms? Even when kenneled for racing, they are usually fed one in kennel and one out, to stop any kind of food aggresive squabbles, I would presume even in the US its done the same :dunno

I could tell you were English, by that! :lol Yes, it's true, here they are fed 'one in, one out' as Sid's trainer puts it, but in the US they live in individual crates - I think that's standard procedure everywhere? Someone will put me right if that's not so. Don't know about pups, maybe they share a bowl, but the adults eat alone.

I have only one suggestion that's different from the advice to feed them separately - more of a thought really. Did you bring the male in after you had the female? And did he try to boss her? If so, did you stop him, and insist on her being 'top dog' because she was there first? Sometimes it happens that way, and it doesn't usually work very well.

You see, dogs make their own order of dominance entirely separately from the people in their 'pack'. They'll treat the humans as 'alpha', but then they need an 'alpha' who is dominant among the dogs. You can't choose that for them, they'll do it for themselves. If you try to elevate a dog who is not the true alpha, it won't stop them jostling for that leadership role and it can lead to fights or arguments between the dogs. It is just possible that this is one way your boy is trying to assert his dominance over your girl.

If you watch them carefully with this in mind, and you think this might be the case, try treating him as 'leader' among the two of them and see what happens - give him his dinner, his treats, any new toys etc first, put his lead and collar on first, and let him choose a bed first, stuff like that. It might just calm things down quite a lot. And it won't hurt, since this isn't about where you come in the order of things, it's about the dogs. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Wasserbuffel

You might try hand feeding him in one room while she eats in the other. By giving from your hand (or just putting a handful at a time in his bowl if you fear a bite), you control how fast he eats and he will understand that all food comes from you and it will give your other hound as much time as she needs to finish.

You might also work on the leave it command. My girl is a complete chow hound, but will leave food unmolested if I tell her to, as long as I'm there to watch. She always wants the cats' treats and their hairball meds when I'm giving them.