Uti / Bacteria In Urine But No White Blood Cells

Guest candt

You usually do expect to see some WBC in that case. Couple easy explanations would be, her immune system hasn't gotten there yet; she's been drinking/peeing a lot or peed shortly before the sample was taken and flushed them out. Some of the vet techs on board will probably have better ideas.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest candt

the vet said it was a lot of bacteria. they are culturing it so we will know what kind next week.

and its weird because i gave them her first sample of the day, then 4 hours later they took a steril sample. she hasnt been eating/drinking more than normal. and shes actually had low grade symptoms for a while, so i dont think its new...

strange...

Edited by candt

Not too sure what you are asking ...

Usually with a "foreign invasion" (ie, the bacteria), the body mounts a defense which is when the white blood cells "attack" the bacteria. Thus, you would expect to see white blood cells in the urine sample.

But, if is early in the infection, maybe the body has not mounted a "visible" defense yet. It could also be that the bacteria are not "irritating" to the body, or the body is not perceiving it as a threat (immune issues, or that this is not the primary site of infection.

I don't see this as something that I would worry about at this time with what you have said.

edited to add .. of course the bacteria should be treated with an antibiotic - what I meant to say is that you probably do not need to worry about the lack of white blood cells in the urine unless other symptoms start to show up ..

Edited by MaryJane

Guest candt

well i guess because i dont think its early in the infection, then shouldnt it be worrying if its either immune issues or that its not the primary site?

If they're culturing, may not matter if it's not the primary site. If she has a kidney infection, for example, the antibiotics should clear that regardless of where it is.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

well i guess because i dont think its early in the infection, then shouldnt it be worrying if its either immune issues or that its not the primary site?

I wouldn't worry yet (and I am a person that tends to worry about the smallest things with her dogs...) In this case they will probably do a culture and sensitivity of the urine and place your dog on the proper antibiotics for the bacteria they are seeing in the urine - if the primary site of infection is the kidney it would be the same bacteria and thus, would take care of it. If the antibiotics don't clear up the infection (which the vet can check by doing another urinalysis) then you would need to be proactive and get your dog on another antibiotic. Note, while your dog is on an antibiotic you should supplement the food with a one or two tablespoons of yogurt daily.