Super Quick

Guest NeroAmber

Someone on here had pics of the fur they got off with a furminator brush- it looks like an amazing device- I certainly need one! Have a look on google for them, some of the pics are unbeleivable!

Guest Swifthounds

Fish oil is good. A slicker brush and a shedding comb are your friend. I got a shedding comb for $5 at Big Lots. It does as good a job as the furminator did.

Guest Energy11

I am having the same problem here, especially with Curfew. Seems, no matter how much I groom, more "under hair" comes out! blink.gif I give him fish oil in his food twice a day, as well. The others are also shedding, but not as bad. I am sure it is the HEAT.

I use a groom mitt, but might get the Furminator. If I do, will review it, and let you know.

Good Luck!

We do fish oil regularly, can't say it's been a miracle. I put off buying a furminator for a LONG time because of the cost - $60 for a comb/brush?? Woa! But anyway, caved and picked one up a month ago. The hair it removes is incredible. Dogs, cats, whatever - it does an amazing job and you can do it in the house because it traps the fur while brushing, unlike the nubby gloves and whatnot.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Samantha

I have a furminator here and have been using it everyday for 8 weeks now...still getting the same amount of hair I did on day one with it. I have have extremely furry girl here but she is looking a lot better. I think because here in England we have had pretty warm weather for us it isnt helping with the shedding situation. Try Ebay for a furminator :) x

Guest HoundyGirl

I use a furminator on Gus, my greyhound. I do it once a week, but it seems like I could do it everyday with the way he's blowing his coat. I've also got him on fish oil. He's got an exceptionally fluffy coat, so I just figure hair will be a part of my life from now on. My coonhound, Daisy, barely sheds. She's got a real short, flat coat. I tried the furminator on her once and it was clear she doesn't need it.

Guest IrskasMom

I bought a Furminator for my Kitty ,works very well . Works on Morty to , except he is so bony ,you have to be very Careful since that is a Metal Comb and right now I have to do it every Day.

Guest kydie

I brush, brush, brush here, :blink: and I have an 1/2 chow so I know your pain, :riphair when all else fails, :french I take them to our groomer, she puts them in a whirlpool and it lifts all the dead hair out, good luck

I'm thinking we all just keep brushing.

I was thinking this morning as I was yet again brushing, that this is the first year I've gotten so much hair from Kare Bear! She started shedding in the spring and hasn't stopped yet. I think our pups knew way before we did it was going to be an unusually hot summer this year. We got up this morning and the humidity was 92%...with no rain even! It has been brutal the past few weeks.

Guest TeddysMom

I picked up a shedding blade at the feed store last year and I have to say it gets twice as much hair as anyother brush I have every had and it was inexpensive. I got enough hair off one of my little pugs to make two new dogs. :lol It is amazing to me that after loosing all the hair the GHs do that they don't look bald.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Remarkable results with the Furminator (actually ours is a cheaper knock-off by Bamboo, works fine.) You do need to use it with caution. It is basically one side of a clipper blade, and actually quite sharp. Always make sure you are dragging it perpendicular to the fur, no crosswise or slicing type motions; and be careful over bony areas. We have never had any problems and the hounds seem to like the way it feels as it gets all that dead undercoat out.

Fish oil really helps with dry skin; don't think it has any effect on shedding.

I use a rubber curry comb I had left over from owning horses when I was [much] younger, and that works great.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Whatever blade you use, avoid taking it down the greyhound's spine. Instead, stretch/roll the skin off to one side or the other with one hand, brush with the other.

Also watch out for skin irritation. Brushing too much in one session--or too hard--can irritate your dog's skin.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Furminator works very well for many but is too much for my girl. I use a ZoomGroom, then soft body brush, then microfiber cloth. That combo works well for me but the groomer, human one to whom I give money, works even better. :)

Guest Swifthounds

I use a rubber curry comb I had left over from owning horses when I was [much] younger, and that works great.

All of my experience with fish oil demonstrates that it does. Omega 3s promote healthy skin, coat, and nails and also helps relieve joint inflammation. The catch is that you have to be giving a theraputic dose, not a maintenance dose.

I also use a curry comb, works great also use a horse face brush after currying. My two's shedding is terrible this year. I got two huge piles of fur off them yesterday, and what does Abel do.... He goes outside and lays in his pile of hair, silly boy lol.gif

Edited by grey8greys
gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg