Guarding The Bedroom Door

Macy likes to place security guard to my bedroom door. This is my other greyhound's place where she lays. Macy is the new girl. She lays on her bed on in front of the door and growls when my other two try to enter. I have been giving her a "NO" command or she has gotten squirted with a water bottle for this. She hasn't lunged or nipped. Its more like she is laying there and "sounding" like she thinks she is boss. Should I evict her from the room until she stops the growling?

Guest MyBoys

I had a grey that would lay between my dinning room and family room doorway almost daring my other 2 greys to step over him, if they got close he would give them a low growl, so I stepped in and took over the doorway. When he would lay down there I simply moved closer and closer to him until he got up and moved. Everytime he laid there I moved him just by using my body, I never touched his collar and I never said a word, I just became the keeper of the doorway. He finally found a new spot to lay and from then on there were no more guarding issues. I would not allow her to have her bed so close to the doorway, most likely she is guarding her bed space.

Move her bed to another location and don't allow her to lay there and guard that spot. If one of mine is the way and someone can't get around I make them get up and move to allow free access to everyone. Sounds like Macy's just trying to be a bit bossy. Might not be a bad idea to not allow anyone to lay in the door way. Just move both beds out of the way.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Move her bed to another location and don't allow her to lay there and guard that spot. If one of mine is the way and someone can't get around I make them get up and move to allow free access to everyone. Sounds like Macy's just trying to be a bit bossy. Might not be a bad idea to not allow anyone to lay in the door way. Just move both beds out of the way.

I moved her bed out of the bedroom and she just continues to lay in the hallway so that I and the dogs have to step over her. Were going to have to work on this over the weekend.

I wouldn't step over her. It's allowing her to dictate the rules. If you want her to move and she doesn't, maybe try shuffling your feet along the ground and walk into her and keep moving forward until she gets up and moves. When you bump her, say "move" or whatever command you want to give to it. Since you're bugging her, she'll most likely get up and move pretty quickly and give you a good stink eye in the process :)

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album