Foot Injury

Guest Frankendog

Guest Frankendog

Frankie has cut his rear foot,I can't tell exactly where but maybe between the toes. My daughter let him in from outside and 10 minutes later after he had wandered around the living room floor and up and down the hall (I was in my studio with the door closed) my daughter came running in and said there was blood everywhere and Frankie's foot was bleeding. Of course the living room carpet looks like a murder scene but that is last on my list to deal with. He is pretty sensitive about his feet but he let me soak it in peroxide (to disinfect) and then dip it in cornstartch to act as a bandage and compress to stop the bleeding.

That is the limit of my first aid and of course the vets is closed till tomorrow. Can I do any more???

Help please!

Guest Energy11

You've done EVERYTHING PERFECTLY!

The peroxide was Ok to disinfect with, but no more, as it will open up any clots that form. Keep the pressure bandage on the cut, until it stops bleeding. Once it has, you can put a toddler sock on the foot to keep it clean.

I'd keep an eye on it, and if it swells, becomes read or pus-filled, then, it is obviously infected, and the vet can give you antibiotics.

If you can't get the bleeding to stop, obviously, the vet needs to see it. Oh... the peroxide should get the blood out of your carpet!

Good Luck!

Once the bleeding is stopped you can get a good look, if he's split the webbing between his toes and it's bad enough, they may stitch it, if not, clean it good, put some neosporin on it and wrap it with vet wrap to keep it clean for a few days. It should heal up just fine.

Dee and I were posting at the same time.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Once the bleeding is stopped you can get a good look, if he's split the webbing between his toes and it's bad enough, they may stitch it, if not, clean it good, put some neosporin on it and wrap it with vet wrap to keep it clean for a few days. It should heal up just fine.

Dee and I were posting at the same time.lol.gif

Well, sure! Great minds think a like! lol.gifeek.gif

Guest Frankendog

I love you guys!! Thank you. I haven't been able to wrap it up yet but it isn't bleeding and he is now licking it...is that ok?

I can't wrap it until my husband gets home in an hour, as I said Frankie does NOT like having his paws handled and I'm a little afraid to try it on my own.

Can you try muzzling him? Put some dabs of peanut butter in the muzzle to distract him.

When Thane got a cut right at the center of where all the toes meet, it bled really bad. The e-vet tried to stitch but those just made it tear. The next day my regular vet was able to glue it.

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

I love you guys!! Thank you. I haven't been able to wrap it up yet but it isn't bleeding and he is now licking it...is that ok?

I can't wrap it until my husband gets home in an hour, as I said Frankie does NOT like having his paws handled and I'm a little afraid to try it on my own.

I know the feeling (not liking having the feet touched. Glad the bleeding has stopped :-) You could muzzle and treat, or wait. Up to you. Just be sure it is clean, and you put the antibacterial ointment on it, and wrap. Toddler socks RULE! You might want hubby to get some on his way home. Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

If he really is resistant to you touching his feet, give him a kong to keep him busy until DH gets home to help.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Just an FYI from my first aid presentation at Mt. Hounds.

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own.

If he really is resistant to you touching his feet, give him a kong to keep him busy until DH gets home to help.

Again, with the great minds! We use a spoonfull of packed peanut butter when we cut Goldie's nails. Oh, ... we muzzle her too! wink.gif

Guest Frankendog

Ok dh isn't home yet so I smeared peanut butter on his gums and was able to squirt a good dose of bactine on it and slip on one of the booties we bought for him last winter (that went back in the drawer when he told us he'd rather not wear them... :eek

I also had bought toddler socks for him last year but they didn't go over well so I gave them to a human toddler...go figure...

Also, keep in mind there are a lot of capilaries in their feet, and so even fairly small cuts can bleed like crazy, so it's probably not as bad as it seems.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Frankendog

I think he'll be ok Lisa. I'll likely sleep on the couch tonight so I can keep him from wandering around the house abd then I'll get him to my vet tomorrow morning. I'll keep you updated.

Guest 4dogscrazy

I saw on your other thread he's been digging...do you think he dug up something sharp and that's what cut his foot? Any time I dig in my yard I find bits of buried garbage, including broken glass. It's one of my fears when they start digging. Good luck to you tomorrow!

ETA oops just saw it's a back foot, still there might be something sharp in the yard.

Edited by 4dogscrazy

Guest Frankendog

Thanks for asking!

I got to the vets first thing and when the on call vet walked in (tall, good looking...makes the visit somewhat more tolerable :lol ) we both laughed as he was the one that dealt with Frankie's torn dewclaw back in the fall (the only 2 times we've been in other than initial checkup).

I told him that someone posted about the most common injury to greyhounds being the foot pads and dew claws and he said well we've got that all covered now! (or something like that).

Anyway, he had a hard time finding the cut with all Frankie's antics, many versions of the GSOD...more sounds than I've ever heard Frankie make in the whole time I've had him. He finally had to have a vet tech come in and put a tiny muzzle over the end of his snout and hold him while the vet tried to look at his foot. It was a cut along the side of one of the toes. He said it looked clean and I did a good job (he called me a conscientious owner...blush :colgate ) and he was just going to leave it. So I'm just to monitor it and keep it clean. Cheapest vet visit I've ever had...

Frankie is resting at my feet in the air conditioned studio now.

Thanks for all your support!

Ah, nothing like good news! If he's really a weasel about his feet, might be worth working on that with a NON-sore foot and his basket muzzle. You can stuff all sorts of treats in thru the muzzle holes altho I prefer those fake bacon strips -- fondle foot, treat, fondle foot, treat, fondle foot, treat, pick up foot, treat, "Good boy!" every time, etc. Nice excuse for treats five minutes every evening. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sheila

and now that drama is over you can use the peroxide to clean up the carpet. I once had a dog cut a pad and left my living room looking like a bloodbath. I poured peroxide straight onto the spots and let it sit for a cpl minutes and then used my carpet steamer to suck it out. I have beige carpet and you'd never know now that it was once polka dotted.

Guest Frankendog
Ah, nothing like good news! If he's really a weasel about his feet, might be worth working on that with a NON-sore foot and his basket muzzle. You can stuff all sorts of treats in thru the muzzle holes altho I prefer those fake bacon strips -- fondle foot, treat, fondle foot, treat, fondle foot, treat, pick up foot, treat, "Good boy!" every time, etc. Nice excuse for treats five minutes every evening.

You know I have been doing that exactly for the past few months. Not with treats but every chance I get, at least when he is lying down I make sure to handle his feet. I guess I should have been doing it while he was standing... :blush

Now to peroxide the carpet...

Guest scfilby

If he starts licking and worrying at the cut once it starts to heal over, use a toddler sock and some self adhesive tape to cover the foot..