Frosty Ate Bones

I was picking meat off a chicken leg/thigh quarter when I had to make a very quick trip upstairs. Frosty got in the sink while I was gone - less than a minute - and ate the bones and skin. I can't believe she chewed much because I was gone for such a short time. I gave her a couple slices of bread. Is there anything else I should do or watch out for? I don't really think I should take her to the e-vet because she doesn't seem sick or uncomfortable.

Guest Energy11

The bread was a good move.

Watch for vomiting and trying to poop without success, and of course, any blood in either.

Good Luck, and sending good thoughts from here!

Guest ChasesMum

Don't ya love it? "gee thanks mom for the yummy bones AND a bread chaser!! " :rolleyes:

probably you won't notice anything out of the ordinary.

When Chase blocked, she couldnt even drink water without vommitting it right back up. if that happens, evet NOW.

Yep, I'd have given bread, too - in fact, I have done.

You have most of the signs to watch for, the other being abdominal pain, which you might get with splinters. Severe abdominal pain usually causes the dog to stand with his tummy tucked up and his back a little arched, head low - this is a bad sign, and if ignored, could end with perforation of the intestines.

Most likely, as Chase's Mom says, you won't notice anything out of the ordinary! Mine have managed to sneak cooked poultry bones several times over the years (thank you, kids of the local school!) and they've been fine. Fingers crossed. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest littlesyd85

I would have made her vomit first and then given her bread. Especially since you saw her eat the bones. Just a cap full of peroxide does the trick.

My parents doberman eats EVERYTHING so this was common practice growing up and every time I am home visiting...

Yep - bread soaked in oil following ingestion. It's happened accidentally in our house before as well and thankfully all was well. With a previous GSD mix, however, a steak bone under the same circumstances didn't make it out, lodged in the lower intestines. The signs were obvious (pain, vomiting, not eating, etc) and a trip to the evet was in order. Recovery was uneventful. You should be ok, but keep watching closely for the next 24-30 hours or so.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest 4dogscrazy

I gave mine smoked bones once, they were a gift...and I knew better, but still thought they might be okay since they were smoked...NOT. The lab is the one who got sick, and there was no way to miss the signs. Several rugs had to be thrown away, both puked and pooped blood in the middle of the night. I called the vet, she told me to feed her mashed potatoes for 24 hours. Worked like a charm, bound her up right away which gave her body time to digest everything (I'm guessing). You won't be able to miss the signs if they don't sit well with her. There were shards in her "samples".

The bread was a fantastic idea, I'm thinking it did the same thing for you. I would never self-diagnose though, I always call the vet first. If she shows any signs of illness, call them right away. I was shocked that she told me to do that over the phone, she's a "bring her in" kinda woman. Good luck, I'm sure she will be fine...will send white light your way for an uneventful evening!

Guest eaglflyt

I agree with the bread. I'm glad you didn't make her vomit. Wretching and vomiting with potentially sharp objects is not good for keeping the bones from puncturing either the esophagus or stomach. I hope the bones pass through gently and quickly. If there's any sign of discomfort, belly being sucked up, standing stiff, elevated temp., straining to have a stool, non-productive or painful vomiting or anything with blood go straight to the vet.

Hugs and prayers that everything is fine and goes through smoothly.

Edited by eaglflyt

Yep, NO making them vomit with bones, or any other sharp object. As Eaglflyt said, it gives them a chance to puncture stomach or oesophagus as the dog retches, and/or brings them up. :nod

It's a good idea with most things, but not with anything sharp. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Energy11

The night was uneventful. She hasn't pooped yet but I'll be watching.

I thought that making her vomit wasn't a good idea. If the bones are sharp, maybe the sharp ends will get digested a bit before they come out.

Rule of thumb on making them vomit. It is a "no no" if the object swallowed is sharp, acid or alkaline. With acid and alkaline, use milk to neutralize.

Hoping everything comes out OK, literallty!

Hopefully everything will pass through without issue. You may see some diarrhea just from the fatty cooked chicken skin and a couple of drops of blood is normal from an irritated digestive tract but any more than that could be a sign of trouble. Crossing fingers!

Agree with should probably be OK. Opie ate a whole turkey carcass from the garbage (He NEVER goes in the garbage) when we were out of the room last Thanksgiving. We immediately gave him the rest of the rolls from the dinner! LOL. He was fine, did have some of the big D for a few days, but nothing after that. Lets us know if everything "comes out" OK!!

Edited by tydyelady

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Our bridge boy Cody ate about 2 lb. of cooked soup bones once, about 7 years ago - I was a new greyhound mom and freaked out, came on GT and was advised to give bread, watch for symptoms, and wait, just like you've been advised. He enjoyed the bread, slept happily through the night while I stayed up and watched him, very nervous. The only sign I ever saw was some chalky white poop the next day! Hope you get the same result.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest ChasesMum

re: ingestion of sharp items, Chase ate 2 raw teriyaki beef kabobs, and some of the bamboo skewers last summer. She too got a bread chaser, and we waited. She did vomit of her own accord later that evening and some small peices came out, and 24 hours of no poop later she laid her own 4" skewered poop kabob! :lol some of my friends were figuring the pound of raw beef would be a major issue. umm... no, no worries on that front, thanks! ;)

aaah houndies.

glad to see all was normal in the nether-regions!

Edited by ChasesMum

Guest 4dogscrazy

Glad to hear she's okay! I really think if she were going to be sick or hurt from it, you would know by now. Fancy was sick that night, I gave them the bones in the afternoon. (which they l.o.v.e.d of course) I think enough time has gone by that they are probably digested pretty well. Keep an eye on her of course, but I'm thinking you are probably going to be okay! So glad your baby didn't get sick!

If it was raw chicken i wouldn't worry about it

rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Guest ChasesMum

If it was raw chicken i wouldn't worry about it

rich

I assumed it was cooked becuase I wouldnt pick the meat off a raw bone, only a cooked one - I would phrase it as deboning if it was raw. semantics I know :lol . but you're right... raw chicken bones, not a worry over here either. chase loves it when I get the bone in-skin on chicken breasts and she gets the backbones.

Yep. It was cooked. I also wouldn't worry about raw chicken bones. Both my girls can pulverize raw bones in a couple of minutes.

It has been 2 days now so it looks like we don't have a problem here. Maybe I can start to breathe by Monday. Guess I'll have to take any bones to the bathroom with me from now on. That little girl is such an opportunist. She'll snatch anything remotely within her reach. She climbs in her raised water bowl to get on the table to get bread. My other 2 will only take stuff if it is at eye level or below.