Yikes! Whats Going On!

Guest Samantha

Guest Samantha

Ive noticed afew things in the past week Maddison is doing differently.

1) She wants to play a lot more, and has been pulling her toys out of her box a lot, initiating play with me etc (I put this down to weight loss increasing her fitness?)

2) She is like velcro to me, following me, and obsessivley needing me to pet her.

3) Licking! what the hell is this about!? and i mean licking me..legs, arms, u name it.

4) Air humping. Its quite funny, but not if u get what i mean haha.

Today Im standing in my front garden with Maddison on her leash, talking to a neighbour, Maddison is leaning on me..then she licks my legs say twice and then the air humping. OMG i didnt know wether to laugh or not, the neighbour looked horrified i made a excuse and went inside in hysterics!!

She has never done any of these things in the past, anyone got any ideas? Im still crying laughing at my poor neighbours face hahaha.

If you need anymore information that will help answer my queries just ask!

Well, she's adjusting to being in a home and having her own person. Sounds perfectly normal to me, yes, including the air humping.:lol That's not really a sexual thing, it's more of a dominance issue. I'd watch now that she's getting used to living in a home, she may try to boss you around a little. She's getting more confident and may start showing it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

What Judy said sounds about right, I would recommend reading "On the other end of the leash", in the meantime, if you want to play with her, by all means do, if you want to pet her, go ahead, but don't get bullied into it. It's good to sometimes say no and send her to her bed, the following around like velcro is a new dog thing, and I would close doors on her, not all the time, but when you don't want her following you, it's fine not to allow it. Taking care of the first three things should eventually do away with the air humping, again, don't allow it, you are the one who knows how to operate the can opener. It can be a bit of an eye opener to a new dog that there are rules, but they learn them pretty fast, it's good to set some limits.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Samantha

Well, she's adjusting to being in a home and having her own person. Sounds perfectly normal to me, yes, including the air humping.:lol That's not really a sexual thing, it's more of a dominance issue. I'd watch now that she's getting used to living in a home, she may try to boss you around a little. She's getting more confident and may start showing it.

Ahh dominance, I will watch out for her getting bossy, funny thing is she has always been velcro'd to my little boy,and still is unless he is at school or out doing activities. She is not like this with him. I must look like a push over to her :lol:

I'd keep a close eye on her with your son also. She may decide he's little enough to push around.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest scfilby

Typical "Bossy" getting comfortable in the home behavior is getting snarky over beds, couches, etc. It is not uncommon for these puts to decide they own comfy spots and not want to share once comfortable in a home. Make sure your boy is always careful approaching your pup if she is allowed on the furniture. In fact, teach down and make sure your hound nows it is a privilege and not a right to be on human spaces..

Guest Samantha

Typical "Bossy" getting comfortable in the home behavior is getting snarky over beds, couches, etc. It is not uncommon for these puts to decide they own comfy spots and not want to share once comfortable in a home. Make sure your boy is always careful approaching your pup if she is allowed on the furniture. In fact, teach down and make sure your hound nows it is a privilege and not a right to be on human spaces..

I think im pretty lucky in that I chose not to have Maddison on the couch we use, she has her own and never ever approaches the couch we sit on, also she doesn't do stairs so we don't have the worry of her getting snarky over being on the bed. She's started 'talking' to us aswell and I have no idea what she wants apart from she wants lots of cuddles, she's a very cuddly dog, its almost like if we are in the same room she wants me or my son to be even just touching her in some way. She's left for 3-4 hours and is fine so I dont think its anything to do with seperation or anything. Her personailty has really came out the past few weeks, in a nice way, approaching us a lot more for petting, and playing a lot more. Everything seems to have co-encided with her loosing weight and generally being able to be a lot more active.

She has no space aggression or sleep aggression at all, since day 1 she has always loved to lie next to my son on the floor and I often find them snoozing, but I will keep a close watch on whats going on until I get used to her being abit more confident.

I felt awful earlier when she kept coming to me and just standing there looking at me and nudging me waiting to be petted and I kept saying no and giving her alittle push because she was so in my face. I got the stare of death :lol: like " hey lady! arent you meant to give ear scritches and chin rubs when i do thi?" :lol:

... I have no idea what she wants apart from she wants lots of cuddles, she's a very cuddly dog, its almost like if we are in the same room she wants me or my son to be even just touching her in some way. She's left for 3-4 hours and is fine so I dont think its anything to do with seperation or anything. Her personailty has really came out the past few weeks, in a nice way, approaching us a lot more for petting, and playing a lot more. Everything seems to have co-encided with her loosing weight and generally being able to be a lot more active.

Gee, I hate to toss the D word around & I am certainly not a behavior expert but what you are describing sounds like a dominant dog. I do not mean dominant in a bad way. This doesn't mean she will be taking over the house or acting aggressive. Dominant dogs can be wonderful companions, loving, affectionate, but with self confidence. If this is the emergence of her bossy side I'd say as long as she has rules & consistent training all will be great. It sounds like, with the exception of air humping & too much insistence on petting, she is becoming even more of a delight. Go Maddison!

I felt awful earlier when she kept coming to me and just standing there looking at me and nudging me waiting to be petted and I kept saying no and giving her alittle push because she was so in my face. I got the stare of death :lol: like " hey lady! arent you meant to give ear scritches and chin rubs when i do thi?" :lol:

:lol "What the heck is wrong with this lady today? Has she lost her mind? Does she have a fever? Is there a full moon?" Poor little, Maddie. :P Things won't always go your way, pretty girl.

Guest rachelee

I'm glad I found this topic because I'm having similar concerns with Bistro. We've had him over a year now, but I feel like his behavior is changing. He's barking A LOT more than he used to and he seems to be more demanding. He's much more picky about his food and is 'grazing' a lot more.

He sleeps on the landing of our stairs, and I feel like he's thinking of that as his 'territory.'

My biggest concern is the cat, Riley. They have always tolerated each other fine. Riley seemed a little dominant over Bistro. Bistro has started growling and barking at Riley more and more. I'm not sure how often Riley swipes at Bistro, but we try to keep an eye on them that they don't bother each other and it worked for a year. But now when Riley goes up the stairs and Bistro is on the landing, Bistro really gets upset. Last night for the first time, Bistro growled and lunged at Riley. He got a tiny bit of Riley's ear.

I know he would have really hurt Riley if he had wanted to. It was a warning. But the cat should be able to go up and down the stairs when he wants to.

One factor is my son has become mobile and we have gates up which means Bistro can't come for a head rub whenever he wants, and he may be getting a little less attention. We still play in the yard and he still gets his two walks a day.

It just seems like he has ever *more* energy than he used to. He is a REALLY energetic greyhound.

I'm concerned that he is starting to boss us around a bit. I've tried really hard to make sure that was never the case, but I'm becoming a little worried. How do you make sure he's not the boss?

Thanks for any help.