Rainey - If You Could Spare Another Prayer...

We came home yesterday (after only being gone 7 hours, 1 hour more than her usual 6 hour “limit”) to her having eaten/destroyed the entire side of the loveseat in the basement. We didn’t know last night if she had eaten any of it – mostly foam rubber stuff, and some batting and leather—she seemed ok all night -- but threw up her ½ cup breakfast at 6:55am and at 12:30pm she threw up 2 more times, with TONS of the foam rubber in it. I met him at the Evet around 1pm, and she is there still. They took an Xray and made her throw up again (more came up) but there is something in her intestines now, which doesn’t looked blocked yet (thank God) but they are giving her fluids and stuff to try to get her to pass it. If it was just that batting stuff we would have thought she’d pass it ok at home, but the foam rubber is really bad stuff. If she shows signs of blockage they will have to operate…and she is almost 10, I don’t have to tell you how scared we are :(

We were hoping it would clear out and we could take her home but I just called and nothing yet (although they LOVE her, what a surprise) so I’m so afraid she will have to stay overnight :(

If you could send her a good thought or prayer that this all passes ok and she’s ok, we sure would appreciate it. I’m sorry I have to ask for prayers for her again :(

Kim and Bruce and a very lonely Nubers

*** I PRAY she makes it okay through this -- and *WHEN* she does, I will need some help with her, we are having a lot of issues with her lately that I could use your advice on :(

Edited to add: I just realized this is like the 3rd or 4th time I've had to ask for prayers ,I feel like the worst greyhound parent in the world...I don't know what to do :( this time she ate the side of the couch, it's not like we are leaving things out for her to do this to! :( Please don't think I"m a bad mom :(

**** update 7am 7/12

just spoke to the nurse (been checking all night) -- she passed a small amount of poop yesterday evening, with no foam or anything in it, but nothing more, and is now tender in the abdomen area. The doctor will examine her around 7 or 8 and call me then to let me know what the next step is :( The fact that it's now tender has me worried, it wasn't yesterday :(

thanks for the prayers, guys :( I'm beside myself with worry!! :( My poor little girl!!

update 9am 7/12

Just talked to the doctor, she’s doing ok (and is charming EVERYONE there, dr. said Rainey is her new favorite greyhound :)) but they took another x-ray and there is still a ton of crap in her intestines :( she recommended leaving her there so they can continue to keep her very hydrated so she can hopefully pass it, or at least get it to the colon. Her fear was that if we took her home and she got even a little dehydrated it would be a problem. We are opting to keep her there – she said to call around 6pm and hopefully! She can go home then, but most likely will need to stay overnight and maybe longer. :(

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Rainey looks like my Goldie!

I am sooo sorry you are all going through this, and I pray Rainey will be OK, and everything will pass well.

Sending her lots of love, prayers and many hugs!

Sending good thoughts to you and Rainey. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

You're not a bad mom -- rather the opposite. Sending hugs for you and Bruce and lots of prayers for your little girl.Please keep us posted as best you can.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hoping for a good news update on your girl. :grouphug

To Miss Rainey: couches are for napping not nibbling. Feel better soon sweetie.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hon, you're not a bad mom. But can she not wear a muzzle? With a poop guard in it if necessary?

My two don't like the muzzles, but I will not leave them at home without muzzling them both. (Jacey could be kenneled, but Sam gets destructive if confined.) Sam wears a poop guard in his muzzle, since otherwise he meets me at the door with bits of cellophane or other trash sticking out of the holes in the basket. Jacey just wears the basket part of the muzzle--no guard.

They get a muzzle when it's time for me to leave for work (or run other errands). Then they do down. They each get one dog biscuit--broken into two pieces so they think they're getting more to eat. Jacey can pick up the crumbs of her biscuit if she licks the carpet through the holes in the muzzle. Sam's cookie gets dropped inside the cup of the poop guard. I don't actually leave the house until both dogs have finished their cookies, so that there's no danger of a dog choking or of the pair of them getting into a scrap over a spilled chunk of cookie.

Both dogs drink from their water bowls without a problem while they're muzzled.

Best wishes to Rainey...and to all of you.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Lillysmom

Kim, anyone who could ever think that you're a bad mom certainly doesn't know you or your dedication and love to your fur babies. You are a wonderful mom!

You guys will be in our thoughts and prayers. Lots of love and hugs from our house to yours!

Bad MOM?? NOT!

Maybe we should talk about my dining room chairs and my kitchen counter top! Neither of which have been repaired or replaced. Hounds will be hounds and there is always a solution. With the creative talents of GT an answer will come. In the mean time, prayers are winging in from Miami and hopes for a really quick recovery, and please pardon the pun - This too, shall pass.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Awe, poor houndie, hope it all comes through without a problem. :(

I will second the muzzle thing. I have two that would probably eat the house up, so they get muzzled, and both of them have stool guards on their muzzles. I don't muzzle the poodle and my blind hound doesn't get muzzled either, he's not destructive at all.

If a muzzle isn't an option, then you might have to crate her or use an ex-pen to keep her contained and safe and your house safe as well. Though the things in the house are replaceable. (goodness knows I've replaced couches and tables and such many times!)

Good luck!

My goodness, prayers for your sweet baby. You're not a bad mom at all. My Arrow has to wear a muzzle with a stool guard when I'm not home because he'd eat everything in the house also. Some dogs are just like that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest K9_Lady

You are a fabulous Mom! Rainey is a strong girl and I am sure that she will get thru this! Many healing thoughts being sent and hugs for all! :grouphug

Amy said to tell Rainey to get better soon so they could could enter the triplets contest ;-)

I hope she doesn't need surgery, and is soon home and feeling great. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest 4dogscrazy

We don't think you are a bad mom, just trying to cope as we all have to do from time to time. I feel your pain, I am assuming here that she is suffering from separation anxiety, but I didn't read your other posts. I have one of them too, she has some major damage done to my wall/trim. She is also muzzled when I leave, I fear the same thing would happen with her too. Good luck and white light your way from us!