Broken Blood Vessel In Eye

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

We just back from vacation and picked up Sprinkles from the "doggie spa" only to discover that he seems to have a broken blood vessel in his eye. The people at the kennel told us about it and said that they only noticed it a day ago. (He'd been there 7 days.) He seems fine and not bothered by it at all. Should I just let it heal, or is this something to see the vet over?

Guest 4dogscrazy

You could always call your vet and see what they say. But having broken blood vessels in MY eyes in the past, I can say there is really not much you can do to heal them, just let them be. The eye is an amazing organ and can heal itself quickly. I learned that when my little girl got hit in the eye with a rubber band (lesson learned: duck!!) and it scratched her cornea. The eye doctor wanted her back the next day! And said she would be almost healed in a day!

Maybe someone on here with more eye experience can tell you how that might have happened...but I'd be wondering about that.

All I can contribute is that eyes heal REALLY fast. I gouged hubby's once with my thumbnail (ouch!) and in a day, he was pretty much fine. I had laser eye surgery and within two days, I was good to go. I would call the vet just in case and I would watch it and if it worsens in any way at all, I'd be straight to the vet.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

You could wait a day or two and see if you see any improvement. If you don't then I'd go to the vet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest scfilby

If it's a broken blood vessel and not a scratch, this is likely a result of either excess pressure or blunt force. Pressure can be caused in a number of ways such as choking, straining, harsh coughing, etc. A dog straining hard on a leash for example could cause this, throwing up, or hacking up food. He could have just bumped it into another dog, a wall, etc.

I have burst blood vessels in my eyes in the past. Once when I had food poisoning, and I was once accidentally hit in the eye with a bottle. Eyes heal quick, but pooled blood from a burst vessel can take a while to clear.

It is rare, but vessels can just burst on their own from no apparent reason. It happened to DW once.