Ali's Had All Her Teeth Out!

Guest Ref

Hi all

We realised quite soon after getting Ali back in January that she was going to need some treatment to her teeth. Her gums were red and her teeth were covered in tartar, her saliva was thick and her breath repulsive. Over the past few months her gums have become less red and I was able to turn some of her teeth white with a little gentle brushing (though they did bleed with even the gentlest brushing) but her spit remained thick and breath foul.

We took her to the vet on Thursday and under anaesthetic she took out all but 7 of her teeth - the only ones remaining are 2 main bottom incisors, 3 teeth in between and two small ones at the top/front. She is on antibiotics and painkillers and her gums appear to be healing nicely and her breath doesn't take over the room. BUT she will only eat if we hand feed her, is wandering around whining and is now absolutely petrified of my kitchen floor (she did have a problem with the floor but got over it but now she is worse than ever - just stands there howling in distress).

Is this normal after having so many teeth out? Does she just need a little time to settle again before returning to normal (normal for Ali at least). I'd be very grateful for any other advice on how best to deal with a toothless grey.

Thanks in advance

Guest KennelMom

Grandpa came to us with most of his teeth missing, and he eventually had to have the last 5 or 6 removed. He was pretty zonky for about 36 hours post-surgery (it involved removing all four canines). After that, he was pretty much back to normal and eating heartily.

Guest barkdogs

She will adjust. Some dogs have a kind of "anesthesia hangover" for a day or two and they act more anxious than usual. Five years ago, my iggy Sophia had all but 2 teeth pulled when I got her--the last two came out about a year later. She eats anything that is small enough to swallow whole and she gets along great. Her tongue hangs out all the time which is pretty cute.

The antibiotics and painkillers could be bothering her stomach (altho her mouth is probably still sore as well). Try giving one regular-strength Pepcid (10mg famotidine is the generic), wait 30-40 minutes, feed, then give her other pills.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for the replies. I expected her to need time to get over the anaesthetic and any gum pain but the howling at the floor took me surprise.

If you ignore the kitchen floor issue then she is much more her normal self today - she's had a zoom around the garden with her duck and her ail is wagging again. Seems to be coming to terms with having no teeth and is keen to exercise her gums on treats - still not eating like she was pre-op (and boy can she eat!) but that could easily be the heat.

Thanks again.

Guest ChasesMum

poor baby!

are you softening her food or offering canned? maybe she will eat more that way? otherwise sounds like she is coming around nicely.

maybe the painkillers make the floor seem uneven or something? like having 1 drink too many... :lol

She's having soft food cut up quite small.

She's much much better today. Chasing her tail and attacking her duck. Didn't eat her breakfast and only half her lunch but scoffed down her dinner and went on the lookout for leftovers. And when she heard her treat door opening she even crossed the evil floor to see what was on offer.

I'll be glad when she is finished the course of anti-biotics and painkillers - they've taken her flatulence to another level! :sick

This is the first day she has been like her old self since Thursday and I'm so relieved she is on the mend - I was beginning to regret getting her teeth sorted out.

Guest DoofBert

Good thoughts for a speedy recovery. My grandmother's chihuahua had no teeth...... she got along just fine and even managed some 'crunchy' treats on occasion.

Hugs!

Guest MyBoys

Believe me she will adjust and she will feel so much better getting rid of all those nasty teeth. Our bridge Rembrandt had all his teeth but 6 removed, it was a little tough for him the first week or so but I just made sure his food was soft and he didn't have to do any chewing, at least until his gums were healed. I use to put either chicken or beef with cooked rice or cooked pasta in the blender and then add some good quality canned food to his meals. When his gums healed I started adding the little tiny bite kibble and water and canned food so he was able to sort of lap it up instead of having to do a lot of chewing. He figured it out real fast and never missed a beat when it came to meals, my little man crossed the bridge a few years back but he was with us until he was 1 month shy of 15 years old.

Guest deanna

Poor girl. She will adjust. James came to us (at almost 12 years old) with some dental issues. He ended up having several of his remaining teeth removed. After a few sore days (and being fairly out of it), he was back at stealing cookies and chews and whole chicken parts from the girls. He was ready to eat solid/hard things before I was ready for him to eat those things! He was kind enough to set the pace of his recovery for me. Now he has no problem eating anything. He has more teeth than your girl though.