Getting The Dogs To Use A Potty Area

We moved into this new place with the attention to make a potty area for the dogs to use instead of the main yard. Our hope was to finish it very soon after we moved in so the dogs would get used to using it right from the start but as life has it it didn't happen as planned. We naively assumed the old owners would remove the junk in it before we got here so all we would have to do was rake the old gravel out and put new pea gravel in, but it was left quite a mess. We finally finished it on Tuesday after a week and a bit of the dogs using the main yard as their latrine.

So far we managed to get the dogs to pee in it exactly one time each, and forget about going poop. They just stand by the fence that leads to the main yard and give the most pitiful greyhound look possible (and you know I'm a sucker for it). So far I've tried going out there with them for 5-10 minutes, putting them out and staying in the house (but keeping an eye on them through the window), bringing them back in after ten minutes or so and trying again 30 minutes later, where I try for another 10 minutes or so, until I bring them back in. I finally either let them go in the main yard or take them for a walk and either way both will go to the bathroom seconds later so they did need to go.

I realize I may never get them to the point where they don't use the main yard when in it but how do I get them to at least use the potty area as well?

I really would like to get them to use it for several reasons both for their safety (I can't see the whole yard after dark and there is at least one raccoon that calls our yard home) and for our convenience (searching 1/3 of an acre for poop isn't an easy task). Any help /advice is much appreciated.

P.S. I have pictures but photobucket isn't cooperating right now.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I think you are on the right track. Just don't give in (easier said than done, I know). In fact for a few days, I would only let them outside in that area and not in the yard. I also wouldn't walk them for a day or so either. Be strong!! Maybe even feed them out in that area if they are food motivated. Feeding them out there will give them good associations with that area.

Guest tricolorhounds

We have a sandy area that the dogs go potty in. It's hidden behind one of our sheds.

They use it 99% of the time for pooping, 75% of the time for peeing... the boys prefer to lift their legs in the rest of the yard. The sand is easy on their feet and easily replaceable.

Beach4.jpg

Beach3.jpg

Beach2.jpg

Beach1.jpg

Here are pictures of the potty area. I think it should be large enough for them to use. After much debate we decided to use pea gravel instead of sand because with the area having direct access to the house we figured we would get a lot of sand tracked in. They seem to walk across the gravel without a problem and Wally even dug a small hole and laid in it so I don't think it's a matter of comfort for them.

summer2010052.jpg

summer2010053.jpg

summer2010055.jpg

and a before shot.

summer2010.jpg

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Maybe you need to give them something to pee on??? Fake fire hydrant, something? Otherwise, can you block it off so they ONLY have access to that area? Eventually they'll HAVE to go.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest jaws4evr

I think I'm missing the text of your post.

We've recently started teaching our F GH and M Pitty mix to go in a specific area of the yard, because we're trying to grow grass and they are destroyers of grass, plus it's nice to be able to use the yard without having to watch for poops.

SO (no photos at the moment), we have a sidewalk coming from our back door to the garage, which splits the yard into a larger space, and a smaller but still GH sized space which we wanted to try to be the potty area, both grass. We bought one of those wire garden-fence segment thigns, and put it on the grass side of the sidewalk, leaving around a 5 foot gap between the side of the house and the fence, which allows access to the rest of the yard. (couldn't figure out how to get the fence over teh sidewalk and have it be sturdy so we just didn't btoher).

We go out with them 100% of the time, it's been a month so far. We shoo them into the potty area with happy voices. They are kinda sorta picking up on "gopee", but they also know that when we take them outside there is generally only one reason.

If they go, lots of "gopee!" sounds and treats when they're finished. We've recently started allowing them a bit of choice, instead of shooing them immediately into the "poo garden", we let them decide where to go first. Currently the GH is doing way better than the pitty mix, who tries to cheat more often than not :) he's actually a very smart dog so I'm surprised he isn't picking it up faster.

We have to keep the poo scooped as much as we can, the GH has notoriously soft stools though so we have to wait a couple of days before they're solid enough to be removed.

The difficulty is the dogs cannot have outside unsupervised time until we're sure they're trained. And as we stand now we're at least a month or two away from that point, if not more. Any accidents will totally wreck the work we've done so far, standing outside in slippers and a robe at 5am :)

I hae no idea if that answers your question or not but someone else with the same goal :)

Guest tbrodzel

I think it will just take, time, patience and strength of will on your part. When we first brought Brynna home I was freaking out cause she wouldn't go potty at our house, only at the dog park. I had this special area all set up for her and she wouldn't use it. But we just kept taking her to this special potty spot and were firm that this is where she should go. Eventually she got the hang of it.

Here's hoping for the best!

Be strong, I know those greyhound eyes can just melt my heart too.