Shampoo For The Millionth Time

Guest greytgreys

Guest greytgreys

I know this has probably been covered a million times, but I am just curious as to what kind of shampoo everyone uses on their greys. My new girl has very dry skin. I have been using an oatmeal shampoo, but I don't like the scent of it. I am very sensitive to smells and there isn't much I can tolerate. My new girl loves to run...and gets very dirty and needs very frequent baths because she is caked in mud. I have only had her two weeks...and she has already had three baths. :wacko:

Edited by greytgreys

Overbathing a dog can do more harm than good. The groomer where I used to work strongly discouraged baths more than every two weeks -- and that was his business. He said they need some oils left in their coat and on their skin. I agree with mostly hosing down.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest amethyst

My adoption group recommends 2 different blends:

1) 50 50 mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap and Lemon Joy

2) 12 oz Ivory liquid soap, 2 oz liquid glycerin, 2 oz white vinegar. Mix in gallon container then fill with water and mix well.

Both good for dry skin and makes coat shine.

I use De Flea Shampoo but that's because we're in FL. In researching shampoos for my itchy girl, there are two or three allergy- type shampoos that can be used daily if necessary. It's important to look at the descriptions of shampoos (use a search engine for "dog shampoo") and read and read and pretty soon you will catch on to the lingo and you will be able to pick out one that should work for you. I would go with rinsing whenever possible and maybe use a very, very dilute shampoo once a week or so, just enough to break the surface tension of any residual soil so it will rinse off. And remember, just when you think you have rinsed enough, do it again. Good luck.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest RocketDog

I work at a grooming shop, and am a huge fan of HydroSurge Aloe tearless shampoo, although I don't know how accessible it is to at-home consumers. It doesn't smell perfumey, doesn't dry my dogs' skin out, and it rinses clean without much fuss. Of course, my dogs have only been bathed once this year, and anytime they get muddy I am guilty of letting them dry and them brushing them thoroughly to shake loose the crud. A plain-jane water rinse would probably do the trick for your girl, and wouldn't dry her out as much as shampooing that often.

My new girl loves to run...and gets very dirty and needs very frequent baths because she is caked in mud. I have only had her two weeks...and she has already had three baths. :wacko:

To avoid all the bathing after she gets muddy, do you have a safe place to stash her until she is dry? You will likely find the mud easily brushes off. I would use a ZoomGroom, then a soft brush, then follow it with a microfiber cloth to remove the last bits of dirt.

My Greys rarely require bathing though I really like the look of their coat when bathed monthly, even when they did not appear to need it. My favorite shampoo is DVM HyLyt.

I work at a grooming shop, and am a huge fan of HydroSurge Aloe tearless shampoo, although I don't know how accessible it is to at-home consumers. ... A plain-jane water rinse would probably do the trick for your girl, and wouldn't dry her out as much as shampooing that often.

We have it at a local livestock supply store, though in the last couple years they have definitely gone high end on the pet section. Not surprising they would have this shampoo since they sell the HydroSurge as well. So you really think plain water is less drying than using a good shampoo? Am not a groomer so not knowledgeable but it just seems from my vast [cough *knot*] experience that with my two Greys, plain water is less drying than some shampoos but more drying than a good moisturizing shampoo. For the retrievers it seemed water was less drying than any shampoo. Figures too since the Greys for the most part wipe clean after dirt dries on them but the retrievers would always still need a bath. Maybe my Greys have been the exception.

I agree to not shampoo so much, even a gentle shampoo will dry out her skin. I'm another person who only bathes the dogs once a year. If she's muddy I'd just give her a rinse with plain lukewarm water, or as the previous poster suggested let it dry and brush it off.

NovaPearls is a lanoline-based shampoo you can get at PetCo. My greys were black and dry skin would show up right away. This did the trick. Several people here in GT have used it and love it.

Also, make sure you rinse thoroughly as soap can also dry their skin.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest Smiley

We always used the Cloud Star brand-the "Buddy" shampoo and conditioner. I loved the smell, it was natural and the dogs coats looked wonderful. I found it at our local feed shop and World Market too.

Guest greytgreys

Thanks for the suggestions. Although I am new to this forum, I am not new to greyhounds. I have had greys for 7 years and I have never bathed them more than once or twice a year. I am aware of the consequences of over-bathing. However, my furniture, home and other dogs are taking the brunt of the mud. Also, she has taken a liking to rolling in feces...which stinks. I have just under two acres fenced in....where I am very good at picking up after the dogs since I know their "usual" spots....often deer and other animals will relieve themselves and I can't always find those piles until after the dogs do.

Edited by greytgreys

I shampoo the girls MAYBE 2 or 3 times a year. Depends on what they find "fun" to roll in in the backyard. I use a oatmeal based shampoo. As for dry skin I give my girls a fish oil cap everyday and that has done wonders on the dry skin, even for me.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

We love Plum Silky from Nature's Specialties.It's a very good conditioning shampoo (therefore good for dry skin), smells amazing, cleans extremely well, and dilutes a tremendous amount. I usually buy a 16 oz. bottle, to dilute into 2 full gallons!

I also love their bluing shampoo (for white coats). Many bluing shampoos are very drying, but this one is not. Their neem shampoo is also very good for skin conditions, and rids the dog of fleas (though it cannot be labeled as such, because, as a natural ingredient, neem cannot be regulated by the FDA).

They have amazing conditioners, too. The Aloe Remoisturizer is good for dry skin, and I LOVE their Quicker Slicker for a grooming spray/leave-on conditioner.

The products can be tough to find, because not many stores carry it. But you can now order directly from the manufacturer.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

That's way too many baths!

I agree with brushing the mud off. Once or twice a year is more than enough for a greyhound. I use Nova Pearls moisturizing shampoo. I also feed George Grizzly salmon oil in his meals to help with the dry skin.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greytgreys

AGAIN--As I mentioned in post #15 I am NOT new to greyhounds and I only bathed my previous 6 greys and whips 1-2 times per year. However, when the dog rolls in sh*t, I draw the line there. My original question was what kind of shampoo do you all use? Not am I over bathing.

Guest LindsaySF

Why not try just washing her down with warm water to get the dirt off, to much shampooing can cause dry skin also.

This. Sophie gets dirty aaaall the time. I hose her almost daily, but I don't use shampoo because it will dry her skin.

If she's rolling in poop, you might need to scoop more. Maybe fence off a small portion of the yard for them to poop in so they can't sneak off and go somewhere that you can't scoop it. Or keep her leashed until you can check the yard for deer and other wild animal poop.

If you insist on bathing her this often, I would use a conditioner or cream rinse so her skin doesn't get too dry. You can give fish oil caplets also.

I agree to not shampoo so much, even a gentle shampoo will dry out her skin. I'm another person who only bathes the dogs once a year. If she's muddy I'd just give her a rinse with plain lukewarm water, or as the previous poster suggested let it dry and brush it off.

Yep. Three times in two weeks is way too much, and IMHO you are setting yourself up for skin problems. But before you get mad at me, I HAVE read the following -

Thanks for the suggestions. Although I am new to this forum, I am not new to greyhounds. I have had greys for 7 years and I have never bathed them more than once or twice a year. I am aware of the consequences of over-bathing. However, my furniture, home and other dogs are taking the brunt of the mud. Also, she has taken a liking to rolling in feces...which stinks. I have just under two acres fenced in....where I am very good at picking up after the dogs since I know their "usual" spots....often deer and other animals will relieve themselves and I can't always find those piles until after the dogs do.

AGAIN--As I mentioned in post #15 I am NOT new to greyhounds and I only bathed my previous 6 greys and whips 1-2 times per year. However, when the dog rolls in sh*t, I draw the line there. My original question was what kind of shampoo do you all use? Not am I over bathing.

And I DO appreciate your problems. Still, three times in two weeks is much too frequent, when you consider that this will amount to over 100 baths a year - not good for any dog, particularly one who is allowed to run free in two acres all year round (I'm thinking weather mostly). So what would I do if she were mine? Hmm ...

How about you get her a couple of 'onesie' type vests, to cover her torso? It might keep off most of the drier poop like deer and fox, and you could just sponge any spots that got through, and you could wash her legs, face and tail in warm water rather than having to bath her? It might discourage her from rolling, too. Also, if you're in hunting country, getting her an orange or yellow one will keep her safer, it seems (I'm in England so I am only going by what I read here, about greys occasionally being mistaken for deer by rogue hunters who disobey the rules about shooting close to housing areas).

You can buy stretch racing vests, if you've a mind to, or there are various coat makers who are beginning to do summer coats in this style.

There is a faint possibility that she's rolling not so much because she likes it, but to acquire the neighbourhood smells and fit in, since she's new - and of course, if that's the case, bathing her more often will just perpetuate the problem. Who knows? All dogs are different ... I had one grey who loved splashing through fresh cow pats and eating horse 'apples' when we first got him, but after a month or two, the novelty wore off and he left them alone. Hopefully, this will be the case with you new girl, too! :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Lmw626

My Two Point had excessively dry skin and three patches of infected black heads when I got him in March. The vet told me to use Head and Shoulders 2-n-1 Shampoo/Conditioner on him and let it sit on for a while during a bath, especially on the blackheads. I do two lather up/rinses per bath. After just a few baths, the dry skin is at least 80% cleared up and the black head patches are reduced and look less infected or impacted. Afterwards he is super soft and smooth and smells great! I wish my own hair responded so well to a shampoo!

She also said to use Strydex type cleansing pads on the breakouts which has helped.

I have been bathing him every 4-6 weeks so far but that's only to clear up the problem (helps the crazy shedding too!), eventually it will be less often. Two Point has a habit of peeing on the back of his front legs so those get sponge baths frequently.

I also think diet is a part of it. I put Two Point on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon food with large dollop of plain yogurt almost as soon as I got him. I think the fish oil in the food has helped. I just started adding liquid essential oils to the food this week as advised by the vet for even better skin/coat health.

Edited by Lmw626