Annual Costs

Guest BlingDogs

Guest HoundyGirl

Gus - greyhound - I've only had him since Memorial Day, so he's cost me one vet visit for a well-check ($40) and a year's worth of heartworm & flea & tick preventative (I get a year's worth at a time because my brother's a vet and he gives it to me at cost - it's less shipping for him).

Daisy - coonhound - has been more expensive. She had a stomach bug that cost $200, a girly infection which cost $15o, it was about $200 to diagnose her with hip dysplasia and it's about $40/month for her glucosamine/chondroitin for her hip dysplasia, plus a year's worth of heatworm & flea & tick meds. My brother has started supplying me with the glucosamine/chondroitin now, too, so that's going to go down to $20/month.

All in all, I'm really lucky that I have a vet in the family and that vet costs where I live aren't super high. I used to live in a large city and most of those vet fees would've been doubled for Daisy.

Guest Swifthounds

I don't have pet insurance as some do, but I do have a savings account for emergencies. Most of our largest per incident expenses have been under $400.00.

Some of how much you spend will depend on how much you know how to do yourself and how much you feel comfortable doing yourself. Anything you can do at home will be less than what you would pay a standard small animal vet to do it. If you still vaccinate annually, that adds expense (and maybe vaccinosis related expenses). How you manage hounds also factors in (muzzling or no muzzling, environment, etc.). A third factor is the amount of time, energy, and resources put into what will keep them in the best shape, from diet to joint supplements, to supplements for overall health as they age.

I've probably spent a larger percentage of my overall spending on food and supplements than I have on emergencies, but I've gotten pretty good results with the "wellness" spending.

Guest Fasave

I don't have pet insurance as some do, but I do have a savings account for emergencies. Most of our largest per incident expenses have been under $400.00.

Some of how much you spend will depend on how much you know how to do yourself and how much you feel comfortable doing yourself. Anything you can do at home will be less than what you would pay a standard small animal vet to do it. If you still vaccinate annually, that adds expense (and maybe vaccinosis related expenses). How you manage hounds also factors in (muzzling or no muzzling, environment, etc.). A third factor is the amount of time, energy, and resources put into what will keep them in the best shape, from diet to joint supplements, to supplements for overall health as they age.

I've probably spent a larger percentage of my overall spending on food and supplements than I have on emergencies, but I've gotten pretty good results with the "wellness" spending.

I agree to some extent. It's worth the extra effort to keep your pups safe (muzzled, seat belts in cars, caribeeners on leashes, etc), as well as, good food and supplements of which I do all. But in the end, there is still a degree of luck. My 10.5 year old has had three surgeries for a soft tissue sarcoma, one for a nerve sheath tumor and recent surgery for an epulis in the mouth and torn salivary gland. The epulis is the one that caught me the most by surprise because I have brushed his teeth with a battery operated tooth brush every night (minus a few holidays) for seven years. He never needed a dental and the last thing I thought he would ever need was to see a dentist. Sometimes things just happen so it's best to be prepared. I am personally glad I have the health insurance but I'm sure the company is wishing I didn't at this point. :lol

Also, forgot to add that costs vary widely by area of the country. I'm in the Northeast and I am so jealous of annuals that run around $100. I never leave the vets without at least a $300 bill and that's just routine blood work and exam.

Edited by Fasave

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

The only money I have spent this year has been to spay/neuter and vaccinate etc foster dogs that I have rescued or taken in. My own dogs haven't had anything- I don't do annual shots, no one needs rabies for at least a year or two, and everyone that is going to be S/N has been. I don't have any seniors... at least not medically ;) The calendar says one is 13 but to look at him, you'd think four or five.

It's really a crapshoot. If someone gets hurt racing or coursing then I could eat my words. The most expensive aspect of dog ownership to me is traveling to dog shows.