Is Anyone Using Artemisinin For Cancer?

Guest Dana

Guest Dana

Thanks to everybody for the words of wisdom and encouragement yesterday. I had asked a question about what to expect with osteosarcoma and I received many thoughtful replies. My question today is about Artemisinin and it's use for cancer. Yesterday, Jen said that she has been using it. I was wondering if anybody else was using it and if so what your experience has been with it. I ordered it yesterday and it should be here Monday. John weighs 83 pounds and I was thinking one 100mg tablet in the am and pm. Also, I went to the our Herbal shop yesterday and I got the mushroom extract that Jen had written about along with almond butter to give with his pain meds. I started mixing salmon with his kibble for Omega and will start him on a good supplement of Omega 3 today. Any other suggestions? My goal is to keep him around and pain free for as long as I humanly can.

Guest ShootersDad

I have use Artemisinin with all 6 of our Osteo greyhounds we amputated. I give mine 2 of the 100 mg tablets once a day. At least three hours before or after he eats.

I used Artemisinin for Major Turn. His cancer was very aggressive, so it didn't have much affect. I do believe in it, though. If you e-mail Dr. Couto, I am sure he will tell you the dosage to use. He answers all of his e-mails.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest Smiley

I believe when we had Smiley down at OSU for osteo that Dr. Couto said that arteminisin is part of their treatment protocol . . .

Dr. Couto is recommending 100 mg once daily. That's as conservative as you can get given the protocol options that are out there.

Dana, 2 key things - it has to be given at least 3-4 hours away from anything containing iron (ie. meat) and it's thought to be most effective when given at night. Most recommendations are to give it around 10 pm. Because of when I feed my dogs dinner, Neyla gets hers closer to midnight right before we go to sleep. Also, it cannot be given around radiation so if you decide to do that for pain mgt, you will need to discontinue the arte right beforehand and not use it for some time afterward (I think it's something like 2 months - that info is on the bone cancer site I linked you to).

I saw you joined the yahoo group - there's a files section and one document in particular that explains the regimen most people on there are using where you cycle and also use curcumin. It's the one I'm thinking of switching to if I can get Neyla's stomach back on track. But if you want to go simpler, you could do a higher dose of the arte or you can mix in other derivatives. Regarding the latter, there are 2: artemether (this one you have to be more careful with in terms of dosage (1-2 mg/lb is the max I believe) and artesenuate. Each one works slightly differently in the body so there is reason to consider using a combination. There's another company (Wellcare, I think the website is Hepalin.com) that sells Artemisinin and its derivatives. They sell them individually and they also make a combo called Artemix. You could do 100-200 mg of the Artemisinin you bought along with 1-2 caplets of the Artemix daily. These are just some starting suggestions. A lot of people go with just the arte @ 100-200 mg/day. We're currently doing 100 mg artemisinin + 40 mg artemether daily.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."