Complex Partial Seizures

Guest lego71

Guest lego71

We have a wonderful grey, Jess, who we believe to have had a complex partial seizure a couple days ago. We have a vet appt in the am. Has anyone else out there experienced these and if so what question, test etc should I be talking to our vet about? Thanks for any help!!

Gentle Jess's mom

Edited by lego71

My guess is that your vet will do a blood panel to see if anything is off and will probably tell you to go home and wait and see if it happens again. Some hounds have had one seizure and never had another. Others will start having seizures and will require medication to control them. How old is Jess?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest lego71

We have a wonderful grey, Jess, who we believe to have had a complex partial seizure a couple days ago. We have a vet appt in the am. Has anyone else out there experienced these and if so what question, test etc should I be talking to our vet about? Thanks for any help!!

Gentle Jess's mom

Jess is 9 years old and we believe she may have had another one about a year ago. She has also started whinning during the night which we thought was a bathroom break but after reading info on seizures this may be a sign also.She other wise Aok . She did get sprayed by a skunk about a week ago but seems okay.

She's past the age to be diagnosed with epilepsy so your vet is going to be looking for a physical cause for the seizures. You might expect x-rays along with blood work. I'd be interested in having her blood sugar checked. At her age, low blood sugar could bring on seizures. I'd also ask to have her thyroid checked. Thyroid problems in older greys can bring on seizures also. I wish you good luck in finding the cause. If I can be of any other help, please let me know.

If your vet does x-rays, they will obviously be of the head, looking for tumors or something along those line. They don't always show up though and if not an MRI would be the next step.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Judy,

Thanks for your help. I told her that someone on greytalk could help.

Cully

Judy,

Thanks for your help. I told her that someone on greytalk could help.

Cully

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

You're very welcome Cully. I like to help when I can.

Guest lego71

Jess, Seen the vet today. She took blood test and we won't know until Monday or Tuesday the results. She did an exam and felt she was in excellant condition. Jess is down about 3 pounds but Dr wasn't real concerned being its summer and she a little off her feed. Wants us to

add some treats and entice her to eat covering the low sugar thing in case. We will know more by Tuesday. Thanks for the info and help

Cully and Judy

You're very welcome. I'll check in to see what the results were next week.

Guest lego71

Jess's results are in and Blood results showed white count 3.5 a little low, creatinne 1.73 a little bit up lipase 1113 a little up, amylase 1262 up a little, hematocrit 63.2 a little high hemoglobin, 20.2 a little high, lymphocytes low at 700. Vet thought she may have been fighting an infection in her body. We have started alittle extra wet food and she is finally eating breakfast again. She sure seem much better. Acting silly again. 3:00 a.m race in backyard!!! The vet clinic is doing a special with blood report and the lab that does them sends you a report after you do a survey on your dog. The report explains each out of range value and possible reasons for the out of range values. Jess's over all assessment was good . The report state that only 25% of the general dog population has a rating of good while 31.25% of the general dog population hast a rating of excellent to good .Age is a big factor. Though we don't have a reason for the seizure Jess is doing much better. We may never see another one.!!

Thanks for the help and concerns!!!.

Shirley

Glad to hear she's getting back to normal and will keep my fingers crossed that she has no more seizures!

Oh my gosh she's beautiful! She lays like my Sammie, frog legs!:lol

Guest Stripeyfan

What a beautiful girl - she has white-tipped toes like our boy! I hope she's all better now and doesn't have any more seizures.

She's gorgeous! Hope the extra bit of food helps - no more seizures!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest lego71

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and wishes. She is much better and back to playing and waiting for us to get home so she can go for a walk.

We think she is beautifull and so much fun.

Thanks Cully for sharing them for me!!