2Nd Greyhound To Bloat In 5 Years! Omg! I Hate This!

Guest Paige12

Guest Paige12

Last night we had our second greyhound, Mimi suffer from Bloat, happily the ending was wonderful this time and she is back to her normal crazy self. Just posting this so everyone is aware bloat can happen to them. I had baked hamburger dog cookies and they weren't cool enough to bag up and put in the fridge. We had to go out so DH and I put up the baby gate as usual, put the cooling rack on in the back room and closed the door. Mimi hopped the baby gate ( a first!) got the back room open and ate 3 dozen cookies. When we came home her stomach seemed a little big, but considering all the cookies... all of a sudden she started trying to vomit every few minutes with nothing coming up. She wasn't arching her back like our boy Elvie, that had bloat and torsion years ago, (we lost him that night and we never knew what caused the bloat), but she kept repeatedly trying to throw up. When we got her to the ER x-rays showed her stomach completely packed with the cookies. Now the danger was keeping it from flipping.They injected her with a liter of saline solution under the skin to be absorbed into her system and down into her stomach to help loosen all that up so it would start moving in either direction. Long story short, after a long night of periods of diarrhea and vomiting once, she was better and slept. So, from now on all foods are locked away in the pantry that is totally unaccessable to all greyhounds. Most expensive cookies I ever made, but I'm so happy she's back to health. The picture is from two weeks ago, Mimi with her head in an empty dog food bag, and her sister Lena checking her out, but in hindsight, should have remembered what a little pig she is. P1010143.jpg

P1010136.jpg

Edited by Paige12

Guest mhall

How scary!! I'm so glad that Mimi will be okay. Our first dog Tarmac was a total food hound (and a baby gate opening expert!), and after spending a night in the backyard with him after he ate 2 lbs. of dried lentils we got really good about putting food away.

I'm glad for the happy ending!!

I had a similar experience with Kulee a year or so ago... except that for some reason she ate a large amount of gravel :blink::blink: that we didn't know she had eaten. Fortunately I work for a vet and she comes to work with me so when she started acting like she was bloating, I immediately had her examined and x-rays done. Her stomach was full of food and gravel with some gravel in her intestines. Fluids and lots of walking helped things to start moving along.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest IrskasMom

Glad it had a happy ending . My Morty is deffinitly not a Food Hound . He will not eat Cookies from me or from anybody else.I am just glad he eats his Dinner every Night. Now I am glad. :unsure

Guest Energy11

Great post to remind everyone to be careful with food, and these "chow hounds!"

Your quick action, getting to the vet immediately, saved your dog!

Glad everything is OK now!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Wow, I have never heard of ab NGA hound bloating. So scary!

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

That is very very scary. I am so glad Mimi is okay today. What a frightening event and not something I would like to experience. I agree, we all need a reminder now and then how serious and deadly bloat can be.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yes oh thank the Lord for the happy ending. My soul mate Slim crossed over due to bloat/GDV in 2006. He was only 6 yoa. Like you there was no cause that could be identified. He always had a weak greyhound stomach though. On TV they save them, but despite everything being done state of the art it resulted in the death sentence during surgical recovery ultimately from DIC. He had coded once and fought back. The 2nd time he coded the DIC occurred and that was the final act. I am very emotional about bloat now so it was very good to hear of an actual positive outcome. Scritches to the little girl!

Guest tbrodzel

Wow, scary stuff.

I remember reading about bloat from running after eating, but never even thought/heard about bloat from eating too much.

Thankfully we don't have a counter surfer or a gal who gets into food items (ocassionaly will search the trash for food). We keep our dog food bag out in the open, but perhaps I should lock it away just in case. Glad I read your post, cause I have been a bit lax about leaving some food items around the house. Never know when the munchies might take over my Brynna and make her go wild.

Glad your outcome was a happy one this time. :colgate

Edited by tbrodzel

Guest Paige12

My condolences on Slim, I'm so sorry for your loss. When Elvie was going through that horrible night, we wasted precious minutes because we were so, so in denial that it could be bloat!!! Raised feeders, small meals twice a day, no strenuous activity right after eating... I remember praying in the car that night as we took him, that it wasn't bloat!!! It was, with the torsion and he also had a bleeding disorder which ruled out the surgery to try and flip it back and staple it. (He had no clotting when they neutered him), so we kissed him goodbye. It's been 4 1/2 years and I still beat myself up for waiting and him maybe being in pain longer than he had to. The actually bloating of his stomach didn't appear til we got him to the ER, but he had the retching and gagging at home and we should have known. Bloat is a nightmare. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. We are thrilled Mimi is better. Trust me we won't make the same mistake with food twice.

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Thank you for posting. Pete eats without chewing, like a lot of hounds, and I have to slow him down. He gets 2 meals per day, elevated feeder, and I put objects in his food bowl he has to work around. I even break small size biscuits down into smaller pieces, but still he winds up coughing or choking a little afterwards. He could be a good candidate for bloat. So I needed this push to refresh myself on the topic.

Guest ChasesMum

uugh your poor household!!

chase is terrible for eating naughty things. She has had stomach surgery to remove a blockage as well. she has caused us many a trip to the emerg vet, and has swallowed her weight in hydrogen peroxide I am sure !! :blush

naughty hounds. funny thing is she looks exactly like yours in the kibble bag! lol

I'm glad Mimi is okay.

I had an opened bag of dog food I intended to return to the store. I left it near the door while I was doing a few chores before going out. Then I stepped outside to talk to a neighbor about something.

When I came back in a few minutes later, Sam was head-down in the bag. (He didn't even knock the bag over. He stood on his hind legs and went head-first into a 30 pound bag of kibble!) I couldn't tell how much he'd eaten, so I kept an eye on him. Within minutes, he was moaning in discomfort. I hauled him outside and poured hydrogen peroxide down his throat. He threw up at least 5 cups of kibble (and lots of foam), much more kibble than he's allowed to have in one day, let alone one meal.

Sam wound up fine. In an hour, I let him have a bit of his regular breakfast. I waited another hour before I gave him any more. He recovered with no problems.

But I think I would have lost him if he'd gotten into the food when I wasn't home. He's usually muzzled, but he's been known to get his muzzle off. At my house, dog food is stored in a lidded, heavy-duty plastic container. Potatoes are stored in a lidded plastic container. Bread is kept on top of the refrigerator. If I have something I can't refrigerate or put inside a kitchen cabinet, it goes into the downstairs bathroom and the door is closed. Both dogs are muzzled (Sam with a poop guard) when I'm not home, but they're both sneaky enough to slip into the kitchen when my back is turned--while I'm in the shower, am outside getting the mail, etc. I really can't trust them and I'm quite determined to stop them from eating themselves into an early grave.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Paige12

I'm glad Mimi is okay.

I had an opened bag of dog food I intended to return to the store. I left it near the door while I was doing a few chores before going out. Then I stepped outside to talk to a neighbor about something.

When I came back in a few minutes later, Sam was head-down in the bag. (He didn't even knock the bag over. He stood on his hind legs and went head-first into a 30 pound bag of kibble!) I couldn't tell how much he'd eaten, so I kept an eye on him. Within minutes, he was moaning in discomfort. I hauled him outside and poured hydrogen peroxide down his throat. He threw up at least 5 cups of kibble (and lots of foam), much more kibble than he's allowed to have in one day, let alone one meal.

Sam wound up fine. In an hour, I let him have a bit of his regular breakfast. I waited another hour before I gave him any more. He recovered with no problems.

But I think I would have lost him if he'd gotten into the food when I wasn't home. He's usually muzzled, but he's been known to get his muzzle off. At my house, dog food is stored in a lidded, heavy-duty plastic container. Potatoes are stored in a lidded plastic container. Bread is kept on top of the refrigerator. If I have something I can't refrigerate or put inside a kitchen cabinet, it goes into the downstairs bathroom and the door is closed. Both dogs are muzzled (Sam with a poop guard) when I'm not home, but they're both sneaky enough to slip into the kitchen when my back is turned--while I'm in the shower, am outside getting the mail, etc. I really can't trust them and I'm quite determined to stop them from eating themselves into an early grave.

Amen to that.

So glad she is ok...and that first picture is a total crack-up :lol

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

So glad this has a happy ending. I think of bloat daily with all the summer activities, so i appreciate you posting this. Chance is obsessed with food, but so far pretty good not counter surfing or getting into anything I may accidentally have left around.

btw...your hounds are beautiful :)