Is This A Hind Leg /back Issue Or No?

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Dr. Doug is 10, and for about the last year, I've noticed that his rear toenails stay nice and short without clipping. I attributed it to enthusiastic kicking on concrete after pooping, but lately I've begun to realize I can hear him scraping his hind toenails on the pavement as we walk, just lightly. He doesn't seem to have any mobility problems, hops up on our high bed, runs when he feels like it, but I also notice when we stand and talk to someone on our walks, his hind legs will tremble slightly as he stands around.

Does this sound like fairly normal aging changes or something more ominous? We just lost Wizard to a neurological problem, and Simon 3 years before, also--though neither of their symptoms were quite the same as this, or the same as each others', for that matter.

We're sort of in vet-limbo now since Wizard's traumatic euthanasia, and I'd like to go on pretending vets don't exist, but if this really sounds like something wrong...?

This is really just a guess because Wayne doesn't do well standing on a hard surface for long which can be common.

Could be a little arthritis and could be nothing. Not much help, sorry

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Could be either arthritis or back-related issues ... hard to say at this age. Might want to discuss the symptoms with your vet, so he/she can put him on a treatment plan with supplements and NSAIDs if needed.

Good Luck!

Guest Longdog

when my Cush started to do similar I took him to the vet and to check whether it was neuro he bent his back foot under and if it stays there or is slow to reflex then he said it may be neuro where the signal from the brain to the foot is slow. If he puts his foot straight back down on reflex then the nerves etc are working as they should so may be joint related - Cushes reflexes were fine and after an x-ray discovered arthritis in his lower spine near his hips. Not sure if this helps you at all?