Exercise Pens

I am looking into getting an exercise pen (I think that's what those portable enclosures are called) for my girl when we're camping. Can anyone recommend one in particular? I'm in Canada, so my choices are probably more limited here.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest tbrodzel

My link

I hope the above link works. If not here is the brand info: EliteField Exercise Pens Model: GEP-8048. Each one has 8 panels 24" wide and 48" high. It folds up nicely and you can configure it multiple ways. I bought mine on ebay, but I am sure you could get them from petco or petsmart or somewhere similar.

I bought three of these ex-pens and connected them in my back yard, I use it as my dogs potty area. It works great and when I travel I plan on taking them along. I live in a cold and snowy climate and I had them up all winter with no problems.

Hope you find something you like and works for you. All the best! :colgate

X-pens are all pretty much the same.

Make sure if you get one that you find a way to prevent it from folding up while the dog is in it! Like putting rocks at each of the corners. And never, and I mean never, leave the dog unattended in the pen while you're camping!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

To save money, search Craigslist and Ebay. I have three ex-pens that I bought used off those sites, and paid about what I would have for one brand new one. On has a little rust on it, but it's not too bad.

I have two 42" pens, one 48". I would not recommend one that is less than 42", but that is JMHO. They are all the 24" wide wire panels, eight panels per pen.

I agree, though - DO NOT leave her unattended in the ex-pen. When we use ours, it's when we are at shows or the like, and want our hands free (thus no leashes), but do not want to confine the dogs to a crate - the ex-pen gives them a little more room, especially if we use two or more together.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

What they said. X-pens aren't like crates. Dogs need to be supervised when they're in there.

If it's for camping and outdoor use, some have anchors that can be pounded into the ground to stabilize them some. If you buy a used one, you can probably improvise something similar.

You might consider getting two if you can afford it. A single one is fine but a bit tight room-wise.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If it's for camping and outdoor use, some have anchors that can be pounded into the ground to stabilize them some. If you buy a used one, you can probably improvise something similar.

You can order them from Pet Edge for less than $10, too! :)

You might consider getting two if you can afford it. A single one is fine but a bit tight room-wise.

I like having more than one for the space, but I have comfortably fit two adult male Borzoi in one. Just sayin'! ;)

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

If you don't have stakes and are camping by trees you can use the trees for stability. Run a bungee cord around a tree and fasten to two places on the wire. You can also use the leg of a heavy picnic table. I bought 2 on ebay and both came with stakes. I use one in the house when I'm having work done. I can confine the dogs to the dining/kitchen area to keep them away from wet paint. They can go out the doggie door and have beds and water. I also use one to keep the dogs out of the garden in planting season.

We have the "It's a Breeze Too" lightweight pens. They come in different heights (ours are 42" high) and weigh about 16 lbs all told. (After DH's bypass there was no way he could carry the metal ones around!)

expen.jpg

We've got 2 for the 4 hounds - works well. Our gang is not really interested in jumping/leaping/seeing over the top etc (they can see through the mesh side panels).

It also comes with little "tent spikes" (for lack of a better word) that you can you to reinforce the pen into the ground and, trust me - it does NOT move!

I got them at PetEdge but if you do a search under the mfg. General Cage, they have a few distributors in Canada.

Donna

Ooooo! Weight is VERY important. Not that I or hubby can't lift 40+ lbs... but I'm towing my camper trailer with my Buick and I'm at my max hitch weight and tow weight. I will look into this option, thanks!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

We have 2 Precision X-pens, which are great and have a door. They aren't light, but if you can put them behind the axle in the camper, it will lighten the tongue weight on the Buick. We're only talking 50 lbs or something for both, not that I've ever weighed them.

We've camped like the pic below at least 10x and the boys have learned 1) the door is what gets them in/out, nothing else and 2) they can't get out. I have pretty placid hounds, generally speaking, so they've never even tried to get out but I certainly wouldn't leave them unsupervised. We do sometimes sit 50 feet away from them, with watchful eyes, but you know (most) greyhounds...all they do is sleep anyway.

Campgrey011.jpg

Enjoy camping - I am sure your girl will love it!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road