Farm Dog?

Speaking as someone who used to have an actual farm (300 acres) I can tell you that Greyhounds are not sensible dogs to be allowed to run free over a large area especially where there is bush type cover, they'll go over a 6ft fence or gate as if it wasn't there if they want to go after a deer or some rabbits on the other side. They are too fragile of limb to bound about over rocks and rough ground. They overheat too readily. They won't come back to recall. They could be stolen at night or get into trouble with livestock and wildlife. We even brought our Border Collies in at night - they were way too valuable to risk wandering off.

If you want a Grey then it needs to be a house dog with a strict routine and a well fenced safe exercise area. You walk the dog further afield like checking the boundaries - which is a good thing for both human and dog.

I didn't have Borzois until I left the farm for those same reasons - like Greys they're free-spirited fast hunting dogs not guarding and herding dogs you can rely on to stay around the home area.

It isn't a question of people being like jailers with apartment dogs or anything like that. it's just that Greys are bred for organized sprint running and often just don't know when to stop when confronted with the wide world.

Now really, does anyone expect this guy to come back? lol.gif

My dogs are waiting for their ice cream so I can't wait to find out rolleyes.gif

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest mickie37

I have 5 securely fenced acres that my greyhound Cappy enjoys. He patrols and marks the fence line once a day. He does not run, he trots and walks. After this he takes a break by lying and rolling in a spring to cool off. My muddy pup then helps with chores by keeping sheep off the feeder so I can feed without getting stomped. He does all of this with me because he is basically a couch potato and although he likes his farm he wants me along for company. I have a lane about the length of a football field and he loves to run that a couple of times a week after which he seeks out a shady spot or some water to lie in.

Cappy is a farm dog and has a lot of supervised freedom so he can be a dog but can be safe.

Guest Heehoo

Dang, this was gettin' good. I could've been reading this for free instead of

going to the movies & eating Milk Duds....no worries, I did not save any

for my spoiled greyhounds.

Guest TeddysMom

Now really, does anyone expect this guy to come back? lol.gif

My dogs are waiting for their ice cream so I can't wait to find out rolleyes.gif

I think the OP just came on to stir up trouble. He obviously already had the picture picked out and ready to attack before he ever posted. I doubt he will post again but if he does, IMO it will only be to antagonize.

Edited by TeddysMom

The OP had to be a bad attempt at humor, no? It could not have been for real. I mean, what greyhound even WANTS french fries every day? What about the ice cream? Or sardines? Or, gasp, mooshies lol.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:lol Mine just had hers, blackberry. I let her finish my eggs for me this morning too. The only thing horrific about all fo this is that I only let Neyla have some, Zuri got left out. Bad mom!!!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wow, so many things wrong with that post - yeah, you all know the one :lol

1 - attacking a member, oops, you didn't know it was a member, oh well, still a member

2 - know the board you are posting on, did you honestly think that comment would go over well

3 - this a greyhounds as pets board. PETS. Hard to have pets if you never interact with them.

I'll be one of the first to agree that greyhounds are <gasp> just dogs, but greyhounds aren't outside dogs 100% of the time.

Hope you enjoyed you stay ;)