Farm Dog?

My wife and I live on 50 acres in rural Georgia. We have 2 dogs (german shepherd and a mutt), 6 cats, and two horses. We would like to add a greyhound to our family. The question that I have regards the potential for over wandering. Our property is completely fenced but it is not escape proof. I understand the need for a new dog to adjust to her new home and family and the importance of training, but we don't want a dog that will constantly be running away from home. We recently had a Walker puppy who we had to give to a friend in another part of Georgia with 1000 acres because she would disappear each night. We don't want to repeat that problem. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Jim

With 50 acres, I can see a greyhound wandering all over the place, running even and maybe over running. Given the space greyhounds will run like crazy. Some are really good escape artists also.

You would have to do a lot of "recall" training with a greyhound and I'm not sure I would trust one to return when called to be honest. I wouldn't trust one of mine with that much land.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest deanna

We're on just 3 acres, and I can't beg my dogs to take advantage of it. The like to sleep in the grass... and that's about it. I'll catch them running probably an combined total of 5 minutes per day. They have their places that they like to hang out, under the cherry tree, next to the goat pen, in the lawn, but don't do much exploring.

We have a small run for them to be in when we aren't supervising them outside, but most of the time we're outside, they're out with us, and stay close.

I would either make your fence escape-proof, or fence a smaller area for your pup. But I'm sure a grey would love it there :)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Two of my severe cat zappers live on a cattle ranch now, and they thrive there. Both were pretty off leash reliable from day one, natural velcro dogs. But they both do run the property without issue. It is fenced securely. I suppose it depends on the dogs. It's so hot here, the dogs don't run very hard or very often most of the year.

Unless I'm out with them, Jet and Tavarish haven't explored the yard. Jet sticks to the easily passable places while T just barrels through the brush and stuff. We have 6 acres here - about 5 of that is now fenced. They still have the dog yard for night time use and when I'm gone or just don't feel like keeping too much of an eye on them.

Gate is open to the back yard now, temps aren't too bad and all 3 dogs are in laying on the floors. Jet and T were out earlier and played and then Jet took a snooze in the sand for a bit.

Some thoughts......

Yes, they are dogs and many dogs lead very fine and happy lives running freely over large distances. There are some people here who let their greys off-leash wherever with no problems, but these are the exceptions and not the rule.

Further, greys are sighthounds that have been bred for thousands of years to be independent hunters. They can and will run after anything that moves until they catch it or they get tired. At 45 MPH that can be very far. They have almost no knowledge of boundaries like fences, or of cars, roads, other dogs, and other predators. You can't expect a greyhound to stick around home unsupervised without intensive training. Even a hound that is very bonded to his owner can take off when the urge stirkes him to. I think you may have trouble convincing an adoption group that your situation is right for their dogs. Many *require* you to never let your dog off-leash in uncontained areas, which yours sounds like.

Their skin is very fragile and can get torn easily, resulting in horrific injuries and large vet bills. They are not dogs that can run through the brush with no problems. And a fight with another dog or animal can be life-threatening. They are not suited for living outdoors in extremes of temperatures - hot or cold.

It's admirable that you would like to adopt a retired racing greyhound, but I don't think this is the right breed for you given the info you provided.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Energy11

Where in rural Georgia are you? We are in Ellijay, going west on Rt. 52 toward Chatsworth.

I, personally, would never let my dogs run on that much land. Too much can happen, including over-running, injuries, other animals getting to them, and them getting loose. If I had that much land, I'd fence off a smaller area for the greyhound, ... an area where you can WATCH them. We had a small privacy fenced area here for the evening, and quick turnouts, and a larger fenced area for other times.

Good Luck!

Some thoughts......

Yes, they are dogs and many dogs lead very fine and happy lives running freely over large distances. There are some people here who let their greys off-leash wherever with no problems, but these are the exceptions and not the rule.

Further, greys are sighthounds that have been bred for thousands of years to be independent hunters. They can and will run after anything that moves until they catch it or they get tired. At 45 MPH that can be very far. They have almost no knowledge of boundaries like fences, or of cars, roads, other dogs, and other predators. You can't expect a greyhound to stick around home unsupervised without intensive training. Even a hound that is very bonded to his owner can take off when the urge stirkes him to. I think you may have trouble convincing an adoption group that your situation is right for their dogs. Many *require* you to never let your dog off-leash in uncontained areas, which yours sounds like.

Their skin is very fragile and can get torn easily, resulting in horrific injuries and large vet bills. They are not dogs that can run through the brush with no problems. And a fight with another dog or animal can be life-threatening. They are not suited for living outdoors in extremes of temperatures - hot or cold.

It's admirable that you would like to adopt a retired racing greyhound, but I don't think this is the right breed for you given the info you provided.

Very well put.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest TeddysMom

I guess I am overly cautious not only with my GHs but all my other dogs, they have 2 acres securely fenced and I don't allow them to run even though I am surrounded by hay fields and pastures. If I can't see them, I worry. If they got out and injured on 50 acres you might not find them until it is too late. I know a lot of ranchers out west have GH's and lurchers that run free and growing up our dogs were all farm dogs but I am too afraid something would happen to them.

Thanks, but dogs are made for the outdoors. They should not be confined to a house and fed french fries! Every *true* dog lover should feel a disgust when looking at this picture:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f0q9muIhIAQ/S-2vzdnhTkI/AAAAAAAAAAM/6yz32B7xXs8/S640/French+Fries!.jpg

Whoever approved those adoptions should be ashamed.

Some thoughts......

Very well put.

Wellllllllllllllllllll ..... I happen to know the person "caught" feeding her dogs french fries, and her household is one of the few I'd trust my dogs to, if anything were to happen to me. You might want to find out more about a situation before criticizing it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks, but dogs are made for the outdoors. They should not be confined to a house and fed french fries!

I had a feeling when I read the topic title that you're not looking for a pet; I don't believe a Greyhound is appropriate for you given the above.

Greyhounds are not outdoor dogs. They're not guard dogs. They don't herd. They don't protect your property. And a greyhound can run fast enough to kill himself crashing into a fence. They can die from heat stroke. Simply playing with your other dogs could send your hound to the e-vet because as Greysmom said, they have skin like tissue paper.

There are lots of other dogs who need homes, many of whom would no doubt LOVE living on your farm with the rest of your pack!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thanks, but dogs are made for the outdoors. They should not be confined to a house and fed french fries! Every *true* dog lover should feel a disgust when looking at this picture:

http://2.bp.blogspot...ench+Fries!.jpg

Wow, brand new and making personal attacks on people, namely me. You know nothing about me and you know nothing about greyhounds. If you bothered to do any research, you would find out that greyhounds aren't meant to spend their lives outside. They aren't able to handle extreme heat or cold. Ask any adoption group and they will tell you the same thing.

You should be ashamed, making attacks on people you know nothing about.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Guest PhillyPups

I do not know who you are or if you are who you say you are, or a troll. Personally I feel it quite rude to have your second post on a message board slam a very loving person who has very spoiled hounds without even knowing any facts, just to toss it out there.

I would rather any of my hounds eat french fries from this loving woman's hands than run on your acherage.

Guest TeddysMom

I am a "true" dog lover and when I see that picture I just think how incredibly lucky those dogs are to be living in a good home where they are loved and cared for. When I first read your post, the thought ran through my mind that you were just feeling out the group. If you are a true animal lover, there are hundreds of shelter dogs that really need a home like you have to offer, I know because I have several. If you are intent on getting a greyhound I would just ask that you do a lot of research on the breed first.

Guest Jubilee251

This morning, on the way home from the dog park, I stopped at the McDonald's drive-through and got some hash browns to share with Molly. And then we went home and napped on the bed INDOORS. We had a great time.

Go ahead, judge me. I dare you. B)

Guest StriderDog

Jcannady, you won't make any friends on this board by making personal attacks against one of our most loving, caring members.

Either accept answers to your questions with good grace, or leave.

Guest 28paws

I happen to be married to the woman in the picture 'abusing' all those Greyhounds. She treats our pack better than she treats me. :lol

If it was up to me you would never be allowed to adopt a Greyhound. However, I do have a few pounds of Greyhound 'doo' looking for a home.

Guest Flysmom

I usually don't sound off much. HOWEVER, please ,don't attack any of the folks here. That is uncalled for!!!! The people who responded to your post had Greyhounds for years and years and really know what they say and recommend. They are the ones I would turn to if I had a question!

Even me and I only had Greyhounds for 6 years now, shook my head about the idea of letting a Hound run loose on your property - an accident waiting to happen. They are not Farm Dogs. We have an fenced in acre here and my boys love to run and have fun for about 10 minutes and then they want to be inside with us and pretty much sleep.

If you read and search this forum you will see that all of the Greyhounds here are cared and loved for. I am not trying to say that you are not doing this for your pack. We all here try to give our Greyhounds the best food we can, give the best medical care and yes - SPOIL them rotten! Reseach the breed and you will realize that a Greyhound might not be the best breed for you.

Guest tbrodzel

Hopefully everyone has calmed down a bit.

I am a new dog owner and new to greyhounds (adopted my first one in November 2009). One of the reasons I chose to adopt a greyhound was because they do so well in the home. I have heard greyhounds referred to as "athletic couch potatoes" and that is so TRUE for my Brynna. I take her for a walk or to the dog park once a day for a nice run. After a few laps she is tired, hot, thirsty and ready to go home. If I take her to the dog park when it is warm out, she may not even run. Most times she is curled up in a little ball on her dog bed or the couch. To me she seems to be a very happy, healthy dog and playful with her indoor life. Just like humans, not all breeds are the same so what is good for one may not be good for the other.

For your awesome property in the south, it sounds like a breed with lots of energy and a need for space would be perfect. Don't settle till you find the right dog for you. All the best in your search.

Guest Energy11

NOPE!! A Greyhound is NOT FOR YOU!!!

And, Yes, the person on that photo IS WONDERFUL, and I would trust ANY of my Five with her, as well! Her dogs are very very lucky, and MOST of us on this board treat our dogs as our family members. I KNOW I treat mine better than my husband, and he understands!

Greyhounds DO NOT belong outdoors on acres and acres of land! They need exercise, yes, but, in moderation. They are HOUSE DOGS!

PLEASE DO NOT GET A GREYHOUND, and I am pretty sure, most adoption groups would NOT approve you. Sorry! Time for another type of dog. sad.gif

Edited by Energy11

Guest zoolaine

I love that photo! What happy, lucky hounds to get a little treat. We here on GT love our greys and know what they need. They need LOVE, a soft bed and yes the occasional french fry!!!!!! Or maybe ice cream :lol I am not sure what you want but making personal attacks on a loved GT member is making an attack on all of us. Greyhounds are not the "typical" dog. I don't think a greyhound or GT is for you. I am sure you can find your perfect farm dog at the local shelter.

Why did you ask the question when clearly your mind had already been made up about dogs being dogs? Yes, greyhounds are dogs but they are also sighthounds which again you clearly know nothing about, yet you seem to think you do.

Makes no difference because by now every adoption group in Georgia

(and surrounding states) knows about you and you will not be adopting a greyhound from any of them.

In the future when you think it is a brilliant idea to come to a board as a brand new poster you might want to THINK before you attack anyone, let alone a long time board member, greyhound ambassador and greyhound seizure expert.

Excuse me, I am off to share some onion rings with my hounds. Shall I call the food police now or do you want to?

Guest wmlcml6

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f0q9muIhIAQ/S-2vzdnhTkI/AAAAAAAAAAM/6yz32B7xXs8/S640/French+Fries!.jpg

Wow. You really are a judgmental and contrary individual. You don't know anything about Mike and Judy, and you certainly don't know me (the very unashamed person who adopted 4 siblings to them). I do my adoptions on a case-by-case basis, and I usually make it a practice not adopt to families who have 4-5 dogs already, less depending on their county limits. However, this couple is special. They know more about each and every one of their dogs than most people who only have 2 or 3. I have pretty tough standards when I adopt my retired racers out, and frankly, I would not adopt one to a person that intended to let it have free roam of many acres or who might be inclined to leave it outside. A greyhound is definitely not meant to live outside. Even if they were, they want to be with their people. They crave human interaction.

What you erroneously assume from the picture you posted is that french fries are a daily occurence in this home. I happen to know that these dogs are fed on a very regimented program, and they get lots of TLC and exercise. They do get treats on occasion, but what dog doesn't? Do you see an out of shape dog there? How about Saint, who was having life threatening seizures but under this families diligent care has now been seizure free for what .. 3 years now? Moreoever, Judy works from home, so the dogs are never left unattended. Mike andJudy do so much for greyhound welfare whether it be sending supplies or money where it's needed, or fostering a dog until it can get to the group or home it needs to go to.

Talk about me if you want, but back off our friends.

Guest PhillyPups

Do you realize in your situation one of the greyhounds in that picture who is thoroughly enjoying his french fry would be dead? Killed by his littermates and packmates? He has been seizure free for over 5 years and the woman in the picture, whom I am PROUD to call my friend has been bitten as has her husband to protect Saint from an attack by his littermates while he was seizing. Judge them in a negative light? I don't think so.

I have been in their home, they have a well adjusted pack of greyhounds that enjoy a french fry now and then as a special treat. What is your problem?? :dunno

in this weather a greyhound could die of heat exhaaustion in your scenario. Even the racing kennels are air conditioned and they would freeze in a winter.

Now maybe you can find a rock to crawl under with a container of french fries!! :angryfire