Need Help - Merlin Has A Growth On His Gum

This morning I was brushing the dogs' teeth and I noticed that Merlin has a fairly large growth on his gum. It's very hard to the touch. My vet is closed today, but I am thinking I should call them tomorrow to make an appointment. Have you seen this before? What do you think it could be?

P1190663.jpg

P1190667.jpg

Could it have been caused by chewing on the rawhide I gave them the other day (and yesterday)? They don't usually get it.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated... right now it doesn't seem to be hurting him.

:unsure

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guessing it's an epulis. Lenny had one. My vet took care of it when Lenny had his dental.

They're usually benign but always best to have the vet check it out

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

What cbudshome said :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you very much to you both.... I looked up epulis and found another GT thread about it... it looks just like Merlin's. I'll call my vet tomorrow morning. I guess I'll schedule a dental at the same time, he's due one, I was just procrastinating because I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to the hounds' dentals... :(

Thank you!

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest bigbrindlebunny

I've got no wisdom, never do. We're just sending Merlin good thoughts for a good Vet visit and dental. biggrin.gif

When I saw your topic title, I thought epulis, too. Good luck at the vet. :) His teeth look pretty clean, too.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

When I saw your topic title, I thought epulis, too. Good luck at the vet. :) His teeth look pretty clean, too.

:lol The ones at the back are pretty bad, he hasn't had a dental in two and a half years.

Thanks for your input and good thoughts! :colgate

Edited by MerlinsMum

Teddy had the same thing on the roof of his mouth. The only reason I noticed it was because he roaches so much with his mouth hanging open, I could see it. When he had his 1st dental, I had it removed. it was benign and I suspect Merlins would be as well.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Fasave

Just adding my guy was diagnosed with a benign epulis last week on the roof of his mouth. Sending good thoughts to Merlin!

Just adding my guy was diagnosed with a benign epulis last week on the roof of his mouth. Sending good thoughts to Merlin!

That's such a relief! Glad he is going to be okay. Let's hope Merlin is just as lucky... Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I have an appointment to see my vet tomorrow afternoon.

Looks like you've got your answer, I just wanted to compliment you and the quality of the pics - it's not easy taking a picture of a greyhound's gumline lol!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)