Fireworks

Guest vtgreys

Guest vtgreys

Out of all the dogs I've had none has ever had an issue with fireworks - but now that I have a princess in my life, she does not like fireworks. Some idiot in my neighborhood decided to launch their's at 11 pm last night when I just snuggled into bed with the pups. Tessa was a trembling mess and for the first round I was able to calm her by just hugging her, but when the second round hit she jumped off the bed and hid her head in the closet. Any tips on what I can do to calm her other than valium (which I don't have)? Duke barely even lifted his head the whole time. My one cat jumped up really high with the first boom, but then he was fine. I hope the neighbors used up all their fireworks last night, but I am preparing myself for a repeat tonight.

Guest Sweetreba

There is another topic about 4th of July on this site in Behavior and Training. I got acepromazide for mine after Fri. night. It worked good for my dog and just calmed her so the shaking and panting stopped and she slept through it. I called our adoption coordinator and they told me, which I enforced also, never hug and baby them it just increases the behavior. If they listen and you tell them to lay down as a command eventually they will understand this is not a good behavior. He said it took a year to really get his grey over the Tstorms and fireworks but it worked. He said if they lay next to you fine but not to pet or touch just let them know you are there. I did this last night with mine and she listened and layed down but she also had 10 mg of the med. It just took the edge off. I don't like to medicate so I am going to try just the training for the T storms after we get through the fireworks, that is the worst.

Vtgreys, try Benedryl. Make sure it's the kind without extra additives for assorted human symptoms. Just plain Benedryl pills or the generic from Walmart. Take Tessa out for her last potty earlier than usual, say 7-8pm. If she has to go out later then hopefully by midnight the fireworks idiots will be done with their nonsense.

Please avoid Ace unless as an absolute last resort. While a few GTers have had success, keep in mind your dog may look relaxed but could still be paralyzed with fear and unable to express it. Not something I would ever want to feel myself.

There are several other good tips here .

Tonight keep your house a bit noisy with the TVs on and ceiling fans too. Anything to mask outside noises. If you start to hear the fireworks, try to distract your dog by playing games and rewarding with treats - so long as the treat is for the game and not for the fearful behavior.

Good luck! Our newer boy had trouble last night too and the Benedryl was a tremendous help.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Vtgreys, try Benedryl. Make sure it's the kind without extra additives for assorted human symptoms. Just plain Benedryl pills or the generic from Walmart. Take Tessa out for her last potty earlier than usual, say 7-8pm. If she has to go out later then hopefully by midnight the fireworks idiots will be done with their nonsense.

Please avoid Ace unless as an absolute last resort. While a few GTers have had success, keep in mind your dog may look relaxed but could still be paralyzed with fear and unable to express it. Not something I would ever want to feel myself.

There are several other good tips here .

Tonight keep your house a bit noisy with the TVs on and ceiling fans too. Anything to mask outside noises. If you start to hear the fireworks, try to distract your dog by playing games and rewarding with treats - so long as the treat is for the game and not for the fearful behavior.

Good luck! Our newer boy had trouble last night too and the Benedryl was a tremendous help.

Great advice, Ducky!

I, too would AVOID the Ace. It is not a good medication for these dogs, and most sighthound savvy vets will NOT give it.

Good Luck!

Guest Vers

Poor Tessa, but the above from macoduck has a very good chance of helping her. Tire Tessa out, keep her busy, and keep the house noisy and bright. It worked here, and I hope it works for you!