Found A Flea On Sophie (Seizure Dog)

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

I found a flea (well I think it was a flea) on Sophie today. <_< Yesterday she had a bit of a rash on her neck which I assumed was from her tag necklace, so I swapped that for a velvet tag collar. Now I'm thinking it was from flea bites? :( Nothing on her flank which is where flea dermatitis usually shows up first.

Sophie has epilepsy so I don't give her Frontline. What else can I give her? She also enjoys laying in the dirt so I'm sure bugs are attracted to her. I hosed her off outside today because it was warm (and she had poop on her leg....) and that's when I saw the flea. The other dogs get Frontline and even though some people report it not working in their area, it has always worked fine here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

~Lindsay~

Frontline and Advantage are probably the safest two things out there for fleas :( .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We had a dog with mild seizures before his hypothyroidism was diagnosed. Our group recommended using a half-dose of flea med instead of a whole one. Worked fine.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Soap *may* kill any existing fleas, if they get covered by enough of it for a long enough time. On an infested dog, it won't kill that many of them, and it won't prevent reinfestation.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I heard the Dawn is an old wifes tale from a groomer friend of mine.

You could try Adams Flea and Tick Mist. It has been around for YEARS, and it is safe. My Curfew has "episodes..." not diagnosed as seizures, but vets think so, I think mini strokes. Anyway, he uses Adams and is fine!

Good Luck!

Ryan is a seizure dog and does fine with front line. I just don't like it. The frontline spray seems to be working fine and hasn't bothered him either.

My mom has little dogs and 2 of them were seizure dogs and they couldn't do frontline. She uses capstar

Capstar might be a safer chemical method, it works just for the first 24 hours so it will kill any fleas on your dog, and then be out of her system.

For non-chemical methods, we've had success at Camp Greyhound using DE topically on the dogs. Apply carefully, you don't need a ton, and it will dry the coat out a bit. It takes time to work, but it does work. Then vacuum, vacuum, vacuum - 95% of fleas are gotten rid of in the vacuum. Needless to say, frequent bag changes are required, or if you have a deep freeze, pop the bag in a garbage bag and into the freezer overnight.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest LindsaySF

Thanks for the replies. I've given her a few more baths outside (just water), and haven't seen any other bugs, so hopefully it was a fluke. I Frontlined my two boarders just in case. I will call the vet once they are open and ask for advice, maybe a half-dose of Frontline or a Capstar instead.

Here's a dumb question I suppose. If she doesn't do any scratching and her rash doesn't come back, and I don't see any flea dirt, can I assume she's flea-free? I've never really had this issue before, I just Frontline everyone usually....

I just vacuumed so that's good. I am going to wash the beds too. I didn't see any flea dirt on any of the beds so hopefully that's a good sign. :goodluck

I'll see what the vet says about spraying with Adam's. A friend on Facebook also recommended Ectopamine Natural Flea & Tick Spray. It's supposedly all natural with peppermint, cinnamon, lemon grass, clove & thyme oils, vanillin, and isopropyl alcohol. Anyone have any experience with it? I googled the ingredients and none of them seem to be seizure-triggers (some essential oils can be).

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

I have been using Confortis because that is what the adoption people had him on, but they only gave him 1/2 tab. My vet said that since it was not "scored" in the middle you could not give 1/2 dose because you did not know which side of the tablet the medicine was on...so, I have been giving him 1 whole tablet. Is there anything to this and is Confortis safe to give him? Thanks

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

With my GSD who was a seizure dog I always used the spray on Frontline.

The nice thing with Frontline is it should last through your flea season.

I prefer the spray stuff as it's spread out over the whole body instead of being in one central area.

I've never seen reactions to the spray where the Top Spot I have.

In terms of medication safety for mammals, Frontline is probably the best there is. That's not saying an individual animal couldn't react to it, but I'd guess the reaction to be from the carrier or triggered from the scent. The active ingredients are exceptionally insect-oriented.