Gus Ate A Pen!

Guest HoundyGirl

Guest HoundyGirl

Gus just ate a plastic pen. He didn't get any of the ink, but he chomped up the plastic barrel. Is this an emergency vet situation or is this a wait and see thing? What are the signs I should be looking for in case something goes wrong?

Guest Samantha

Gus just ate a plastic pen. He didn't get any of the ink, but he chomped up the plastic barrel. Is this an emergency vet situation or is this a wait and see thing? What are the signs I should be looking for in case something goes wrong?

Oh dear :lol:. I usually give afew slices of bread for things they have swallowed makes it easier to pass, watch out for it coming out :lol:. Obviously you know your pup and if he seems distressed or in discomfort to you then yes a vet visit. Otherwise I would just keep a close watch on him. Maddison ate quite abit of a TV remote last week, she was fine..and it all came out :lol:

Oh dear laugh.gif. I usually give afew slices of bread for things they have swallowed makes it easier to pass, watch out for it coming out laugh.gif. Obviously you know your pup and if he seems distressed or in discomfort to you then yes a vet visit. Otherwise I would just keep a close watch on him. Maddison ate quite abit of a TV remote last week, she was fine..and it all came out laugh.gif

Ditto!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest GentleHugs

I don't think I would make him vomit because those plastic pieces can be sharp and could cut or puncture his esophagus! In the same thought though - if they move through with out some sort of cushion around them - they can cut or perforate the intestinal tract as well.

I think I'd call the vet and get him in or see what they recommend - maybe some bread soaked in milk or water or some cotton balls soaked in milk or water - something to cushion and wrap around those sharp plastic pieces. I'm not a vet but if it were my dog - it would be vet visit time.

Guest Energy11

NO... please don't make him vomit! Like Gentlehugs said, the sharp pieces could cut important structures/organs, coming back up. I'd do what was already recommended here ... Give a few slices of bread to "cushion" the plastic, and monitor him closely.

Any signs of discomfort, lethargy, trying to vomit, blood in poop, etc., and yes, he would need to see a vet. Glad he didn't get the ink!

Good luck!

Guest HoundyGirl

I finally got a hold of my brother who's a vet. He suggested taking a wait & see approach and echoed what you all said about what to watch out for. Thanks everyone!