God Speed Cofax, Tina's Tribute

CaliforniaGreys

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=TGc

xfH&d=rnr+cofax&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

RNR Cofax, Cofax May 9, 2001 – July 1, 2010

Everyone's Fur Friend

My inspiration in life. My shadow puppy, goofball, sweetness, my every thing. She found us by accepting ReRun as her new brother in December 2004, just after Lambie Pie left us. She had gone from foster family to foster family and even returned from adoptive families. She was the one, no one wanted. It was said she killed 2 chickens and a cat and had attacked a child. I wouldn't doubt her hunting abilities, but she wouldn't have attacked a child. She did love to play and would grab hold of your hand or whatever part she could reach with a good strong bite hold. She learned quickly with me that that was not good behavior when I would bite her back. She came to us through a group in New Hampshire but had fallen between things in that her shots weren't update, nor her medical records and a severe ear infection that took us over a year to clear up. She was feisty and full of spirit. She also didn't know right from wrong so off to school we went. She graduated from Pre-School with her head held high. She taught ReRun how to run and play in the snow. She loved the snow and was the first greyhound we ever knew that could actually sit (and all the way to the ground too).

She never raced much. After seeing her run, we could understand why. The very first day we brought her home, she ran around the yard and almost tumbled head over tail! She had a run where her front legs pointed in and her back pointed out. Every time I walked behind her on stairs I would laugh. Her butt would wiggle like Mae West! I never caught that wiggle on camera.

After we moved to NY, she got real sick and was given less than 50% chance of making it. They had never seen anything like this before at the vet's office. She had an infection from one end to another. They had to take out her bowel and hand wash it before putting her back together. They called her their miracle pup. They never guess how much she would grow on them….. I believe she considered them her second family and visa versa.

She made people smile no matter where she went. Especially when she would go visit my uncle in the assisted living home. We would also go to see others while we were there.

She could turn the worst days into a roar of laughter. She loved life and nature so much. She's the only animal I have ever been able to sketch not alone be the inspiration for my writing books. I promised her I wouldn't stop. I will have her many memories and experiences to continue to inspire me….. after some time of dealing with the emptiness.

Her last days we spent the last 2 nights sleeping on the floor in the garage, bringing in pillows and blankets to make it as comfortable as possible. I piled the pillows from the yard lounge chairs together for me. I had promised her a night under the stars, but it was a bit too chilly and too many bugs. Her main reason was to be closer to the bathroom. It was getting very hard for her to do steps, even the one step to the house from the garage. I didn't work so I could stay home with her all throughout her time here in NY with us. We learned to do so many things together. She loved to cook, or at least help Mom cook. She would pick out which clothes I should wear now and then too. The three of us slept together in a king size bed – that never seemed to be big enough. We made sure she had a bed or blanket in every room that we had our own chairs to sit on. She had three toy boxes that over flowed every where. Even after her amputation, she didn't give up or give in. She still did everything she could do – just maybe not as good as before. She inspired so many when she greeted them at the vet or anywhere, like at the stores where we would go shopping. She's still the only dog I know that would rather have a gift card than a toy!

That meant she could go shopping herself.

About 2 weeks ago, I was sitting with her in the living room on the floor when all of a sudden she lifted her head and turned toward the hallway, ears pointed, tail wiggle, and a look of peace and excitement on her face. I couldn't see anyone or anything where she was looking. I asked, do you see ReRun? She quickly looked at me then turned back. I'm sure he was there to tell her it's time to go. That night, we slept in that same room on the floor and as I was looking out the window at the stars, there was a bright spark that seemed like it was in the house – not outside and right above the candle (battery type) I kept lit for her and the 3 greyhound statues I have. I knew that was Lambie Pie. That was our secret code so I knew when she was around. That was her sparkle from her jewels. At breakfast and dinner a couple of times after, Cofax would do something that only ReRun did – she buried her bowl so she could get something better to eat. That confirmed my feelings.

This morning, Cofax got me up around 3:30am. She was frustrated that she couldn't "go" and even gave out a bark. She tried to convince me to take her to the grass, but I wouldn't. I was afraid that she would break a leg, they were so swollen. As we waited for Dad to wake up, I talked to her and asked her if she thought it was time. She gave me a kiss on my hand. She would do that to Bob – but she never ever did it to me. I knew we couldn't fix her this time. I got Bob up and called the vet to admit her. We left her there with a blanket from home, a chicken meal, treats and cookies from her Auntie Jan. By 9am when I talked to the vet on duty, he had taken x-rays for her reg. vets. They confirmed the worst. She was filled with tumors. Everyone was surprised. She didn't have that much trouble breathing and would still run just 2 days before. By the time we got to the vet, she could barely stand but greeting me with big wet kisses as she was loosing all control over her other end.

We got the okay to take her to the park where she loved to go "fly" with her head out the window and see all the other puppies. In her good days, we would go for walks – even in the snow. On the way to the park, we stopped and had a hot dog and brought some ice cream to the park. She lay in the wet grass for awhile, until she was even having a hard time holding herself up that way. So we headed back. Everyone came to say their goodbyes and tell her how they loved her all during the day. In the room, I set up her sofa bed with a bunch of her favorite toys, including her favorite football, her healing blanket from Circle of Grey that had helped her so much just so little time before and her new favorite blanket from Auntie Beryl. I put her new tag collar on – it had stars on it and I told her it was to remind her that I will always look at the stars to see her and she can always come and visit us. I put on her fancy bead necklace so she looked pretty to meet ReRun. I sprayed her down and softly brushed her until her vet came in. One of the techs stayed as long as she could and cried with me. We tried to be strong. Bob waited in the truck – he couldn't handle it up to the very end. Even our vet said he doesn't think he'll be able to be there when it's his dog's turn. He said this is hard enough now. She was very comfortable as he started. She lifted her head toward her vet as if to say its okay and thank you, then looked at me. I kissed her on her head and she closed her eyes. I just kept repeating how much I loved her and to find ReRun and be sure to meet Lambie Pie. I told her how so many people from so many different places love her and will miss her. I just kept repeating I loved her and thanked her as she peacefully left holding her favorite toy and blanket. Her healing blanket, bunny toy and collars will go with her. She'll return home in about a week. The sofa will be cleaned and donated to the vet to give comfort to other pets that will pass. Her vet said we'll call it the Cofax memorial sofa. Her walk-about harness was also donated to the vet.

She's gone from here and going on to her new adventure without us. Now is the hard part of dealing with the emptiness at home and in my life. She was such a big part. There seems to be a bit of her every where. There's so much more I could write........ and maybe one day my heart will let me and help me to do that.

Run Free sweetness…….. no more pain, you are whole again. Run Free my love.

With your paw in my hand we will love unconditionally.

I do have some photos that we took at the park today. I haven't been able to view them yet..... my heart just isn't ready. But if you would like to see them when I do - email me.

Thank you everyone for loving her with me. Let's honor that love by sharing it with others.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Claudia, you beat me to it. I was coming here to post Cofax's tribute. I'm sitting here in tears.

Cofax, you run free. You remember how very loved you are. Find ReRun and kiss your big brother. I told Morgaine and Scarlett to come and find you.

Oh no oh no oh no.

Tina, my eyes are filled with tears and my heart is so heavy. Hugs to you and your DH.

Run with the wind, most precious Cofax.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:cry1:gh_run Run free, Cofax.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Even when you know it's coming, it hits like a brick.

God speed to you special girl, I know no other who is loved so deeply and without condition.

I have no doubt that you struggled to leave your mom and dad, know that we will take care of them and try to help heal their very broken hearts.

I will look for your star tonight, because I know it will be the brightest in the heavens.

Misty will be so honored to meet you

I love you little girl, and T, my good friend, you are never out of my thoughts.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

What an amazing tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss. Godspeed Cofax.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I have been following Cofax since the beginning of this C. I just can't believe it. The tears will not stop. Yesterday in the mail the Cofax poster I had ordered "unconditional love" arrived. This is the one where Cofax's paw (the front leg that was amputated) is in Tina's hand. I am so glad that I ordered it and will always cherish it. I will have it framed. Godspeed Cofax and may the wind always be at your back sweet girl. There were so many of us that loved you. I have privately sent my sympathies to Tina and Bob. I am numb

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I just read Tina's email. I met Cofax this past Saturday. She had just returned from the e-vet and seemed comfortable. I so hoped to have her meet Phene and Treasure later this month. That won't happen, but I'm sure Loca greeted her at the Bridge.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Energy11

flowers_pink.gifghrun.gif That tribute was beyond wonderful!

God Speed Cofax, ... who is running free at The Bridge, with all our loved ones. God comfort her mommy and daddy, too, during their time of grief.

Love and prayers, Dee, Curfew, Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee and Goldie.

Guest jade1046

Tina and Bob - I'm so very sorry Cofax had to leave you. What a wonderful retirement she had with you! Godspeed beautiful girl. :gh_run2:f_pink

Cofax - mere words cannot convey the sorrow I feel for the loss of such a brave, special and beloved hound. For one with such a misunderstood beginning, she was able to adopt her own family, on her terms, and love them as only a greyhound can, with her whole heart. Because pain is the price we pay for love, my heart will cry with yours Tina. I will also celebrate her life with you, grateful and happy that another remarkable hound was loved well and lived comfortably enfolded within her chosen family. My hope for you is that all of her memories bring happiness to your heart, peace to your soul and the knowledge that Cofax was not only loved by you and you family, but by all who crossed her path. A special life, adored and cherished. What more could a hound ask for.heart-2.gif

L.

runningrainbow.gif

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

weep.gif It has been the saddest of days. Tina and Bob, I am so, so sorry. You all fought the bravest of battles, I am so sorry that it ended too soon. Remember that missing someone is a way of keeping them with us even when they are not. Cofax is running with Lambie Pie and ReRun, stars brightly shining.grouphug.gif

Godspeed sweet Cofax ghrun.gif

Unconditionallove.jpg

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so, so sorry :(:cry1 :cry1

:grouphug :grouphug :f_white

Rest in peace, Cofax.... :gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 My sympathy to Tina and Bob.

Godspeed Cofax.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)