Hookworm Outbreak At Playgroup

There has been a minor hookworm outbreak at playgroup. 2 of 15 or so greys have been diagnosed with hookworm this week. I am trying to figure out how to handle this. I spoke with my vet's office and they instructed me to bring a stool sample. Ordinarily, that would be fine. However, at this current time, for personal reasons, I cannot bring 5 stool samples to the vet for testing when I realize that it could be read as a false negative anyway.

Any suggestions as to how to deal with this? At the same time, I have switched around their food source and am dealing with soft stools in all of them. No blood, red or black, is seen and while the stool is soft - yuck - it isn't more frequent in anyone. No one has lost any weight, their coats look good, no changes in gums.

TIA!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest lizmego

Why change their food? They should be placed on a de-wormer. Your larger concern should be that wherever your pups are playing at playgroup that the soil is contaminated with hookworms and all dogs would most likely get re-infected each time they play on that soil. Its my understanding that hookworms enter the dog through the pads of their feet. I know there are others who have gone through getting rid of hooks, I have never had to (thank goodness). I'm sure more experienced people will chime in here. Good luck!

Pyrantel: MedlinePlus Drug Information

Pyrantel, an antiworm medication, is used to treat roundworm, hookworm, ...

You can purchase over the counter (mail order) deworming medicine. Dogs getting worms is normal. I deworm ours every 3 months since we have fosters in and out all the time.

Google for Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension - pinworm treatment. I purchase the 32 oz size. Someone on GT can help you with the doseage. This is the banana tasting medicine the vet probably gives your dogs once a year as part of a physical. They say they dewormed your dogs

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest KennelMom

You could always just de-worm everyone.

I live in the South and worms of all sorts tend to thrive here year round. It's just a part of life. I don't think 2 dogs at playgroup having hookworm would really make me do anything differently (though if you have playgroup at a dog park or other area where large populations of dogs frequent, you can bet that ground is pretty ripe for picking up worms).

Guest TeddysMom

Pyrantel: MedlinePlus Drug Information

Pyrantel, an antiworm medication, is used to treat roundworm, hookworm, ...

You can purchase over the counter (mail order) deworming medicine. Dogs getting worms is normal. I deworm ours every 3 months since we have fosters in and out all the time.

Google for Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension - pinworm treatment. I purchase the 32 oz size. Someone on GT can help you with the doseage. This is the banana tasting medicine the vet probably gives your dogs once a year as part of a physical. They say they dewormed your dogs

1 cc per 6 pounds of bodyweight. I use this every 2 months until the ground freezes.

As I recall, some heartworm medicines also treat hookworm. If you are on one of these meds, then treating the hooks shouldn't be a problem but, what will be a problem is that the dogs will keep on getting reinfected if the ground is not treated (as someone previously in the thread spoke about).