Surgery Scheduled

Guest Fasave

Guest Fasave

I have scheduled Avalanche's surgery to remove his salivary gland and then secondarily, the epulis on the roof of his mouth at the same time if surgery for the gland goes well. It is scheduled for next Wednesday. They were ready to do it tomorrow but I needed more time to prepare mentally and he is in no immediate danger or risk.

What these surgeries will require is an incision along his lower jaw line and the removal of two front teeth. I've been through tooth lose with a couple of dogs so I pretty much know what to expect with that piece. What I'm a little worried about is the stitches along his jaw. I know he won't be able to chew them but I would think if he wanted he could scratch them with his back leg. I can't quite imagine how he can wear an e-collar that wouldn't rub against the stitches as well. I was thinking that perhaps I could rig something like one of the travel pillows and somehow wrap it around his front legs and chest. Anyone been through this surgery before? Any thoughts? He will have a drain as well for potentially up to three days. He's going to be pretty miserable for a few days. I would love any thoughts or suggestions on how I can make this easier on him.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on how far back the stitches go, he might be able to wear the plastic lampshade. If so, get a clear one! Could also try one of those inflatables -- not sure it would work, but worth a try.

When they have stitches on head or neck, I usually put a well-padded sock on the back foot on that side (sometimes the front one too) and vetwrap/tape it on (the sock). Minimizes the damage if they do scratch.

Do you know anybody who could babysit him while you're at work?

P.S. Hope the surgery goes well and he makes a fast recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No experience but will be praying for uneventful surgery and recovery.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Fasave

Good idea with socks on the feet. Also, I never thought about the front leg but you're right that they can reach over their heads. He's my corn dog as well so he's pretty used to having things on his feet. I'll be with him 24/7 as long as needed as I'm currently not working. I guess there's a shining lining in everything :lol. I also have two nieces who are home from college for the Summer so they can come babysit if needed. I just know how quickly things can happen so things like, taking a shower or running into another room to get something. He's a sneaky one.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I'm nervous but hopeful it will all turn out okay.